Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 11:57   #2296
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I think below combination will include all channels for you.

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) = Rs.407/ month
With multiroom and annual recharge options, is it reaching 13K + ?
In tata sky currently I get regional + all hindi + all eng ent and movies + all sports (except Ten) + all kids and info channels

To match my Tata Sky package in Videocon I have to:

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) + Sports HD (121) + English Universe (62) + Info Style (34) = 624 rs / month

or I can do a New South Platinum HD which is only 541 rs / month or 499/month annually

To do this, i need to 2 multi room which is 500 rs per month (250 X 2)

Plus star world premier HD = 500 rs per year

plus HBO defined (when they launch, this itself means no to videocon for me) = 990 rs per year

So the total in Videocon comes to 13,476 rs whereas Tata Sky comes to 12740. Also, in tata sky monhtly i recharge before due date above 300 I get 15 rs credit which means in a year i get 180 rs, so total cost comes to 12740 - 180 = 12560

which is around 916 rs cheaper than videocon !!!

Am I wrong in the calculation?
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 12:34   #2297
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Here is the split up:

madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 21:11   #2298
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
In tata sky currently I get regional + all hindi + all eng ent and movies + all sports (except Ten) + all kids and info channels

To match my Tata Sky package in Videocon I have to:

South Silver (176) +English entertainment (62)+ HD Globe (169) + Sports HD (121) + English Universe (62) + Info Style (34) = 624 rs / month

or I can do a New South Platinum HD which is only 541 rs / month or 499/month annually

To do this, i need to 2 multi room which is 500 rs per month (250 X 2)

Plus star world premier HD = 500 rs per year

plus HBO defined (when they launch, this itself means no to videocon for me) = 990 rs per year

So the total in Videocon comes to 13,476 rs whereas Tata Sky comes to 12740. Also, in tata sky monhtly i recharge before due date above 300 I get 15 rs credit which means in a year i get 180 rs, so total cost comes to 12740 - 180 = 12560

which is around 916 rs cheaper than videocon !!!

Am I wrong in the calculation?
HD Globae has star hd1,hd2 and Ten HD. No need of additional sports HD pack, as it just adds Sony Six.(you can add it as ala carte, if required).

Anyway, if the highest package comparison, points to huge difference, then there is no point in wasting time on calculation of various other permutation and combination. . Because each provider gives maximum enefit only on the highest package.

So, if you are watching almost all channels on the highest pack, Tatasky is better.


Earlier I too used to take the highest available package option and do long term recharges. Then later I reaised that we are not watching even 60% of the channels and switched to basic + add ons + <various other bundles like sport or other stuff>,whenever needed. With online package reconfiguration options, it works good.

And for me when I did some comparison earlier, D2H was cheaper to tatasky. (When I made the switch the malayalam channels on Tata sky were just 4 .Now D2H have around 22(20+2 religious) Malayalam channels.)
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 22:50   #2299
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

so, i just checked up. its a bit urgent now since our STB gave up the ghost two days back - the wife/kid are borderline distraught, esp since I'm traveling for work.

airtel SD = 0.5k
airtel HD DVR = 2.5k
TS+ HD etc is around 7k.

The gap seems too much to bridge as of now. What am I missing?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 11:37   #2300
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default

I'm in a face palm situation here. Turns out I had misunderstood the customer care guy. The hd dvr is five thousand while the SD recorder is 1500 under replacement. It claims to be unlimited but it can record to a pen drive that's not larger than 8Gb.that's not more than eight - ten hours of recording, right?

My worry is that in an year or so, we'll pay about 1900 for this including recording pack , which will be worthless at that time.

At the same time I'm worried that these things have the life of 2-3 years/warranty of 1 year and buying a hd dvr isn't much cheaper either.

What would others suggest? Tata sky doesn't sell a SD dvr anymore, as per their Web site.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 11:51   #2301
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 1,476 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

I have taken new DishTV truhd recorder connection yesterday at Pune.

Cost: Rs.1400 including 1 month free 400rs pack. Next month onwards it is 400rs per month
Recording: Free. I need to connect pen drive/external drive to the STB. Other companies like Airtel/Videocon were charging 25/30Rs per month for this recording.

The recording is simple, that is you can either record the channel you are seeing, or when the TV is off. You can't see one channel and record another. That effectively means you are watching two channels, and requires two cables. I am not keen on recording one program while watching other, and wanted some simple recording unit with minimal investment.

I have not yet switched it on, as the TV is not connected yet. Once it is done, I will post about the quality of HD.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 16:13   #2302
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 645
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Here is the split up:

Yes tatsky is good if you pay yearly. But if you want to pay monthly its D2H, since there is not much difference between yearly and monthly. If you are going to pay TataSky monthly, prices become exorbitant
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 16:27   #2303
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Yes tatsky is good if you pay yearly. But if you want to pay monthly its D2H, since there is not much difference between yearly and monthly. If you are going to pay TataSky monthly, prices become exorbitant
At least not for my requirement. tata sky is still 972 rs cheaper even if I pay monthly. In fact, monthly tata sky is more cheaper compared to Videocon!!!

madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 16:34   #2304
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

At the same time I'm worried that these things have the life of 2-3 years/warranty of 1 year and buying a hd dvr isn't much cheaper either.

What would others suggest? Tata sky doesn't sell a SD dvr anymore, as per their Web site.
My tata sky HD+ pvr stopped working and the replacement if I remember was rs 300. May be my memory is bad, even at that I didnt beleive it!!! I thought it will be 3000 rs
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 16:42   #2305
Senior - BHPian
 
dass's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,052
Thanked: 434 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
At least not for my requirement. tata sky is still 972 rs cheaper even if I pay monthly. In fact, monthly tata sky is more cheaper compared to Videocon!!!
Just a thought. Shouldn't you be calculating videocon at 12months + 40 days extra that you get by doing a long term recharge of 12 months? IF you are going to be paying it monthly, then your calculation is absolutely correct.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 17:01   #2306
BHPian
 
madbullram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chennai & Appleton, WI
Posts: 513
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Just a thought. Shouldn't you be calculating videocon at 12months + 40 days extra that you get by doing a long term recharge of 12 months? IF you are going to be paying it monthly, then your calculation is absolutely correct.
Yeap. Did that for yearly. Look at my previous post with yearly calculation.

I have used489.8462 rs monthly, bcos yearly its 6485 for 12+1 (free) = 13 months. So 6485/13 = 489.8456 rs
madbullram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 23:17   #2307
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Hi everybody
I have a T.Sky and have been using it for more than 2 years.
In these 2 years this is the eighth box I have got and am fed up. Thinking of switching to Videocon.
I have HDMI 13 Samsung 42" LED TV.I could not see much difference between TS HD and Standard definition so I retained the HD box and unsubscribed the HD channels.
My query is when I switch should I go for HD or SD box? What is the difference in percentage terms? Is it worthwhile?
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2014, 23:41   #2308
BHPian
 
cpbopanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 561
Thanked: 783 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
I have a T.Sky and have been using it for more than 2 years.
In these 2 years this is the eighth box I have got and am fed up. Thinking of switching to Videocon.
I have HDMI 13 Samsung 42" LED TV.I could not see much difference between TS HD and Standard definition so I retained the HD box and unsubscribed the HD channels.
My query is when I switch should I go for HD or SD box? What is the difference in percentage terms? Is it worthwhile?
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
What ever you do, please avoid Dish TV.

To call them a bunch of cheats would be an understatement.

After collecting the 'discounted' annual payment for platinum HD package, they systematically remove HD and SD channels one by one.

They have convenient excuses, the channel has hiked the access free and you will have to subscribe separately as an al-la-carte`. As compensation, a ridiculous SD channel which they themselves would not watch is provided.

After my year's subscription is complete, I am planning to switch over to Tata Sky and only opt for channels that I need.

Beware of Dish TV, they have no scruples. I assume and hope that Tata Sky are ethically better.

BTW, my above statement is after being a loyal Dish TV subscriber for more than 12 years, starting with a 3' dish and basic SD box!
cpbopanna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 22:58   #2309
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 221
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
I have a T.Sky and have been using it for more than 2 years.
In these 2 years this is the eighth box I have got and am fed up. Thinking of switching to Videocon.
I have HDMI 13 Samsung 42" LED TV.I could not see much difference between TS HD and Standard definition so I retained the HD box and unsubscribed the HD channels.
My query is when I switch should I go for HD or SD box? What is the difference in percentage terms? Is it worthwhile?
Please guide
Thanks a lot
Regards
For D2H the price difference between SD box and HD box entry offers are ~300 only. So it is better to go for HD box. Also the HD box has SPDIF out which you can connect to your home theatre and get Dolby output on some of the HD channels.

Check the online offers option, for some of the bunled freebies.
mykal shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 00:37   #2310
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: mumbai
Posts: 450
Thanked: 181 Times
Default Re: Direct-To-Home television in India. Update DTH HD announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
For D2H the price difference between SD box and HD box entry offers are ~300 only. So it is better to go for HD box. Also the HD box has SPDIF out which you can connect to your home theatre and get Dolby output on some of the HD channels.

Check the online offers option, for some of the bunled freebies.
Mykal/CPBopanna
Hi.
Thanks your replies.
I have no problem with the slight extra charge.My only worry is that in the 2 years of Tata Sky I had to change the HD box 8 times and the SD box only once.Another time that the SD box was changed when TS upgraded their system.
So please guide what difference could be between SD and HD box.Just an approximate in percentage trms.

CP.
THe choice is between continuing with TS or switching to Videocon.Incidentally before I switched to TS I used VC for more than a year.I changed as they did not have Comedy Central, which they have now.
Thanks once again for your replies
Regards
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your Favourite Host? (television presenters) Pferdestärke Shifting gears 102 28th December 2012 12:17
Has anyone tried Direct to Car (DTC) using DTH receivers ? StarVegabond In-Car Entertainment 13 9th December 2009 10:14
Civic Hybrid to be only available as a direct company import, not through showrooms. sidindica The Indian Car Scene 15 17th June 2009 13:42
40 inch LCD Television mobike008 Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 16th February 2007 05:03
Dish TV - DTH VMG Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 9th November 2005 15:26


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks