Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th August 2016, 12:44   #616
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

My display driver keeps crashing on windows 10. Its AMD Radeon and have come across multiple instances on the net.
Changed to generic driver and then back to the right driver from online source and still have the same issue. Anyone faced such an issue with Radeon?

Its not application use specific and happens randomly and frequently.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 13:39   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
My display driver keeps crashing on windows 10. Its AMD Radeon and have come across multiple instances on the net.
Changed to generic driver and then back to the right driver from online source and still have the same issue. Anyone faced such an issue with Radeon?

Its not application use specific and happens randomly and frequently.
Is your windows upto date. I had the same issue with my dual graphics Intel/Nvidia, used to crash a lot. With recent updates it has only crashed once in a month.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 13:49   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Changed to generic driver and then back to the right driver from online source and still have the same issue. Anyone faced such an issue with Radeon? Its not application use specific and happens randomly and frequently.
Two of my computers have AMD Radeon and they are using the latest drivers. No such problems encountered.

Firstly, display driver crashes can be caused by either software or hardware.
  • Have you tried removing all drivers before reinstalling the latest one? Use the tool Display Driver Uninstaller to do a thorough cleanup, and then apply the latest drivers (stable, not beta).
  • Hardware issues can also cause display driver crashes. Often, it can be as simple as excessive dust/dust balls in the graphics card (usually the fan or heatsink fins) that affects its ability to cool.

What is the specific card you have (vendor, model, etc.) and which version of display driver are you running?
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016, 13:54   #619
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Is your windows upto date. I had the same issue with my dual graphics Intel/Nvidia, used to crash a lot. With recent updates it has only crashed once in a month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Two of my computers have AMD Radeon and they are using the latest drivers. No such problems encountered.

Firstly, display driver crashes can be caused by either software or hardware.
  • Have you tried removing all drivers before reinstalling the latest one? Use the tool Display Driver Uninstaller to do a thorough cleanup, and then apply the latest drivers (stable, not beta).
  • Hardware issues can also cause display driver crashes. Often, it can be as simple as excessive dust/dust balls in the graphics card (usually the fan or heatsink fins) that affects its ability to cool.

What is the specific card you have (vendor, model, etc.) and which version of display driver are you running?

Thanaks guys, will try to cleanup the interior and also do a complete uninstall and install them again.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 12:42   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
How have you tested this? Over WiFi or wired ethernet?
Just make sure your LAN or WiFi card drivers are up to date.
Testing over Wifi, all drivers are up-to-date, still face this issue.
DuHasstMich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 12:54   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
I have been having such an issue since 2008 on a custom gaming rig using high end graphics cards. It was fine with XP and then when I upgraded to Win 7 and recently to Win 10, get random crashes and freezes. Frustrating and decided never to build a pc again.
diyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 13:42   #622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuHasstMich View Post
And what throughput do you get whilst using a wired connection? Which router do you have?

Can you please do a speedtest at speedtest.net? Many ISPs claim 8 Mbps or a certain speed but it generally comes up short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have been having such an issue since 2008 on a custom gaming rig using high end graphics cards. It was fine with XP and then when I upgraded to Win 7 and recently to Win 10, get random crashes and freezes. Frustrating and decided never to build a pc again.
If you want to run W10 (or any version of Windows for that matter) trouble free its best to do a fresh install.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th August 2016 at 13:44.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 13:56   #623
BHPian

Is anyone having any problems with the new Windows 10 update? Everything was fine till the newest update. Few changes to the taskbar and windows menu, but the system has become very slow. Takes ages to start up and shutdown. Task manager shows that about 80% of the CPU is used up by "windows host process". Ever since the update the CPU has been running at 95-100%. Apps have become slow, games dont work. And the taskbar has become a headache; it just doesnt go away. Not when playing games, not when watching full screen videos on YouTube, not when using GOM/VLC/Films&TV. Any suggestions?
GeneralJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 12:10   #624
BHPian

I don't have any issue with constantly high CPU use, but I do notice a little slower boot time. Other than that everything is ok.

Last edited by arsudarsan : 25th August 2016 at 12:11. Reason: Added additional text to make point clear.
arsudarsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 10:22   #625
Distinguished - BHPian

Any place one can download the latest (upgrade) of Win10. I need to do it twice, once for Home (SL) and once for Pro. Also, that way I am sure of having the latest avatar in my archive.

Is the site the same or different? Also, I think that was put out ages ago, so may involve a huge search. I am told that MS may come up with the download as late as December for some users.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 10:33   #626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Any place one can download the latest (upgrade) of Win10. I need to do it twice, once for Home (SL) and once for Pro. Also, that way I am sure of having the latest avatar in my archive.
You can get the 1607 Anniversary edition's ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

I've used it to upgrade both a laptop and a tablet, no problems at all. And like you, I've now squirreled away the ISO in my archive.
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 15:20   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
You can get the 1607 Anniversary edition's ISO here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft.../windows10ISO/

I've used it to upgrade both a laptop and a tablet, no problems at all. And like you, I've now squirreled away the ISO in my archive.
Thanks. I have just started the download. SL is 3.9GB. Yesterday, on my Lenovo Flexpad 14, which I had switched on after about three weeks it wanted to upgrade. I was silly enough to allow it. Took all of two hours or so to download. Then started installing. It was still at it after four hours. So finally I gave up. Sometime at night the battery power supply went kaput. Then in the morning I restarted the same. It came back as if it was in a sleep mode. Showed 99% installed, continued in the same state for a couple of hours, Task manager did show something happening. The bottom line was that I switched off, ran my AOMEI restore and went back to July 2016. Now I have done the updates on NVidia and Mcaffee. Done another AOMEI recovery and will do with the download. I have set up the download on my Mac!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2016, 15:58   #628
Senior - BHPian

Don't remember exactly, but there is a setting to prefetch files or something. Enabled by default, it hogs the CPU like anything. I was so frustrated it took ages to launch notepad and type something in it, or open a webpage.

Disabling the setting restored peace. The laptop is much better now.

Search Google and you should find that setting.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 09:43   #629
Team-BHP Support

I chanced upon this post from BHPian dkaile who seemed to have acquired a genuine license key from a website - digitalcodes.in for Rs. 1499 (link) for his new laptop.

That seemed too good to be true so I filled up the Contact Us form and they called me instantly! So the license is valid for one PC and the support personnel said it cannot be transferred once it is installed (but my friend says otherwise).

I downloaded the Windows 10 Professional ISO from Microsoft (link) using the Download tool, made the bootable USB drive using rufus 2.15 (link), backed up all the content to a couple of pen drives and installed the OS (took about 20 minutes to get everything up and running). Bought the license key from the website and the link to the key was sent within minutes. Entered the key and Windows got activated in a jiffy!

Loving the switch from Windows 7 to 10! Not as big a leap as XP to 7 but still the OS loads much faster and the UI is improved. Getting a weird deja vu of using my Lumia 920!

EDIT: Got another key for my wife's laptop!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th June 2017 at 12:16.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2017, 14:00   #630
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: The Windows 10 Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

Loving the switch from Windows 7 to 10! Not as big a leap as XP to 7 but still the OS loads much faster and the UI is improved. Getting a weird deja vu of using my Lumia 920!
Hope you are in W10CU 1703 15063.296 and not in AU.

Both my Office and Home PCs are now on W10CU and my daily driver is still L1520 with W10CU 1703 15063.332

A long journey from (back in 1995) Windows 3.1 to Windows 10. Another update FCU is on the way by September with many added features

Cheers!

Last edited by myavu : 10th June 2017 at 14:01.
myavu is online now   Reply With Quote