Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2015, 21:49   #781
Senior - BHPian
 
GrammarNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 1,589 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I got this message on my phone. When you send the message, they will register the complaint and provide you the number. Usually they will resolve in a day.
Thanks, will try this now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
check your router to see if you have metering available there as an option. I have 125Gb with Cherrinet and I seem to exhaust this within 20 days. However I do download stuff. I do have this metering option on my router and plan to check this when my next months cycle starts.
Thanks!
I have an "Asus N13U B1". Will check if it has this function.

They did send the usage history with "3-hourly" usage list. They do have abrupt usage spurts, but can't anything make much of it. Anyway.
GrammarNazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2015, 23:18   #782
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
have an "Asus N13U B1". Will check if it has this function.
This is what my router app shows me. Does not give me breakdown but will check the next cycle and compare with the online report from Cherrinet.
Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1451411291.076555.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  82.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1451411300.041966.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  72.7 KB
diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 19:34   #783
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I have an Airtel 8Mbps/512kbps plan and has been observing a strange behavior. Every now and then the speed drops to less than 512kbps and stays there. (well within the FUP) The DNS fails first (not resolving the hosts) but the VPN connection (to my office network) stays. Things will get back if I restart the modem. Had many sessions with Airtel tech support but no solution. Initially it was once in a day especially in the evenings, but now its happening too often. To rule out the possibility of modem issue, i swapped with another one, but having the same issue. All the other Airtel connections in my apartment does not have any similar problems.

My setup: D-Link DSL-2520U modem configured as bridge to ASUS RT-N66U router.

I tried changing the DNS to google (8.8.8.8) but still same issue, so reverted back to Airtel's. All speeds tested with testmy.net.

It is an Airtel back-end issue, but I am not sure how to go about getting this fixed. Anyone had a similar experience?
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2016, 19:48   #784
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,734
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have an Airtel 8Mbps/512kbps plan and has been observing a strange behavior. Every now and then the speed drops to less than 512kbps and stays there. (well within the FUP) The DNS fails first (not resolving the hosts) but the VPN connection (to my office network) stays. Things will get back if I restart the modem. Had many sessions with Airtel tech support but no solution. Initially it was once in a day especially in the evenings, but now its happening too often. To rule out the possibility of modem issue, i swapped with another one, but having the same issue. All the other Airtel connections in my apartment does not have any similar problems.

My setup: D-Link DSL-2520U modem configured as bridge to ASUS RT-N66U router.

I tried changing the DNS to google (8.8.8.8) but still same issue, so reverted back to Airtel's. All speeds tested with testmy.net.

It is an Airtel back-end issue, but I am not sure how to go about getting this fixed. Anyone had a similar experience?
I think this is an Airtel problem.

a) You have a noisy line (connection) from the modem to DSLAM with static and/or hum on it which causes the modem to retrain and drop speed. Make sure the cable wire is a continuous stretch from the modem to the DSLAM without any joints.

b) Distance between two points also affects speed as it causes drop in signal strength. How far are you from the DSLAM?

c) It is the 'backbone' from your DSLAM to the NOC that's getting overloaded. This is possible but it is also the least likely reason.

Please check the line stats in the modem statistics page. To do this you will need to disconnect it from the router's WAN port, and connect it directly to your comp, log into the modem and observe the stats. Do post them here if possible.

You'd require Airtel's line techs/engineers to help you improve the situation.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th January 2016 at 19:50.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 16:53   #785
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I think this is an Airtel problem.

a) You have a noisy line (connection) from the modem to DSLAM with static and/or hum on it which causes the modem to retrain and drop speed. Make sure the cable wire is a continuous stretch from the modem to the DSLAM without any joints.

b) Distance between two points also affects speed as it causes drop in signal strength. How far are you from the DSLAM?

c) It is the 'backbone' from your DSLAM to the NOC that's getting overloaded. This is possible but it is also the least likely reason.

Please check the line stats in the modem statistics page. To do this you will need to disconnect it from the router's WAN port, and connect it directly to your comp, log into the modem and observe the stats. Do post them here if possible.

You'd require Airtel's line techs/engineers to help you improve the situation.
Thanks R2D2 for your reply.

The DSLAM is approx 300m-500m from the apartment. And the wiring is around 3 years old. Here is the ADSL stats:
Name:  adsl_stats.png
Views: 1071
Size:  34.5 KB

This is when the connection is good. I will try to get the info when the connection is slow. And you are right - i need to connect directly to the modem to get the stats when the problem happens.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2016, 17:47   #786
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,734
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Thanks R2D2 for your reply.

The DSLAM is approx 300m-500m from the apartment. And the wiring is around 3 years old. Here is the ADSL stats:


This is when the connection is good. I will try to get the info when the connection is slow. And you are right - i need to connect directly to the modem to get the stats when the problem happens.
Your stats are looking good; without much attenuation and the SNR margin is very good too. Even errors are zero except in the upstream. So from this list of modem stats I do not believe your line is an issue. Probably between the DSLAM to the NOC. IIRC at 17dB attenuation the DSLAM should be about 1-1.3 Km away, this measured via running length of the cable, not as the crow flies. Pretty good IMO! Your modem is synched at 10 Mbps upstream and about 0.9 Mbps downstream, which again IMO is good speed. Note the max speed attainable - it shows 23.5 Mbps, a good indicator of the line quality.

I get approx. the same stats from my DSL modem but with higher errors as it's is a BSNL POTS line, not a dedicated cable from the modem to the DSLAM as in your case. Also, my DSL modem throws up more errors which is due to the higher sync speed (16 Mbps), while max speed attainable is about 21.5 Mbps due to the distance from the exchange and SNR.

Either way do post stats when it starts giving you issues. Also, open a command prompt and issue the command "ping 202.54.10.2" (VSNL DNS server) and let me know what ping times you get during both optimal & bad performance sessions. You can also do this via the Run command in Windows.

If this performance drop happens only during some times of the day it could be because of usage patterns across different connections, loads increase during day during working hours (offices) and evening/night/weekends (homes). You'll be able to gauge the reason by the timings. But for a solution you will need to contact Airtel.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th January 2016 at 17:49.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 19:14   #787
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
But for a solution you will need to contact Airtel.
An update:
I tried a different DSL modem and the same issue persisted.

Had multiple calls to Airtel and was on the verge of discontinuing Airtel BB. I gave the ultimatum and I wanted someone to visit home to check the state of affairs and they agreed to send someone. Gets a call from the 'back-end' stating that there was some problem in the port and the issue is solved now. I checked at my end too and it looked to be fine. This was a month back. From last week the issue cropped up again. And same cycle repeats - and yesterday they said they will send someone. Again a call from 'back-end' saying the same thing. So for the last 24hrs, the speed is consistent.

In the mean time, while the issue was present, the speed would bounce back if I switch off/on the ADSL modem. And sometimes it would grind to halt every hour. And each time, the DNS fails and I got fed up with resetting the modem and tried to change the DNS setting in the router - just by hitting the apply button on the WAN page (no change in any setting). This would solve the issue. So this saved me from running to the modem and physically switching off the modem. I am not sure what happens in the background. The IP does not change, but I guess some re-negotiation happens with the DSLAM.

D-Link 2520u in bridge mode with Asus RT-N66U router.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 21:15   #788
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,734
Thanked: 878 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
An update:
I tried a different DSL modem and the same issue persisted.

Had multiple calls to Airtel and was on the verge of discontinuing Airtel BB. I gave the ultimatum and I wanted someone to visit home to check the state of affairs and they agreed to send someone. Gets a call from the 'back-end' stating that there was some problem in the port and the issue is solved now. I checked at my end too and it looked to be fine. This was a month back. From last week the issue cropped up again. And same cycle repeats - and yesterday they said they will send someone. Again a call from 'back-end' saying the same thing. So for the last 24hrs, the speed is consistent.

In the mean time, while the issue was present, the speed would bounce back if I switch off/on the ADSL modem. And sometimes it would grind to halt every hour. And each time, the DNS fails and I got fed up with resetting the modem and tried to change the DNS setting in the router - just by hitting the apply button on the WAN page (no change in any setting). This would solve the issue. So this saved me from running to the modem and physically switching off the modem. I am not sure what happens in the background. The IP does not change, but I guess some re-negotiation happens with the DSLAM.

D-Link 2520u in bridge mode with Asus RT-N66U router.

From what you have described, I begin to feel there's something wrong with either the card in the DSLAM or the DSLAM itself. Maybe a firmware upgrade at their end will be required or even a card replacement.

I have a problem where BSNL's DSLAM disconnects the link every few hours. Most of the times the link returns but at times it does not..staying off for 12 hours or more. The only way to resolve it is to lodge a complaint at 198. The most recent incident was 2 days back.

It gets resolved pretty quickly in the sense the link is back up. But the link dropping phenomenon does not go away. According to the BSNL exchange Engineer it's because of the 'high speed' VDSL connection of 16 Mbps. VDSL can theoretically go up to 100 Mbps too depending on the distance between the CPE/modem and DSLAM. So, frankly that's a load of rubbish because my phone line is near silent and several modem diagnostics report it can go up to 21-22 Mbps.

I am convinced its a fault with their card but then who's to tell them? Now that I have a You BB connection I will probably downgrade BSNL to 8 Mbps and use it as a failover solution. No point paying a premium for 16 Mbps.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 22:34   #789
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
From what you have described, I begin to feel there's something wrong with either the card in the DSLAM or the DSLAM itself. Maybe a firmware upgrade at their end will be required or even a card replacement.
Hmm. That rings a bell. Airtel recently started giving 16MBPS for the plan I was in, but mine stayed at 8Mbps. I called them and asked them to give 16Mbps, but for some reason they said that it cannot be provisioned due to a limitation in my area. But my immediate neighbor (same apartment) have 16Mbps connection. So a DSLAM issue cannot be ruled out. Thanks!
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2016, 11:47   #790
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 480
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

bejoy:

I am on Airtel BB, 8 mbps plan as well. I too have experienced the same problem as you, about three weeks back, then again a few days ago. The first time, they claimed there were no reports of outage, but later said there was a back-end problem which had been fixed. I did not call the second time, it got fixed on its own in a day.

I'm paying for 16 mbps, but they say only 8 mbps is supported in my area. I'm paying more for higher bandwidth and unlimited local and STD calling.

Airtel's once bullet-proof reliability is slowly going to the dogs. Unfortunately, for me, they are still the most reliable compared to everything else available. Unfortunately ACT is still nowhere in south Bangalore.
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2016, 14:31   #791
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 250
Thanked: 111 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Renewed my youbroadband with a 100Mbps plan from today. As expected, I get only 60-75Mbps down and 80-90Mbps up. I was on the 50Mbps plan last month and was consistently getting 48-59Mbps and nil downtime.

diyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 11:36   #792
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,387
Thanked: 3,779 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I had asked about which FTTH modem does BSNL use. It looks to be the Alphion AONT-100C. If yes, then this one is not wireless. Hence one needs to connect a wireless modem to this to get wi-fi access in the house.

http://www.allieddata.com/wp-content..._AONT-100C.pdf
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 11:44   #793
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,839
Thanked: 3,519 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I have an Airtel 8Mbps/512kbps plan and has been observing a strange behavior. Every now and then the speed drops to less than 512kbps and stays there. (well within the FUP) The DNS fails first (not resolving the hosts) but the VPN connection (to my office network) stays. Things will get back if I restart the modem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I tried a different DSL modem and the same issue persisted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I am on Airtel BB, 8 mbps plan as well. I too have experienced the same problem as you, about three weeks back, then again a few days ago.

Airtel's once bullet-proof reliability is slowly going to the dogs.
I am facing exactly the same problem with Airtel broadband here in Meerut since the last few months. No resolution in sight!!
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 13:02   #794
Senior - BHPian
 
DieselFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,569
Thanked: 232 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I have moved to ACT fibrenet connection at home and picked up the 50MBPS plan. It has been a good experience so far for last 1 month.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2016, 13:08   #795
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 628
Thanked: 404 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am facing exactly the same problem with Airtel broadband here in Meerut since the last few months. No resolution in sight!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
bejoy:
Airtel's once bullet-proof reliability is slowly going to the dogs. Unfortunately, for me, they are still the most reliable compared to everything else available. Unfortunately ACT is still nowhere in south Bangalore.
Sorry, I did not see your message earlier.
I agree the reliability of Airtel BB has gone really down.

The issue seems to be resolved for some time now (touch wood). However I keep hearing complaints from neighbours about speed problems. I called them up and changed my plan to a lower one (For the amount I was paying, they were giving 16mbps currently, and for my connection 8bmps seems the technical limit). They offered a discount of rs. 100 for 6 months, since they are not able to provide 16mbps.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes, My Service - Digital interactions, fast service and service plans up to 200,000 km dZired The Indian Car Scene 3 20th July 2016 16:05
new internet connection dadudeonfire Shifting gears 21 16th October 2005 00:52
Internet : Connection speed vs download speed!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 16 21st May 2005 03:59
How fast is your internet connection? dan400 Shifting gears 1 12th August 2004 17:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks