Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th April 2011, 09:54   #466
BHPian

Default Re: The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)

which to buy, i download alot ,so pls suggest which data card to buy,couple of questions

1.how many are giving this service
2.which has a good after sales service
3.which has a good costumer service(call center)
4.what the top speed you get
5..how good is it if you r traveling abroad
6.which is cost effective
nikhil1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 22:26   #467
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)

Any 3G USB service providers in Chennai apart from BSNL? BSNL speed in some areas is poor.
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 12:02   #468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Any 3G USB service providers in Chennai apart from BSNL? BSNL speed in some areas is poor.
Aircel, Airtel and vodafone also have 3G USB services on data card. Airtel and vodafone speeds are good. Aircel is the worst. BSNL is somewhere in the middle..
deepakchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 12:49   #469
BHPian

Picked up a Huawei UMG1831 (T_Mobile unlocked) in Bangalore. Got a BSNL 3G SIM (prepaid) installed and am getting decent speed in Bangalore. Speedtest.net always shows 1.7 to 2.4 Mbps.

The main reason I bought this device is freedom to switch 3G Service Providers without having to change the datacard.
dreamdiesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 13:10   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Picked up a Huawei UMG1831 (T_Mobile unlocked) in Bangalore. Got a BSNL 3G SIM (prepaid) installed and am getting decent speed in Bangalore. Speedtest.net always shows 1.7 to 2.4 Mbps.

The main reason I bought this device is freedom to switch 3G Service Providers without having to change the datacard.
What data plan are you on?
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 13:21   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
What data plan are you on?
Its a Prepaid plan. Got a 400rs recharge with 1GB limit which is sufficient for me for a month as 3G datacard will be used only during powercuts or travel. Not aware of any unlimited plans with BSNL 3G.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:40   #472
Distinguished - BHPian

BSNL 3G unlimited plan costs about 1350, I think.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 14:22   #473
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:

What is the cost of this unlocked datacard device, & where is it available
GSMINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 14:36   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
You can get HUAWEI E1550 for about ~1500 from any Idea showroom. Unlocking is free.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 15:12   #475
BHPian

Quote:

I have made a similar decision. Bought Huawei E122 on ebay and bought BSNL 3G Prepaid. Rs400 recharge of 1 GB bundled is good for me.
But, I am not getting speed above 1MBPS. My area is Banashankari stage 1. which is yours?

I think this the best thing to do rather than getting locked to single 3G service.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2011, 15:38   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Huawei UMG1831 I bought supports upto 21mbps. There are other 3G USB devices (E1750) from Huawei for 7.2mbps also. I bought it from SP Road, Bangalore (with B/W) for Rs.3000/-. Also available on eBay. The 7.2mbps device costs around 2.5K

Some tech company also sells these devices : http://leoxsys.com/products.php (I am not related to this company)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
But, I am not getting speed above 1MBPS. My area is Banashankari stage 1. which is yours?
Signal is usually 60-70% and I stay at Jayanagar 7th block

Last edited by dreamdiesel : 20th April 2011 at 15:44.
Old 13th May 2011, 09:46   #477
BHPian

Default Re: OSX support with Huawei datacard

what about OSX support for Huawei datacard. Anyone working with snow or snow leopard with Huawei datacard. TIA
shapath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 12:15   #478
BHPian

Default Re: OSX support with Huawei datacard

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapath View Post
what about OSX support for Huawei datacard. Anyone working with snow or snow leopard with Huawei datacard. TIA
Huawei UMG1831 you get in India is the unlocked version of T-Mobile WebConnect Rocket.

Looking at their website this is the info I see.

Get Started Guide (T-Mobile webConnect Rocket™)

The DATA Card and USB Modem discussion thread (Reliance/Airtel/Tata)-umg1831.jpg
Old 16th June 2011, 12:21   #479
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for a high speed USB connection.
Almost of my browsing will be in Bombay. I don't download movies & stuff, so I am not interested in unlimited plans(unless they offer good speeds). I use a minimum of 2GB bandwidth per month. So basically, I am looking for a good plan with offers 2-3 GB per month. What are the best options?
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2011, 18:20   #480
BHPian

Default TATA photon - horrible customer service - BSNL data card option ?

Guys, i am faced with problems with my TATA photon + USB data card, it just seems to have repeated problems & their customer service is for most parts a joke !

Does anyone have any experience with BSNL USB data sticks ?

Any feedback about network, speed etc here in Blore would be appreciated
nirmaljusdoit is online now   Reply With Quote