Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 16:09   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 6 Times
Thumbs down Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Careful guys, this is quiet a scary situation.

I verified and this did impact my Google account.

GTalk best avoided until this is fixed.

The official status on this issue is here.

Last edited by gk01 : 26th September 2013 at 16:11. Reason: "Google Apps Status" link added.
gk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 16:20   #2
BHPian
 
sumathindra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 602
Thanked: 190 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
Careful guys, this is quiet a scary situation.

I verified and this did impact my Google account.

GTalk best avoided until this is fixed.

The official status on this issue is here.
Oops this is scary! I am not sure if I was a victim of this as the other day I was chatting with 3 colleagues and I managed to send a message to the wrong one. Now I am not sure if this was my mistake or the one you have reported
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 16:32   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 28
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I am not sure if I was a victim of this as the other day I was chatting with 3 colleagues and I managed to send a message to the wrong one..
This issue has started only today. So most likely what you saw was just a human error.

You can check your chat history to know if you are facing this issue. Unless of course, you chose to keep Chats "Off the record".
gk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:02   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 518 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Is this issue is there with mails as well? I get all kind of mails addressed to people with my first name (their last name would be different)
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 17:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
saket77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ranchi
Posts: 3,073
Thanked: 3,667 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

This bug has the ability to make or break a lot of relations, unintentionally
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 18:37   #6
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,229
Thanked: 21,886 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is this issue is there with mails as well? I get all kind of mails addressed to people with my first name (their last name would be different)
Did the frequency of this increase about 6 months back, and then decrease a few months back?

There was a bug (that i didn't see a mention of anywhere else!) that went like this:
- If you use a browser with >100% zoom setting
- Type the first few letters of the name to auto complete
- Use the mouse to click the name that you want in the suggestions list
- It actually selects another name!! (The one that is highlighted earlier, not the one that is clicked).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 18:46   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 518 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Did the frequency of this increase about 6 months back, and then decrease a few months back?

There was a bug (that i didn't see a mention of anywhere else!) that went like this:
- If you use a browser with >100% zoom setting
- Type the first few letters of the name to auto complete
- Use the mouse to click the name that you want in the suggestions list
- It actually selects another name!! (The one that is highlighted earlier, not the one that is clicked).

cya
R
No, mine is a slightly different bug. Frequency seems to be almost consistent. Even new email accounts which have my name in the starting seem to come to my inbox. I just dis-associated from one such email id.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2013, 20:45   #8
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Is this issue is there with mails as well? I get all kind of mails addressed to people with my first name (their last name would be different)
No, that is because your email address was on an email marketing mailing list. The system attempts to send out the emails in alphabetical order so the first names that are the same as yours appear in the same email batch. If you use the GMail report spam feature, it would give you the option to unsubscribe you from the mailing list as well.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2013, 00:37   #9
BHPian
 
pahwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Google Talk bug: Routes messages to wrong contacts

Thank God I was on the other end of this goof up. Someone pinged me with their confidential business plan. I did not reply assuming its just the case of a wrong window.

Such a mess is not acceptable dear Google!!
pahwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr talkie talk talk The Sorcerer Introduce yourself 5 28th September 2008 20:49
For MODS: Slow approval process for messages rkbharat Shifting gears 5 21st September 2007 16:17


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks