Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th October 2013, 19:10   #2191
Senior - BHPian

Default Videocon D2H - Customer care doesn't know a thing!

UPDATE: Finally, it took Kerala south zone Sales manger himself to resolve a technical issue!

He resolved the recording issue after asking me to turn the box on, when I reached home.

Videocon, it is a shame that your call center guys don't know a thing about DTH, Videocon, STB features, Offers from videocon, price list and basic technical know-how to troubleshoot most common issues that customers face.

Last edited by clevermax : 11th October 2013 at 19:13.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 19:32   #2192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Noticed today evening that MTunesHD on TataSKY channel 666 is also coming in non-HD format on channel 665. I hope that this is not a cheap trick by TataSKY to remove the HD channel and leave the non-HD one. Any other DTH platforms having similar issues?
Welcome to the club
A common trick by Dish TV (?) HD!

Incidentally, we have started getting Star Action Movies on SD from today, on Dish TV!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 11th October 2013 at 19:34.
cpbopanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2013, 21:22   #2193
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Update on my Videocon D'0'H - From Bad to Worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Today morning I logged on to their site and logged a complaint. .....
After couple of hours, I got a call from South Kerala sales head of D2H, and he accepted the mistake after listening to me. ....
I'm glad for you.
If you could please PM me your customer ID, maybe I could escalate the matter here in Delhi by citing your case.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 12:02   #2194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I'm glad for you.
If you could please PM me your customer ID, maybe I could escalate the matter here in Delhi by citing your case.
Will send.
I am yet to get the proper box (500gb). I am given the model 4611 which is apparently a phased out version and it is not supposed to be sold now. I should have got the model 4612 instead.

I happen to notice that I am not able to add any channel to the favourites list. Manual says, go to all channels view and press the green button. But I am not even able to go to the full channel list as shown in the screen shot in the manual. Simply by pressing OK button, I get a channels list but there's no option to add a channel to Favourites.

How do you add a channel to favourites? Is it possible with your box?
Any Videocon users having 4611 box please help.

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-20131009-20.13.16.jpg

Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH UHD (4K) now available-20131009-20.13.55.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 12th October 2013 at 12:04.
Old 12th October 2013, 17:49   #2195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How do you add a channel to favourites? Is it possible with your box?
Adding favourites is not a problem with my box (model 2222); 20 channels each can be stored by 4 users, making a total of 80 channels.

Needless to say that no one from Videocon D2h has called today to fix my problem!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2013, 17:56   #2196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Adding favourites is not a problem with my box (model 2222); 20 channels each can be stored by 4 users, making a total of 80 channels.

Needless to say that no one from Videocon D2h has called today to fix my problem!
My new box (model 4612) is now on its way from Cochin to Trivandrum. It should reach home by 9pm today.

Fortunately my issue got escalated properly by the sales manager and he is directly following up on my case. He even called me couple of times to keep me updated on the status.

But all these shouldn't have happened in the first place!
Old 13th October 2013, 06:20   #2197
Senior - BHPian

Update : day 8: Received new box with 500gb hdd and 1080p. One person hand carried it to my home from Cochin. I was expecting model 4612, but received a 4614 which is better.

Next hurdle is to link this new box to my account id and to get it provisioned. Since this is a change which is not usual, the sales manager told me that it might need an approval from higher ups which he will manage.

Last edited by clevermax : 13th October 2013 at 06:23.
Old 15th October 2013, 17:03   #2198
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

UPDATE (day 9): Found out that the new 500gb box has a peculiar problem - its hard drive stops functioning after half an hour after switching the box on.

Then it shows this during boot - Either there is no hard disk or the hard disk is damaged. Recording features won't work.

Day 10: Got a call from Videocon Bangalore office. Some higher up official had called. Talked for about 15 minutes, and he promised that the nodal sales manager and a tech. guy will come to my house and check the issue. He also said that I am free to call it a refund any time. (This gave huge peace of mind)

Day 11: The sales manager and tech. guy came to my house and checked the box. The issue was that the HDD was overheating. 30 minutes into the operation from a cold start, the HDD gets heated and it shuts down by itself.

On investigating further, a design flaw is revealed. The HDD is placed right above the main processor whose tiny heat sink can't handle all that heat and thus it gets convected to the HDD's metal holder and then to the HDD. Hardware packaging has done the damage. They should have thoroughly tested the stability of this SoC under this hardware packaging before putting it under production and rolling it out to consumers.

Though they said this is a single case where this problem occurred, I am sure all the boxes with this model number might be facing this issue with varying magnitudes of heat. It is bad for long term HDD life no doubt.

I have to also say that Videocon support that I got ever since reporting my very first issue was really good. Now the full refund has been given to me and still I have the fully provisioned box (with South platinum HD) at home. I will be getting a brand new box in about 3-4 days time.

Last edited by clevermax : 15th October 2013 at 17:05.
Old 16th October 2013, 19:52   #2199
BHPian

Wow!

Free preview of Star World Premiere HD is now available on Dish TV HD, Channel 40!
Old 18th October 2013, 10:09   #2200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Wow!

Free preview of Star World Premiere HD is now available on Dish TV HD, Channel 40!
What is the time limit of the preview? In Videocon it is available at Rs. 53/- a month. Worth subscribing? (I like to watch English movies)
Old 18th October 2013, 10:59   #2201
BHPian

Quote:

What is the time limit of the preview? In Videocon it is available at Rs. 53/- a month. Worth subscribing? (I like to watch English movies)
The time-limit for the free preview is not mentioned. Nor are the people in the help-desk (Dish TV) aware of it.

Kindly note that this is not a movie channel, only serials. That being said, the serials are current and quite good.

Rs. 53 pm is quite expensive, isn't it? But what choice do we have?

I am already on Dish TV's highest package and after adding the 2 HBO HD channels, the monthly subscription including taxes comes close to Rs. 700, that too after paying for the year up-front! If I add Star World Premiere HD (assuming that the subscription is the same as that of Videocon HD), my monthly pay-out will be Rs. 750 or Rs. 25/day.

The sad part is that we seldom watch more than 10 - 15 good channels!
Old 19th October 2013, 09:05   #2202
Senior - BHPian

I have a Tata Sky HD Connection hooked to my LG Plasma via HDMI. Now I was wondering if I can utilise the RCA ports on Tatasky box to run my 5.1 Ch. stereo system as the TV only has Optical audio out.
Would like to know if its possible to use both the STB output ports i.e. RCA & HDMI simultaneously.

MODS: Don't know if this is the right thread for my query so please move it to appropriate thread (if required).
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 09:56   #2203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
I have a Tata Sky HD Connection hooked to my LG Plasma via HDMI. Now I was wondering if I can utilise the RCA ports on Tatasky box to run my 5.1 Ch. stereo system as the TV only has Optical audio out.
Would like to know if its possible to use both the STB output ports i.e. RCA & HDMI simultaneously.

MODS: Don't know if this is the right thread for my query so please move it to appropriate thread (if required).
You can very well run RCA lines to the other AV sources.
But the tata sky box has no 5.1 RCA level out.
If you have a AV receiver capable of taking optical/SPDIF input. Then you can run a optical cable to your receiver from your TV or tata sky box to get 5.1 audio.
Note at this time not all the channels deliver native5.1 audio.
sumanbhokray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2013, 10:11   #2204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
If you have a AV receiver capable of taking optical/SPDIF input. Then you can run a optical cable to your receiver from your TV or tata sky box to get 5.1 audio.
As far as I know, currently Dish TV HD provides Dolby Digital 5.1, on Movies Now! I am not sure whether Airtel HD or Videocon HD provide 5.1. But I do remember Airtel advertising 7.1 audio, wonder how far that's true!

Tata Sky for sure does not have Dolby Digital 5.1
Old 19th October 2013, 12:12   #2205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumanbhokray View Post
Thanks a lot for replying to my query, I have an option to use either 5.1 (obviously ruled out now) or more humble 2.1 Logitech, can I connect this 2.1 to RCA of STB via RCA to RCA male cable & enjoy some good sound till I purchase optical port Home theater.

Last edited by samsag12 : 19th October 2013 at 12:13.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote