Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st April 2012, 16:52   #1741
BHPian

Question Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

As the case with Tata Sky, once recharge is done, channels as per the pack are available until it gets exhausted and service goes off. Even if the next recharge is done after 6 months, it works again with one call to customer care without any additional charges. Is it the same with Airtel as well?

I am planning to go for Airtel HD DTH. Let me know if any such or other issues regarding this?
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:36   #1742
BHPian

Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Recently I got a communication from tatasky asking me to explore the video on demand by hooking my internet cable to the tatasky HD+ box. They also say they can make it wifi. I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone tried this?
2. How are they making it wifi? are they using a wifi usb?
3. How is the internet usage if one plugs and starts using?

Folks please throw some light on this.
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 18:12   #1743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Recently I got a communication from tatasky asking me to explore the video on demand by hooking my internet cable to the tatasky HD+ box. They also say they can make it wifi. I have 2 questions.

1. Has anyone tried this?
2. How are they making it wifi? are they using a wifi usb?
3. How is the internet usage if one plugs and starts using?

Folks please throw some light on this.
Sumathindra, I did try the VoD service by connecting the LAN cable directly to the set top box. Downloaded 1 movie. It used up 2.5GB. The movie was stored in my set top box for later viewing. I am not sure how long it was stored. But I did not find it after 15 days.

Never tried the Wifi version though.
gopikb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 00:49   #1744
BHPian

Hi everybody
I have a query please help.
I have installed tatasky HD box in one room and in another room the Standard Definion box.
The cables from the box to the TV are same,in both the rooms.Somebody told me that it should be HD cables(for HD box) which are different than the ones installed now and these are AV cables.Can somebody please clarify.
Thanks a lot.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 26th April 2012 at 00:50.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 08:02   #1745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
Hi everybody
I have a query please help.
I have installed tatasky HD box in one room and in another room the Standard Definion box.
The cables from the box to the TV are same,in both the rooms.Somebody told me that it should be HD cables(for HD box) which are different than the ones installed now and these are AV cables.Can somebody please clarify.
Thanks a lot.
Regards
The HD box has a HDMI cable out connection which comes with the box.Check with the installation guys if the HDMI cable is missing.The reception is better with HD cable compared to AV cable.
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 16:49   #1746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Sumathindra, I did try the VoD service by connecting the LAN cable directly to the set top box. Downloaded 1 movie. It used up 2.5GB. The movie was stored in my set top box for later viewing. I am not sure how long it was stored. But I did not find it after 15 days.

Thanks for the tip. I did call the folks @ TS+, it appears the movies are stored max for 2 weeks! The wifi dongle costs Rs. 1975/- and has to be taken from them. If taken from open market then TS will not be responsible for performance related issues. How is the content? i mean qualtity and quality. May try this weekend.
sumathindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 17:22   #1747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did call the folks @ TS+, it appears the movies are stored max for 2 weeks! The wifi dongle costs Rs. 1975/- and has to be taken from them. If taken from open market then TS will not be responsible for performance related issues. How is the content? i mean qualtity and quality. May try this weekend.
The quality of movie was typical good DVD quality.

Having got used to watching HD content mostly, I did not quote feel like watching the movie after downloading it.
Old 27th April 2012, 00:49   #1748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
The HD box has a HDMI cable out connection which comes with the box.Check with the installation guys if the HDMI cable is missing.The reception is better with HD cable compared to AV cable.
Bonecollector
Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
Will call them again and recheck.
I forgot to ask you one more thing.I dont see much difference between the HD & SD picture quality,just about 5 %.The sound in HD is far superior.(My tv is not the problem).What is your experience
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 02:08   #1749
BHPian

Quote:

Thats interesting. How do you exactly figure out the size of the movie?
I was using this when it was introduced earlier (december!) and downloaded quite a few old movies they had. The quality was good/watchable for old movies, I'm sure it must be better for newer movies (which I never tried).

Even now, they have quite a few movies, TV and concerts, the latest we bought on MOD was The Dirty Picture for Rs 25. It was good, this is a good service if they can provide a good collection. Never used wifi on that, I have my router around so simply using the cable to connect the STB. SD movies should not be more than 600-700MB according to me, I have collection of some HD/microHD and full HD movies and based on that I can tell that a microHD can be around 2-3GB in size.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 08:08   #1750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I have recently purchased a Panasonic 32 " HD ready lcd tv . Have been using the regular cable connection and have been kinda disappointed with picture clarity and quality.
Now which option would be better ?
1) Buying a set top box separately and continuing with my present cable connection.
2) Shifting to Hathway cables (They provide st boxes i believe)
3) Tata sky DTH.
In case of Tata sky DTH, would a regular SD set top box be good enough and provide better quality than my regular cable i am using now ?
See my previous post #1737 for details regarding the Hathway HD set top box, I got this recently.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 10:23   #1751
BHPian

Is Hathway HD Set top box available in Pune?
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 12:45   #1752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Bonecollector
Hi.
Thanks for your reply.
Will call them again and recheck.
I forgot to ask you one more thing.I dont see much difference between the HD & SD picture quality,just about 5 %.The sound in HD is far superior.(My tv is not the problem).What is your experience
Regards
There are 2 different size LCD TVs in use in my house,both SONY Bravia.One is 40" and the other is 32".There is a remarkable difference between the picture qualities in HD and SD channels if seen on 40" but when i watch the same SD channels on 32",the SD channels have better appearance than on 40".I am not using a HD box on my 32" TV.The sound of HD channels is 5.1 surround and is pretty nice,except for the fact that when i connect my home theater to it,the sound gets back to normal stereo.Which is your TV set?
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 13:23   #1753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Thats interesting. How do you exactly figure out the size of the movie?
SD movies should not be more than 600-700MB according to me, I have collection of some HD/microHD and full HD movies and based on that I can tell that a microHD can be around 2-3GB in size.
Ketan, I had downloaded the movie "Dil Chahtha Hai" in December when I saw the donload was 2GB (not 2.5GB) as indicated in my earlier post. Not sure why a SD movie was this big in size.
Name:  BSNL.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  6.9 KB
Old 27th April 2012, 13:28   #1754
BHPian

Quote:
Ketan, I had downloaded the movie "Dil Chahtha Hai" in December when I saw the donload was 2GB (not 2.5GB) as indicated in my earlier post. Not sure why a SD movie was this big in size.
Attachment 920783
Sorry, couldnt read the first two columns out there due to t-bhp watermark. Where exactly are you checking the download size? How reliable is that source (I meant how can it tell that this download is only for that movie and no other requests)!
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 21:41   #1755
BHPian

Question Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
As the case with Tata Sky, once recharge is done, channels as per the pack are available until it gets exhausted and service goes off. Even if the next recharge is done after 6 months, it works again with one call to customer care without any additional charges. Is it the same with Airtel as well?

I am planning to go for Airtel HD DTH. Let me know if any such or other issues regarding this?
Could anybody please reply
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote