Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th August 2009, 21:10   #286

Hi,

Today there was a BSNL EVDO offer that we can purchase the modem for 2100 rs. Can anyone please let me know how is the coverage in Bangalore koramangla and viveknagar. Also does national roaming is enabled or not.

Can you guys please reply at the earliest as the offer is only there up to tomorrow.

Many thanks
Razak

Last edited by GTO : 16th September 2009 at 12:53. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares
swiftrazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 07:51   #287
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys
I am in a spot here
You see I do not travel to work every day as my office and home are in the same building. Further My travelling is also not that much. Occasionally once in a couple of month. Therefore I never had the need for a Data Card as my office as well as home is Wi-Fi'ed and internet access is 24/7!!!

Now the situation is that I have off to goa for 11 days (family vaccation) starting Friday and I am not sure what internet connection to buy. I really liked the Tata's new Photon + but they have just normal speeds in Goa not the blazing fast speed that they claim.

What connection should I buy so that I am able to access internet at acceptable speeds. I will be stayinig at the Baga beach area and I acked the hhotel guys and their internet is very expensive 200 bucks for 1/2 hour

Please help

Last edited by harjeev : 16th September 2009 at 07:53.
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 13:15   #288
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Harjeev,

My reliance broadband+ didn't run on HSD (high speed) mode in Goa. As of now, only the larger metro cities have access to high speed wireless internet. Thus, when I'm travelling to Goa (or smaller cities), have to make do with regular CDMA download speeds (good only for email + "patient" browsing).

I have a spare Tata Indicom CDMA internet device which you can have. Stopped using it ever since I got the reliance broadband+. If you can arrange to have it picked up from Mumbai, its yours. Note that I have disabled the SIM card in it and you'll have to buy a new one.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 17:11   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Harjeev,

My reliance broadband+ didn't run on HSD (high speed) mode in Goa. As of now, only the larger metro cities have access to high speed wireless internet. Thus, when I'm travelling to Goa (or smaller cities), have to make do with regular CDMA download speeds (good only for email + "patient" browsing).

I have a spare Tata Indicom CDMA internet device which you can have. Stopped using it ever since I got the reliance broadband+. If you can arrange to have it picked up from Mumbai, its yours. Note that I have disabled the SIM card in it and you'll have to buy a new one.
Thanks a lot GTO!!! I really appreciate it!!! Had I been in Mumbai I would have definitely grabbed your offer but pickup and dropping it back after I've used it will be an issue!!!
What I am trying to do is trying to source a data card from one of my software vendors. They apparently have a couple of them and one of their employees is on leave for the whole next week. Which suits me fine!!!
But next time I'll be in Mumbai I will definitely take up your offer
Thanks again

I would primarily be using it for emails and browsing, keeping an eye on the stock markets and most importantly Teambhp

So maybe a little slower but atleast it'll work. I will not totally be out of touch!!!
harjeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:57   #290
BHPian

Guys,
Does any of these providers have a pre-paid plan?
I don't mind the initial investment for the modem, but don't want to pay regular monthly rentals. My usage would be limited to only when I am traveling or on vacation. I was hoping for some plan where I could recharge for some amount, use for a couple of weeks and store the modem inside for the next use (whenever that may be).
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:31   #291
BHPian

Hi guys

Need a bit of help. I am coming back to india next yr and i thought about buying a modem when there. But now i have research plans for BSNL broadband. I actually have a set of 3g and nextg(850mhz) modems that accept normal sim cards. I am wondering if these can be used with BSNL broadband plans.

The modems i got are Huawei E160g, E160,E169, E220 and few nextg modems.

Thanks
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:44   #292
akp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Guys,
I don't mind the initial investment for the modem, but don't want to pay regular monthly rentals. My usage would be limited to only when I am traveling or on vacation. I was hoping for some plan where I could recharge for some amount, use for a couple of weeks and store the modem inside for the next use (whenever that may be).
I do not know about the other ones, but reliance broadband+ has various prepaid options. You can check at this link. Only problem is, you can not recharge online yet -- you have to go to one of the reliance outlets to do that.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 13:45   #293
BHPian

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Guys,
Exactly the same reason I procured the Reliance Broadband+. I just have to do a minimum transaction of 200 bucks every six months to keep it running- and recharge and use whenever required. No fixed monthly bills.

I paid 3500 bucks, got 10 GB download free (introductory offer, they say) with a 30 day validity. So I'm ensuring that I use all of that up ASAP and have queued in some pending torrents.

Speeds?? Well there is only one word- BLISTERING!!! Here's a snapshot from uTorrent.

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 701
Size:  21.1 KB

With this running in the background, I'm still able to surf normally- including watching youtube vids in real time. This is real BROADBAND! Awesome stuff- I just can't recommend it enough as of now.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 13:53   #294
BHPian

Thanks akp and doomsday, I think i'll go with reliance as well. I did hear about some pre-paid plans for photon+ but nothing this attractive
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 18:32   #295
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Speeds?? Well there is only one word- BLISTERING!!!
I can vouch for the speed! Plus, its been a couple of months that I'm using Reliance Broadband+ and absolutely no problems so far. to a quality product + service at a reasonable price.
Old 5th November 2009, 08:55   #296
BHPian

So can we use the external modems for Reliance/BSNL others ???

Thanks
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 14:04   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I can vouch for the speed! Plus, its been a couple of months that I'm using Reliance Broadband+ and absolutely no problems so far. to a quality product + service at a reasonable price.
what sort of speed do you get? im on photon+ and i usually get around 230+ and in the night 330. is reliance that fast? just outta curiosity.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 18:07   #298
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
what sort of speed do you get? im on photon+ and i usually get around 230+ and in the night 330. is reliance that fast? just outta curiosity.
Will check the exact speed on speedtest.net and update.
Old 5th November 2009, 20:44   #299
BHPian

This is what I'm getting on speedtest at this time- maybe better in late hours.

Last edited by doomsday : 5th November 2009 at 20:46.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 21:41   #300
Senior - BHPian

Just chucked out my Tata Photon + modem, had failed within 2 months of buying it, company call centres and service cnetres are terrible, my modem is lying around for replacement for the last 8 days, no one able to tell me what happens next, and Tata continues to bill me!

Starting a war with Tata Indicom to get my money back. Bought a Airtel USB connection today, slower but hopefully will be more reliable and responsive.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote