Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th September 2010, 12:51   #421
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any feedback on Tata Photon plus? I am planning to buy one, so any inputs will be useful.

Spike

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 9th September 2010 at 22:32. Reason: Post moved to the correct thread.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 22:50   #422
BHPian

I got myself a Reliance Broadband+ ZTE-AC2726. I am getting good speed, better than MTNL Broadband.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010, 15:02   #423
Senior - BHPian

Default Which internet provider in Srinagar

BHPians.

One of my colleague is going to Srinagar and will be staying there for nearly three weeks.

He is carrying his laptop, but not sure of how he can stay connected using internet in the town.

Does it makes sense to carry Tata Photon OR Reliance OR BSNL datacard ?

Or is there any other option ?

Look forward to your inputs, people staying in Srinagar OR travelers, please throw light on this.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 10:37   #424
Senior - BHPian

my friend has taken MTNL 3G sim card from Delhi and hopes to use it for internet too by connecting it to laptop.

Will update this thread for others benefit.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 10:58   #425
BHPian

Tata Photon should work in Srinagar, and so does MTNL 3G since BSNL has launched 3G in J and K. Reliance doesn't have the network in J and K , last I heard of. But do check, data roaming was banned till some time ago, so these data cards of service providers might be working only if bought in the state.
v-drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 10:36   #426
BHPian

Guys, i stay in Koramangala, Bangalore. I get very low speeds around 256Kbps all day. However when i am in office or in my parents place in Vidyaranyapura, i get close to 2.5Mbps speed. I get good signal reception everywhere. Is it just because of the number of users in Koramangala. I cant really explain this. Can anything be done about this .Quite frustrating actually
Lightening-Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 13:34   #427
BHPian

Default Reliance Data Card

My Reliance data card used to work beautifully for the initial 6 months. I used to watch lots of videos online and speed was so good that I used to feel as if I am watching a DVD! But, I don't know why the speed is pathetic now ! Can somebody throw some light? and possible course of action? I tried their customer care and they say everything seems to be alright from their end!
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:34   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
Guys, i stay in Koramangala, Bangalore. I get very low speeds around 256Kbps all day. However when i am in office or in my parents place in Vidyaranyapura, i get close to 2.5Mbps speed. I get good signal reception everywhere. Is it just because of the number of users in Koramangala. I cant really explain this. Can anything be done about this .Quite frustrating actually
The main reason with wireless broadband is that each site has a fixed bandwidth and as more users latch on this bandwidth keeps getting shared. Ask for a drive test done in your specific location, normally the enggineer would have requisite equipment to make changes in the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
My Reliance data card used to work beautifully for the initial 6 months. I used to watch lots of videos online and speed was so good that I used to feel as if I am watching a DVD! But, I don't know why the speed is pathetic now ! Can somebody throw some light? and possible course of action? I tried their customer care and they say everything seems to be alright from their end!
The more users in your area the lower the speed, infact even coverage shrinks. All you must keep doing is complain ! Mention to them that the speeds are very low, ask them to send a drive test enggineer to your place and make him note the realtime data speeds.
kartikk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:24   #429
BHPian

Default Re: The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)

Guys,

I am planning to buy a Prepaid USB stick and wanted to know
which one (out of Reliance and Tata) has better plans and a
better coverage in the South, particularly AP.

Also, should I choose Huawei or ZTE as my modem?
NK@Hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 13:26   #430
BHPian

Default any feedback on TATA 3GS data stick ?

Has anyone tried the 3GS data stick from TATA Docomo
Will appreciate feedback
Regards
Ram
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:50   #431
BHPian

Default Re: The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightening-Fast View Post
I have gone through this. I have both Tata Photon Plus and Reliance NetConnect Broadband+. I get only about 256 Kbps speed all the day, both in my office (BTM), my home (JP Nagar 2nd Phase) as well as in Hyd (S.R. Nagar). Once in a while the speed goes up marginally, and I have not seen anything more than 400 Kbps.

All the claims of getting very high speeds with data cards always amused me. I was very confused, and not sure what wrong I was doing. I now use these data cards only when I go out-station. I always rely on the DSL broadband.
umvarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:05   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by umvarma View Post
I have gone through this. I have both Tata Photon Plus and Reliance NetConnect Broadband+. I get only about 256 Kbps speed all the day, both in my office (BTM), my home (JP Nagar 2nd Phase) as well as in Hyd (S.R. Nagar). Once in a while the speed goes up marginally, and I have not seen anything more than 400 Kbps.

All the claims of getting very high speeds with data cards always amused me. I was very confused, and not sure what wrong I was doing. I now use these data cards only when I go out-station. I always rely on the DSL broadband.
Do you run the Reliance thing in Hybrid Mode or Pure Broadband mode?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 19:35   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NK@Hyd View Post
Guys,

I am planning to buy a Prepaid USB stick and wanted to know
which one (out of Reliance and Tata) has better plans and a
better coverage in the South, particularly AP.

Also, should I choose Huawei or ZTE as my modem?
Best and cheapest option for people with limited budget it to buy a Unlocked USB modem which can accept GSM SIM
this way you are not restricted to one network.

One good modem currently is from Idea, it come in locked and unlocked version with a price difference of Rs.50 only

I use my usb modem with Airtel and BSNL 3G, but unfortunately BSNL gives 100-200 kbps only in 3G mode, it used to be 3.2mbps till early this year, now that is gone, may be poor network maintenance done or too many users in city now.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 21:14   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Do you run the Reliance thing in Hybrid Mode or Pure Broadband mode?
Hey!

Thanks for the clue. I will recharge my data cards and try out in pure broadband mode.
umvarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 13:00   #435
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a 3G connection. I'm looking out for an Unlimited connection. Which one is the best among all with signal strength. I live near Mahalakshmi Layout, Bangalore.
ramki067 is offline   Reply With Quote