Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 26th February 2010, 22:45   #31
Senior - BHPian

I use mgmaps on my mobile and it works with google maps. I am using the offline maps mode in which the locally stored google maps are shown. You can download the google maps tiles for the zoom level you specify. The site has given how to download tiles using map catcher software available on mgmaps.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 11:59   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Google does not want to promote downloading of their maps for offline usage, so that applications like mgmaps can use them (stored Google maps). Google has made the process of map download (NOT online reference via Google APIs) extremely difficult to discourage most users. If anyone already has (previously downloaded version) stored Google maps, they can use it with mgmaps - and that's why 'Google maps' appears but in strike-out font. mgmaps folks don't willingly / officially support it.

One can still download small areas from Google maps site (using software like mapcatcher etc.), but getting maps at state-level take an enormous amount of time - and this is what google monitors and turns the tap off for anyone wanting too much! Saves them bandwidth, and serves the purpose of discouraging anyone trying it. They haven't commercially leveraged their map assets with navigation software providers (for stored map usage) - maybe someday they will.

Last edited by DerAlte : 27th February 2010 at 12:04.
DerAlte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 14:07   #33
BHPian

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I use mgmaps on my mobile and it works with google maps. I am using the offline maps mode in which the locally stored google maps are shown. You can download the google maps tiles for the zoom level you specify. The site has given how to download tiles using map catcher software available on mgmaps.
Somehow I have been unable to configure my phone correctly for using MGMaps.

Their website gives a demo using blackberry while I have a Nokia E72.

Which phone do you have?
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 09:53   #34
BHPian

I was able to install on Blackberry 8700 Smartphone and the maps even show GPS navigation and current location where you are( with out voice), its really cool. You can search directions from Point A to Point B seamlessly.

I tried the same on Samsung Corby but automatically it has taken Version 2.XX and installeed not sure why. It shows only maps and navigation but doesnt show where you are currently as it happens on my blackberry.
challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 15:18   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

@rehaan and others. Most of the intelligent phones have GPS today. Nokia 5800, 5230, Most Blackberry's, many Samsungs, htc Hero to name just a few.

I find Google maps much better that Nokia maps. Google maps have been a side discussion in the Satnav v MapMyIndia thread. My son was in Bangalore for a fortnight and used Google Maps extensively for local driving. He also reported that you could download the local area and the use the GPS to navigate. Do not need to have the web link on all the time. He is using htc Hero on CDMA.

One thing Nokia takes a long time to get a GPS fix, while htc is fast and as expected my Garmin Nuvi even faster.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2010, 23:21   #36
BHPian

Since this topic is focussed on the positives of Google maps, I wish to put forth a small idea. Google's innovative kml tiling technology will always rule mobile navigation. Google maps interface is very user friendly and its still more effective if coupled with inbuilt gps. Google maps 4 has a function called latitude from which one can sign in using any google account. Latitude wil collect realtime data based on friends' list of a google account. It will pin point locations on google mobile maps of those friends using latitude. It is a good safety tool for tracking friends and relatives' positions and locations, especially those travelling intrastate and interstate. TBHP members also form such a group that can enable gsm or cdma tracking.
dr.faramroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 20:39   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@rehaan and others. Most of the intelligent phones have GPS today. Nokia 5800, 5230, Most Blackberry's, many Samsungs, htc Hero to name just a few.

I find Google maps much better that Nokia maps. Google maps have been a side discussion in the Satnav v MapMyIndia thread. My son was in Bangalore for a fortnight and used Google Maps extensively for local driving. He also reported that you could download the local area and the use the GPS to navigate. Do not need to have the web link on all the time. He is using htc Hero on CDMA.

One thing Nokia takes a long time to get a GPS fix, while htc is fast and as expected my Garmin Nuvi even faster.
Getting a GPS fix depends on the kind of hardware used. HTC mostly uses sirf star 3 chipsets. Not clear as to what you mean by able to download the local area?

In most nokia phones with built in gps, google maps directly translates the favorites stored using ovi maps, which is a handy feature.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 22:25   #38
Team-BHP Support

The question is where are we talking about the usage? If its a city/town, nothing can beat google maps.

Problem is when on roads where cell connections break, GPRS will not work, and google maps wont function. You can argue saying one can use the cached mode. But yes the question is to what extent.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 00:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Whenever I select 'My Location' in Google Maps, it shows some weird location in USA!! I have to refresh a number of times before it finally shows my real location.
Does anyone else face this problem?
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 00:25   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Whenever I select 'My Location' in Google Maps, it shows some weird location in USA!! I have to refresh a number of times before it finally shows my real location.
Does anyone else face this problem?
In KundanBagh, Begumpet, Hyderabad Google maps shows me a map of some European city.
It only happens there and I have not seen this anywhere else.

I assume there is something messed up with the Cell Phone tower(s) in that area.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 01:11   #41
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.faramroze View Post
TBHP members also form such a group that can enable gsm or cdma tracking.
A few friends in T-BHP are already tracking each other using latitude. HVKumar introduced this to me and I have spread this to friends!
It's fun. Everytime I log in to google from where I'm latitude updates my position to show friends my location. And holds me to that position in latitude till I go to a new place and log in!
I've not tried driving logged in to google yet. Waiting to do that once I upgrade my mobile to one equipped with a-gps so that it would show more accurate locations than the towers nearby (If I'm not wrong).
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 01:32   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah has happened a few times with me in Pune too
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 14:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Have been using google maps on my HTC Touch Diamond for more than a year now. Its just an amazing comfort to have (esp if you are in a new city as I found out in Bangalore lately, having just moved here 2 months back.) So far have used it in Delhi and Bangalore. Google knows its roads well! It even shows you which roads are one-way only. the only grouse is - theres no voice to guide! Otherwise perfect road companion.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 15:21   #44
BHPian

I installed Google maps recently in my Blackberry. The best thing is that its free. Lets you see where you are, and it gives me a fairly accurate picture. I dont know how useful it is as a navigational tool ( no voice guide etc ), but if you have a front passenger to help you read out from the map I guess it will work well.

Oh and I have also mapped to my facebook application called instamapping ( this has nothing to do with google maps mobile app - it works alongside ) - if I choose to keep my tracking on, all my facebook friends can see me on the map in my facebook profile. I have still not figured out if its a good thing or a bad thing!

Last edited by Bigzero : 12th July 2010 at 15:23.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2010, 12:26   #45
BHPian

You can enable voice (turn-by-turn) support from Google maps in India via this application below. This is for an Android phone though.
Droid Den - App Guide: Add Turn by Turn Navigation To Android Phones - Droid Den

Officialy Google is not suporting turn-by-turn navigation in India, Australia and some more countries. It works in US and UK where you can even use street view to navigate.

I have posted my experience in this link: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...s-home-17.html

Your mobile is going to download data and so you have to be aware of the data download charges in this case. It works and is a very useful feature.

Last edited by B103 : 14th September 2010 at 12:31.
B103 is offline   Reply With Quote