Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 28th April 2012, 00:20   #1756
BHPian

Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Bone collector
Hi
Thanks your reply
With the HD box I have 42" Samsung LCD.Got it 2 months back.The only detail I remember is 1080i.Will have to hunt for the manual.Meanwhile as have mentioned there is not much difference between HD & SD.HD sound is better but it does fade out and it is not constant specially at the time of dialogues.
That is the reason for AV/HD wires between the set top box and the tv
The other tv is LG 32"LED.Have done the same as you viz SD box.But as I was thinking of upgrading to HD wanted your opinion specially as there is hardly any difference in the picture quality .
I have a DVD player which I havnt used for more than a year so my main usage is the telecast movies.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2012, 19:27   #1757
Senior - BHPian

I have a Tata Sky connection in our living room since last five years and a dish TV connection in parent's room since last five months. I am disappointed by poor quality installation by dish tv, today the setup box stopped receiving signals giving wrong alignment error. I never faced any issue with tata sky which is also installed on the roof of our house near dish tv's antenna.

When I called Dish TV customer care, they told me that I will be charged for this job . I was angry and told them to disconnect my connection and then the person told me to cool down and he will send a technician without any cost.

Poor strategy by dish tv I must say!

Last edited by bluevolt : 5th May 2012 at 19:29.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 12:44   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I spoke to our cable operator who mentioned I can consider Hathway HD Set Top box so got a demo set top box and couple of days later paid for the new one and now using it, very happy with this decision.
Set Top Box - Rs.5500/-
Monthly cable charges - Rs.250/-
Current List of HD channels are:
Star Movies, Movies Now, Zee Studio, Star Gold, Zee Cinema, Ten, Set Max, Star Plus, Colors, Zee TV, Star World, CNBC Prime, NGC, History, Discovery, Travel XP, M Tunes.
Among these, Travel XP, NGC, Discovery, Ten and Set Max are awesome
The same dilemma I am in. Two TV's and need HD for one. Tata Sky connection which I currently own will come around 500 per month if I opt for second TV. Your post made me give a second thought about Hathway. Is the 250 Rs per month inclusive of the second TV and HD channels you mentioned? Also can you please tell which area in Bangalore are you located in, Iam in Marthahalli area. Just asking since cable operators quality is highly dependend on the local service provider.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2012, 18:57   #1759
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
The same dilemma I am in. Two TV's and need HD for one. Tata Sky connection which I currently own will come around 500 per month if I opt for second TV. Your post made me give a second thought about Hathway. Is the 250 Rs per month inclusive of the second TV and HD channels you mentioned? Also can you please tell which area in Bangalore are you located in, Iam in Marthahalli area. Just asking since cable operators quality is highly dependend on the local service provider.
I currently pay only Rs.250 per month as I was paying earlier with 1 regular Hathway set top box.
The Hathway HD set top box has a one time payment (I paid Rs.5500, MRP is 6500) and you just need to pay the regular monthly cable charges and you get around 16 HD channels currently.
In our case, the cable operator is someone we know since past several years so he is not charging us for the second connection (the one without set top box). However, your cable operator may charge you for 2 connections, do check with them before you decide. I'm in C V Raman Nagar.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 09:11   #1760
BHPian

I installed Tata Sky with HD Recorder last month in my bedroom having 26'' Samsung HD Ready TV.

There is significant difference in the picture quality between SD & HD (same) channel. I did not find any improvement in sound quality though.

Due to this, I do not mind paying Rs 75 pm extra for HD channels.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Bone collector
Hi
Thanks your reply
With the HD box I have 42" Samsung LCD.Got it 2 months back.The only detail I remember is 1080i.Will have to hunt for the manual.Meanwhile as have mentioned there is not much difference between HD & SD.HD sound is better but it does fade out and it is not constant specially at the time of dialogues.
That is the reason for AV/HD wires between the set top box and the tv
The other tv is LG 32"LED.Have done the same as you viz SD box.But as I was thinking of upgrading to HD wanted your opinion specially as there is hardly any difference in the picture quality .
I have a DVD player which I havnt used for more than a year so my main usage is the telecast movies.
Regards
rx2389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 17:48   #1761
BHPian

RX2389
Thanks your reply
The sound quality may be different because of the tv.
I will take up the matter with their call center and ask for HD cables and see if there is a difference
Regards
Old 26th May 2012, 19:20   #1762
BHPian

Post Tatasky drop package

Tatasky has revamped their webpage.
They have made it easy to add packages.
But how do I DROP some optional package a few months after I have used it?

I think they deliberately made it hard to drop packages?

Any help on dropping optional packages?
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 00:57   #1763
BHPian

Manim
Hi
Quite possible.
They have live chat during office hours.I have used that twice and they are good.I found it better than calling them.
Regards
Old 27th May 2012, 20:03   #1764
BHPian

Post Drop Tatasky deliberately hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
They have live chat during office hours.I have used that twice and they are good.I found it better than calling them.
Thanks!

I raised a query from their website and within 24 hours they called back over phone, and now it is dropped.

I still think that while they make it easy to add packages, they deliberately make it hard to drop one.
manim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2012, 20:40   #1765
BHPian

Question Re: Reliance DTH?

What is with reliance DTH dropping the 'Movies Now' HD channel? Are they going to lose more HD channels? I am stuck with them coz the HD STB upscaler for SD channels is much better than other providers.
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 15:42   #1766
BHPian

Is any body else facing issues of distorted/blurry close ups of faces various channels on tata sky hd?

I think it started when they launched zee hd and sony hd. Please advice. I have a sony bravia full hd 40" tv.
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 16:27   #1767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Is any body else facing issues of distorted/blurry close ups of faces various channels on tata sky hd?

I think it started when they launched zee hd and sony hd. Please advice. I have a sony bravia full hd 40" tv.
I dont have TS but this is sign of too much compression on their broadcast to save bandwidth.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 16:35   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu

I dont have TS but this is sign of too much compression on their broadcast to save bandwidth.
Just checked, these are happening on my external devices also. This issue of blurry images is there when i put my computer and use the tv as display. So the problem looks to be with the TV. However, still images are perfectly fine, only moving mages are affected. What could be wrong?
M5_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 21:13   #1769
Senior - BHPian

I recently moved to Hathway HD at my home (cable service). They provide 20 HD channels currently without any change in monthly rentals (Rs 200 pm). The STB is expensive at Rs 5500. Picture and audio quality is very good with some channels in 5.1 audio with more being added regularly. The box does not provide record/replay capability yet, but expected soon.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 22:34   #1770
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Tatasky drop package

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Tatasky has revamped their webpage.
They have made it easy to add packages.
But how do I DROP some optional package a few months after I have used it?

I think they deliberately made it hard to drop packages?

Any help on dropping optional packages?
I face the same issue. For dropping packages, calling the call-center seems to be the only option. I wish just like adding channels using SMS, they would provide removing channels/packs using SMS (besides internet).
SDP is offline   Reply With Quote