Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th November 2009, 22:25   #301
BHPian

[quote=doomsday;1565101] ...the Reliance Broadband+. I just have to do a minimum transaction of 200 bucks every six months to keep it running- and recharge and use whenever required. No fixed monthly bills..... [quote]

Which plan is it exactly? I do not find any such plan listed in their website Welcome to Reliance Communications

Please go through and let me know where exactly you fit in or where exactly I can find that plan details.

I only hope that you have not misunderstood their plans.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 12:01   #302
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Will check the exact speed on speedtest.net and update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
This is what I'm getting on speedtest at this time- maybe better in late hours.
Whoa! Your download numbers are way ahead (almost like a Skoda RS versus an SX4 ). Here's mine to Washington:

Name:  SpeedTest.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  65.3 KB

The same on my Tata wired internet (4 mbps plan) clocked at 3.4.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 21:26   #303
Team-BHP Support

just fyi guys, the photon now has some new plans which seem pretty good. 2k a month for 20gb usage.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2009, 23:49   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
I'm using Photon+ for over 4 months now. I guess I am one of the few who actually got truly unlimited plan. There is no data cap and I get excellent speeds (lowest 1mbps, to max 3mbps+ as advertised).

I've been travelling quite a bit and currently using it in Mumbai. BSNL comes close to this, but this has some added advantages for me since I travel quite a bit and I need network in the places I go.
+1 . Was lucky enough to get the unlimited plan too! 3.1 Mbps torrents!

Previously used bsnl evdo but it didn't work out as you need to be near a tower!

Previous to that I used Reliance CDMA1x. Great for holidaying! Worked well in Goa!
proton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 12:28   #305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post

Which plan is it exactly? I do not find any such plan listed in their website Welcome to Reliance Communications

Please go through and let me know where exactly you fit in or where exactly I can find that plan details.

I only hope that you have not misunderstood their plans.
Well, its not mentioned on the website, you need to go to the local Webworld and they'll tell you stuff in detail. But you need to ask them the right way otherwise they'll hand out a brochure similar to what you see on the website. I specifically told them that I won't be using it as my primary connection, hence what is the least that I need to spend to keep it working. 200 bucks once in six months is the answer I got, so I can recharge as and when I need to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa! Your download numbers are way ahead (almost like a Skoda RS versus an SX4 ). Here's mine to Washington:

Attachment 222750

The same on my Tata wired internet (4 mbps plan) clocked at 3.4.
4mbps plan would be corporate I guess, 3.4 is insane!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
just fyi guys, the photon now has some new plans which seem pretty good. 2k a month for 20gb usage.
Seems worthwhile. I hope these guys start offering unlimited plans soon so I can junk my regular wired stuff.
doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 19:57   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post
Well, its not mentioned on the website, you need to go to the local Webworld and they'll tell you stuff in detail. But you need to ask them the right way otherwise they'll hand out a brochure similar to what you see on the website. I specifically told them that I won't be using it as my primary connection, hence what is the least that I need to spend to keep it working. 200 bucks once in six months is the answer I got, so I can recharge as and when I need to use it.

4mbps plan would be corporate I guess, 3.4 is insane!!

Seems worthwhile. I hope these guys start offering unlimited plans soon so I can junk my regular wired stuff.
Me too got the same plan where-in you have recharge for 200 once in 6 months to keep the connection active. I am all praises for Reliance for once. The connection got activated in 3 hours flat

- Jag
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 11:59   #307
Senior - BHPian

IMO, these gadgets work better in metros!

I have been using Reliance CDMA 1x for more than one year.
I paid Rs.2000 for the usb and selected a monthly tariff of Rs.400 for
40hours -Total bill comes to Rs.447 inlcuding tax, if the usage is within th 40hours/month). But the speed is very low. I bought it specifically for my IBM Laptop to use whilst travelling.

Once logged in, for first 1 or 2 minutes it will work somehow good and then goes dead but the time keep counting. Then I need to disconnect and reconnect and again it will run for couple of minutes.

Complaints were made to concerned people but they simply said that
'this is wireless product hence speed variation will be there' - agree the speed variation, but when no signal their meter should not run. Eventually if I am utilising the full use of it or not , but 40hours limit will clear very fast.

So, presently I am looking if any other better products available in the market to replace this Reliance connection.?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 00:19   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
IMO, these gadgets work better in metros!
I am using Reliance Netconnect in Trivandrum and getting decent speeds.

Old 19th November 2009, 10:29   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am using Reliance Netconnect in Trivandrum and getting decent speeds.

Yes, probably it may work places like Trivandrum, cochin, mangalore, bangalore, chennai etc but not that good in small towns.
I wanted to check how Tata and Airtel products work comparing to Reliance.. Any one using these products?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 17:38   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Yes, probably it may work places like Trivandrum, cochin, mangalore, bangalore, chennai etc but not that good in small towns.
I wanted to check how Tata and Airtel products work comparing to Reliance.. Any one using these products?
I am writing this sitting inside a moving train somewhere between Kottayam and Ernakulam. What more could you ask?

PS: I am no way related to Reliance Netconnect business. Just a very satisfied customer.
Old 24th November 2009, 16:03   #311
Senior - BHPian

I have Tata Indicom's old PCMCIA card which I used to use with their SIM cards for their VData plans which were pretty slow - sort of like dial up.

Can their new wireless Broadband stuff be used with the same PCMCIA card - i.e. can I just buy one of their new Broadband speeds SIMs & use it with the old PCMCIA cards?

Also, are the wireless broadband things from Tata & Reliance as fast as the BSNL regular wired DSL or much slower?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 19:50   #312
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Photon Plus not supported in Windows 7 ?

I had bought from Tata Indicom, a Korean EpiValley SEC-8089 EvDO USB modem, which they brand as Photon+. Tata Indicom also sell a Chinese Huawei EvDO USB modem, which also they brand as Photon+ !

Name:  EpiValleySEC8089longview.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  48.3 KB

The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)-epivalleysec8089cardcoverremoved.jpg

The EpiValley SEC-8089 can also function as a USB pen drive, with a microSD card inserted.

My EpiValley Tata Indicom Photon+ worked fine with the Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit delivered with my July 2009 DELL Inspiron 14 Core2Duo laptop.

With Microsoft’s introduction of their Windows 7, DELL shipped me a DVDROM with free upgrade to Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

On 19th Nov 2009, the upgrade to Windows 7 sailed through smoothly with every program working as well, if not better than before. This included my Broadband wireless browsing experience with the Tata Indicom Photon+ branded EpiValley SEC-8089 EvDO USB modem. Yes, the modem worked perfectly fine with Windows 7!

Twelve days later, when I was installing my Tata Plug2Surf, the drivers got accidentally deleted.

Went to Tata Indicom for help.
Now Tata say that their
EpiValley SEC-8089 Photon Plus is not supported in Windows 7!

If they are telling the truth, how did it ever work for me for 12 days?

If somebody understands, please share your thoughts.

Ram

[both macro photos taken with a Nokia N82]
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 19:53   #313
Senior - BHPian

The EpiValley modem is useless - mine failed in the first 1.5 months. The replacement (took them 3 weeks to give me a replacement) also failed on Day 1. I have not even bothered to complain to Tata Indicom, simply junked it and refused to pay the bill. I am not surprised at the 2-forked talk from their guys!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 10:56   #314
Senior - BHPian

I purchased a TATA Photon+ modem(The HUAWEI one) recently. Its quite good and i have taken the time-based plan, i.e, A monthly rental of 750 INR and you get 3600 mins per month, that works out to be roughly 2 hours per day, data is unlimited

P.S : I completed NFS Shift download in about 10 hours , though i was surfing as the download was on. Check the download speed in the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)-tata2.jpg  

DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2009, 14:55   #315
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Default Photon Plus not supported in Windows 7 ? ... Problem Solved

Guys, further to...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post1616676 (The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata))

I got my Tata Indicom Photon+ -- the Korean EpiValley SEC-8089 EV-DO USB modem working under Windows 7 64-bit without help from Tata Indicom.

This was the modus operandi:

Got into the directory of flash-memory on the modem.

Name:  modemcontents.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  47.1 KB

Right-clicked on SetupX64.exe
and selected the menu item "Troubleshoot compatibility"

A box popped up with an animated glowing green progress-bar saying, "Detecting issues"
then showed the following:

Name:  compatibilityoptions.jpg
Views: 2061
Size:  36.4 KB

Picked "Troubleshoot program". Then this box popped up, with a list of problem types noticed.

Name:  naturecompatibilityissues.jpg
Views: 2034
Size:  39.4 KB

Ticked "The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now"
and clicked the "Next" button.

The following box popped up with a list of Windows OSes on which the program supposedly worked earlier.

Name:  compatibilityWinversions.jpg
Views: 2765
Size:  52.3 KB

Selected "Windows Vista Service Pack 1" and went ahead.

The EpiValley SEC-8089 device driver and Photon+ Application 1.0 installed and worked.

Learning: A well written Windows Vista 64 device driver can be coaxed into working under Windows 7, using Windows 7's built-in compatibility troubleshooting. Microsoft Windows 7 behaved better than expected.

Got a speed of 2Mbps download and 510 Kbps upload.

Name:  achievedbandwidth.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  48.6 KB

Cheers...
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote