Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th October 2012, 14:52   #1816
BHPian

Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Also, they are out of space in their transponders so I hope they change the satellite very soon.
Did not understand the above, what does this exactly mean ? Will we face any disruption in service ?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 14:53   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
@khoj; As per my experience their changes are prospective and not retrospective, i.e. they come in only when your current subscription expires. So far that is my experience.

Also, they are out of space in their transponders so I hope they change the satellite very soon.
Yes, once you are on the mega pack, any new channels added is covered in at at no extra cost. However in spite of that if they charge Rs. 100 then it is daylight robbery! I just got out of a online chat session with a TS exec and he confirmed the launch of colors HD channels and the services to be restored by evening. I guess it is wait and watch now.
sumathindra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 15:08   #1818
Senior - BHPian

With the GOI taking decisions with retrospective effect what is going to stop these guys. Dealing with some of TATA entities is much more tedious than dealing with the toughest of government departments.

The MTNL AKSH combo IPTV connection is acting up yet again. I am thinking of reviving my old Dish tv sd connection, will be interesting to see whether their CS has improved compared to what it used to be 3 odd years ago when I switched to TSky.

Quote:
@khoj; As per my experience their changes are prospective and not retrospective, i.e. they come in only when your current subscription expires. So far that is my experience.

khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 09:40   #1819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Airtel STBs seem to have this habit of breaking down only after the warranty period expires. I have faced this issue 2 times. Really bad.
Very true. I had mine broken exactly after the warranty period. In most of the cases, what I have found is that Google is much more helpful than their customer care.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:20   #1820
BHPian

Apparently TSHD services are restored. I am on Mega Pack and was not charged anything extra
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 10:23   #1821
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder where Tata is getting the bandwidth. This morning in addition to Colours HD, I saw a flyer with one more movie and three Tamil channels.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 13:58   #1822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Yes, once you are on the mega pack, any new channels added is covered in at at no extra cost. However in spite of that if they charge Rs. 100 then it is daylight robbery! I just got out of a online chat session with a TS exec and he confirmed the launch of colors HD channels and the services to be restored by evening. I guess it is wait and watch now.

I had taken a MEGA pack on Oct 7 last year, and they didn't raise my charges till Sunday when that pack ran out - as per their earlier promises.

HOWEVER, I had to get MEGA-HD pack now, the MEGA pack doesn't have any HD channel at all. The difference in annual subscription is Rs. 900 (i.e. 75/month) and this is the only way you can get HD for Rs.75/month. All other packs charge Rs.1200/year for HD

I was pissed, so I did a search, Tata Sky happens to be the most expensive DTH provided as of last night when it comes all-you-can-eat-including-HD kind of a pack with fewer HD channels than most of its competition !

The problem with switching to somebody else is the STB cost, otherwise I would have switched last night.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 14:26   #1823
Distinguished - BHPian

@vina; I also find their service excellent. Also, with a mega pack there are no service charges, some free movies (I have never used that), etc. My son has an Airtel in Manipal. He asked for a second room HD they did not install it for over a week (some excuse of not having a multi channel LNB) . Finally when he read them the riot act they installed a second dish in a day.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:39   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
I had taken a MEGA pack on Oct 7 last year, and they didn't raise my charges till Sunday when that pack ran out - as per their earlier promises.

HOWEVER, I had to get MEGA-HD pack now, the MEGA pack doesn't have any HD channel at all. The difference in annual subscription is Rs. 900 (i.e. 75/month) and this is the only way you can get HD for Rs.75/month. All other packs charge Rs.1200/year for HD

I was pissed, so I did a search, Tata Sky happens to be the most expensive DTH provided as of last night when it comes all-you-can-eat-including-HD kind of a pack with fewer HD channels than most of its competition !

The problem with switching to somebody else is the STB cost, otherwise I would have switched last night.
Well Iam on mega HD since HD was started on TS. Yes TS is expensive and if I calculate my monthly outflow it hovers around 550 to 600 per month. Cable fellow is cheap at 250pm The advantage is you get to watch some 10 movies free otherwise which will be charged at 50 or 75 per view based on the movie. Their CS is quite good and me being a premium member issue resolutions are quick.

Last edited by sumathindra : 9th October 2012 at 14:41. Reason: edits
sumathindra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 14:54   #1825

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
However in spite of that if they charge Rs. 100 then it is daylight robbery!
Indeed it is daylight robbery. And I am not on Mega-HD so it bites me more on my monthly outflow.

I still wonder, with the HD charges being so exorbitant with TataSky, why would they dish out in-programme advertisements? The whole point of paying extra for HD (now a.k.a. HD Access Fee) is the high-def quality and commercial free entertainment. Any ideas on what are the laws pertaining to this?
sankdadevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2012, 15:51   #1826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
In the meantime, searched various DTH forums (in a desperation to save Rs. 1500 as well) and found the solution as below:

1. Do a hard reset of the set top box by pressing the below four buttons together.
-Right
-Bottom
-OK
-Back

2. The system will reboot and start over again with the following screens
- choose language
- choose resolution (576 to 1080i)
- Installation set-up screen (LNB set-up) > change ''DiSEqC'' to ''none'' (it was earlier ''DiSEqC A'')
- save
- System automatically downloads the new software (version 450 for HD and HD DVR), else you may choose the manual mode to download the latest software.

This solved the problem.
Fantastic, where did you get this info from ?

I am planning an upgrade to Airtel HD DVR since it works out cheaper. Anyone has any idea about the HDD capacity ? And does it have composite out other than HDMI ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 00:09   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vina; I also find their service excellent. Also, with a mega pack there are no service charges, some free movies (I have never used that), etc. My son has an Airtel in Manipal. He asked for a second room HD they did not install it for over a week (some excuse of not having a multi channel LNB) . Finally when he read them the riot act they installed a second dish in a day.

Sir

I'm not complaining about the service, that is not bad at all. Not that I had to use it (I don't remember using it at all), but then the best service providers are those that don't need to be used.

My house in Delhi has airtel, two TVs - no problems on that either, plus I like that STB better.

Still I don't really have much of a complaint against Tata Sky except that the thing is damn expensive now, and I'm not comparing it against the crappy cable providers we have in town.

We do get free Showcase movies, but then the same movies are invariably available within weeks on some channel or the other (usually in HD) for free ! Anyway, I swallowed hard and took out another year of Mega HD subscription.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 11:58   #1828
Distinguished - BHPian

@vina; I think the Sho9wcase movies are without advts, knocks about 20% of the running time. I think the Airtel STB is the generic one used by them, Reliance and many others. Soemtimes I wonder what happened to the order that the STBs should be interchangeable. I guess it is lost in some file!
Old 10th October 2012, 12:18   #1829
Senior - BHPian

Videocon d2h , on there website ,does not show breakup of how the balance was used ,debit and credit . Did any one ask them breakup of the amount about how it was used ? . They are deliberately not showing how was balance was utilized and how much amount was debited for what reason .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 14:28   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder where Tata is getting the bandwidth. This morning in addition to Colours HD, I saw a flyer with one more movie and three Tamil channels.
By knocking off some channels. Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is gone. I guess that's how they free up capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post

I agree with everyone here who says that for the expense of Tata Sky you get much better service, a better interface (in my opinion) and tech that works and doesn't fail - I have a regular + box and an HD+ with no issues and no failures ever.

That being said, I was pissed as well by the cost of mega pack when I was to renew it earlier this year. I remember that costing Rs. 5,500, all inclusive, a couple of years ago. Anyway here is what I did to save myself money. I got the Grand Sports Pack, which gives you more or less everything (all news, all English channels) for Rs. 4500 odd and I added HD Gold for Rs. 1200. Total 5700 as opposed to Rs. 6700 for mega + HD. This will not work if you want southern channels. I have a colleague who wanted all those and had no option but to go for mega.

Sure, I lose the free movies. But I wasn't using up my quota anyhow. I watched at max 3 in a year. I figured even if I paid for those I was still in profit, so to speak.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote