Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2017, 15:22   #931
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 12
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hi, I have opted for ACT as the service is pretty good in the neighbourhood.
Have paid up for 6 months and am getting the Netgear router. Hows this router?
I am on the same setup. It is decent. It provides good coverage over an area of 1200 sqft. But I am not happy with the wi-fi speeds. This could be a result of many networks in my neighbourhood but I get a lot of disconnections of my phone and nowhere close to the 40Mbps speed. No disconnections on my PC but again speeds over wi-fi are just, meh.

Just check reviews of both the routers to get a better comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
This is a direct line plugged to my PC from WiFi router. Otherwise WiFi had maxed out at 50 Mbps Download/Upload. Need to work with WiFi router (300N) to unlock the remaining bandwidth.

Cheers!
Thanks. Let us know if you find a solution.
5hadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:01   #932
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 414
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Theyre giving me the router free of cost as I paid 6 month upfront. Some new scheme. I'm getting Netgear.
Thanks for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel5915 View Post
Just tell them that you want to buy the router yourself, then ask them to configure it.
If already paid for, then ask them for a refund on the router cost.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 12:15   #933
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,887
Thanked: 3,679 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Upgraded my Airtel Broadband Landline to Binatone VDSL Router cum WiFi.New plan name: Airtel-UL-Pace 1199 80GB (16Mbps/512Kbps) COMBO Plan.
+20 GB for 2 other connections. Total 100GB


Speeds - 17.33 Mbps download 17.79 Upload

Till Jio Fiber reaches Meerut.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2017, 21:12   #934
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,140
Thanked: 4,568 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I recently upgraded my Airtel broadband to VDSL and ever since then, there were frequent internet drops in the evening. The DSL Connection was stable, but the internet connection would drop. I reported this and the technician came home and blindly said its because of poor internal wiring. We have the telephone cable replaced by CAT6 ethernet cables all around the house and his inference was absurd. Moreover, the DSL connection was very stable and never dropped. After rubbishing his claims, I told him that if at all the internal wiring were to be the problem, I would be better off with a fiber internet connection and I was sticking to VDSL only for the clean wiring.

Then this chap tried to do something at the exchange end and yet, nothing happened. I switched the DNS to openDNS and now the issue has not occurred again. Looks like their servers are not able to handle the load that crops up in the evening times when many households try to access the internet. Here are results from speedtest.net:

audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 14:17   #935
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 351
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I am having Airtel Connection at home. The plan was 1 MBPS unlimited for 899 per month. I wanted to change the plan for higher speeds. I was told that a new router will be required for change of plan. Even though my new plan was having 40 MBPS limit, at my place speed of only 8 MBPS was possible.

I had replaced original Beetle router provided by Airtel as its range was very limited. I have been using Dlink DSL-2750U modem at my place which has excellent coverage. At that time I was not aware about a new technology called VDSL and I was under the impression that I will be able to use this DLink router after this plan upgrade also. When the engineer visited my place, he informed me that my Dlink router will no longer work with this connection. He installed a new Beetle VDSL router which had a very limited range just like earlier ADSL router.

I was searching for a solution for this. After going through various you tube videos and forums, I realised that it is possible to use Beetle router as Modem and DLink router as router for wifi connectivity. I have taken following steps to get this setup working:

1. In DLink router I changed the default ip address to 192.168.1.10 so that there is no conflict between default ip of both the routers

2. In DLink router I upgraded firmware to what is available for middle east region from following site: https://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/index

3. After this upgrade, In DLink router I changed the WAN access type to Ethernet as explained in this video:
I also made necessary settings for wifi access in DLink router

4. Then I connected Beetle and DLink router via an Ethernet Cable (Which came with Beetle router) in Port 1 of both routers.

5. In the company provided Beetle router I disabled wifi.

And these steps helped me get back to my earlier coverage. Only thing different is that now I have to keep 2 routers on.

I hope above guide will help others who are upgrading to VDSL.

Last edited by rutvij : 16th June 2017 at 14:20.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2017, 16:52   #936
BHPian
 
bejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 630
Thanked: 406 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Upgraded my Airtel Broadband Landline to Binatone VDSL Router cum WiFi.
Speeds - 17.33 Mbps download 17.79 Upload
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I recently upgraded my Airtel broadband to VDSL
audioholic seems to have the upload speed capped at 1Mbps. I thought it was a limitation of DSL. But from dkaile's speed there seem to be no limitation. What say?

I am seriously thinking of switching to FTTH due to Airtel's pathetic 512kbps upload speed. VDSL is not yet available for my line.
bejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017, 13:04   #937
BHPian
 
arsudarsan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 91
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
I am having Airtel Connection at home. The plan was 1 MBPS unlimited for 899 per month. I wanted to change the plan for higher speeds. I was told that a new router will be required for change of plan. Even though my new plan was having 40 MBPS limit, at my place speed of only 8 MBPS was possible.

I had replaced original Beetle router provided by Airtel as its range was very limited. I have been using Dlink DSL-2750U modem at my place which has excellent coverage. At that time I was not aware about a new technology called VDSL and I was under the impression that I will be able to use this DLink router after this plan upgrade also. When the engineer visited my place, he informed me that my Dlink router will no longer work with this connection. He installed a new Beetle VDSL router which had a very limited range just like earlier ADSL router.

I was searching for a solution for this. After going through various you tube videos and forums, I realised that it is possible to use Beetle router as Modem and DLink router as router for wifi connectivity. I have taken following steps to get this setup working:

1. In DLink router I changed the default ip address to 192.168.1.10 so that there is no conflict between default ip of both the routers

2. In DLink router I upgraded firmware to what is available for middle east region from following site: https://www.dlinkmea.com/site/index.php/site/index

3. After this upgrade, In DLink router I changed the WAN access type to Ethernet as explained in this video:
I also made necessary settings for wifi access in DLink router

4. Then I connected Beetle and DLink router via an Ethernet Cable (Which came with Beetle router) in Port 1 of both routers.

5. In the company provided Beetle router I disabled wifi.

And these steps helped me get back to my earlier coverage. Only thing different is that now I have to keep 2 routers on.

I hope above guide will help others who are upgrading to VDSL.
If you are getting a LAN cable directly, then you can plug in the LAN from Airtel to port 4 and configure your username and password on it. That is how I have been using it on ACT.
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2017, 17:17   #938
BHPian
 
shatananda.k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 31
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Theyre giving me the router free of cost as I paid 6 month upfront. Some new scheme. I'm getting Netgear.
Thanks for your reply.
Hello Sebring,
Are you happy with ACT SP ?
I too moved to ACT around the first week of June. Got the 6 month subscription + free router.
But the service is pretty bad due to prolonged disconnections. Takes about a day to resolve the matter . The link is down at home right now. Really regret moving to ACT
shatananda.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 21:15   #939
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 414
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

I took a double hit my friend - On my iPhone and my iHome!

Was really happy with my ACT connection, esp the blazing fast speed, but in just about 15 days got a message that my 100 GB download was up (In reality, must have used just about 20 GB) and then the speed started to wane. Now its barely there.

So yes, it does look unethical.

Then it happened on my iPhone. The Airtel data on it started to crawl, and was barely moving. Was so tired of seeing those circles!

Disappointed, took a new Jio connection on my iphone. Now, I'm getting super fast internet on my phone and am happy and sorted. Using it as hot spot for the home as well.

The Airtel sim has been relegated to a secondary phone (will do a '50 buck talk-time top up' every month), now wondering what to do with ACT for the home. Am truly stuck for now!

Too tired to chase customer service right now, as that would mean wasting countless hours trying to explain. Maybe Ill just surrender the connection and ask for my money back. Even Hathway sucks in the area, so not sure on the alternatives.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2017, 23:59   #940
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 12
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I took a double hit my friend - On my iPhone and my iHome!

Was really happy with my ACT connection, esp the blazing fast speed, but in just about 15 days got a message that my 100 GB download was up (In reality, must have used just about 20 GB) and then the speed started to wane. Now its barely there.

So yes, it does look unethical.
I think the ACT connection counts download and upload towards FUP. Maybe, that is your answer. Of course as the user, you would know your usage better.
5hadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 09:58   #941
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 854
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I took a double hit my friend - On my iPhone and my iHome!

Was really happy with my ACT connection, esp the blazing fast speed, but in just about 15 days got a message that my 100 GB download was up (In reality, must have used just about 20 GB) and then the speed started to wane. Now its barely there.

So yes, it does look unethical.
ACT have an app which tells you how much you have used.

Also you can visit,

http://portal.actcorp.in/ to find out how much of the Internet you used each day.

I have subscription to a variety of online streaming services. I have 175GB limit but haven't gone near even the 100GB limit once in the past year.

Only on one occasion did I breach the limit on my 60GB connection (I think), still I was able to pay a pro-rated amount based on the number of days remaining to get more GB into my plan. Try Flexybytes as well. It is something similar I suppose.

And this is what I saw on their webpage:
Fair Usage Policy (FUP) applies only on downloads.

Last edited by SchumiFan : 29th June 2017 at 10:01.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 20:15   #942
BHPian
 
Sebring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 414
Thanked: 397 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Thanks for sharing. As per this I have indeed exceeded my monthly usage. this month usage ends on 29th, so hopefully I start on clean slate. Else will call customer service.
Sebring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 08:10   #943
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,449
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Anyone here uses Hathway in Chembur, Bombay? Couple of years back, Hathway was served by a local cable operator - Bhavani. They were terrible then. There were a lot of outages & the cable operator didn't have any idea how to fix them either. Once I had an outage for 2.5 days. I shifted to another provider after that. However, almost a year and a half back, Hathway directly started providing internet in my area without going through Bhavani & some people said it's improved. Is there anyone here in the Chembur area using Hathway - how is the quality of the connection, how much do you pay & how is the service?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2017, 10:04   #944
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 854
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Airtel people replaced the modem at my place over the weekend. Getting 24Mbps speeds now on download. Uploads are still slow at 3Mbps but it is better than before.

500 rupees (one time charge) will be included in the next bill apparently for this change. It came down from a 1000 a few months before I declined the offer then since I wasn't using this connection much but 3X speed was tempting for an extra 500.

It is consistent as well. Broadband speeds and plans have come a long way in the past couple of years. Must thank the Fibernet guys I suppose.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 22:02   #945
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 309
Thanked: 292 Times
Default Re: How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
audioholic seems to have the upload speed capped at 1Mbps. I thought it was a limitation of DSL. But from dkaile's speed there seem to be no limitation. What say?

I am seriously thinking of switching to FTTH due to Airtel's pathetic 512kbps upload speed. VDSL is not yet available for my line.
On VDSL, here in Delhi NCR, the upload is around 4 to 5 Mbps.
Lobogris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mercedes, My Service - Digital interactions, fast service and service plans up to 200,000 km dZired The Indian Car Scene 3 20th July 2016 16:05
new internet connection dadudeonfire Shifting gears 21 16th October 2005 00:52
Internet : Connection speed vs download speed!! Shan2nu Shifting gears 16 21st May 2005 03:59
How fast is your internet connection? dan400 Shifting gears 1 12th August 2004 17:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:59.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks