Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th September 2009, 12:54   #841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I love Airtel Digital, it is a great experience. I have only one grouse though. POGO does not have dual language broadcast. Comes only in Hindi. I have addressed the problem to the CC many times only to get dumb replies saying whatever languages we get, we give. At the same time, in my Dish TV, I get the programs in english.

@sajands.. here is the link for the packages

Airtel digital TV Packages – DTH Packages - DTH Offers in India
Esteem_lover, thanks for the link, went through it and also looked at tatasky. There is not custom package available with any provider where customer can select their own channel choice and pay for that.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 13:02   #842
BHPian

Quote:
The only -ve point IMO about DishTV is that you don't get Neo Sports or Neo Cricket on it!
thats true, I've used dish tv for 3 years now, havnt had any major issues so far, but I'm not very sure if they are the best option out there.
amith.2974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:21   #843
BHPian

Default can any stb work outside India?

Funny I should ask this question -- knowing fully well that the answer could be a flat no, still here goes :

i might be moving to the US on a long duration assignment ( 1+ yr) and wanted to know if I can keep the tata sky+ stb along and use it over there. I had used Dish TV in my last stay in 2005-6 and had to pay a very heavy rental for all the limited channels that used to be aired over there. Also wanted to know if I can buy the dish and the other connecting wires needed otc in US? My only spec of doubt is the reception quality could be terrible since all the dth connections are directed via Insat satellites and might not be able to render anything at all in US. I know for sure of instances of people having taking the tata sky stb to Dubai( the engineer who had done the installation confirmed this though said its strictly not supported by the company).
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:31   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Esteem_lover, thanks for the link, went through it and also looked at tatasky. There is not custom package available with any provider where customer can select their own channel choice and pay for that.
Dish TV has a basic package for 65/- a month plus you get to choose a group of channels as per your need. Not very exciting but better than having to pay for some stupid channels that you do not need.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 14:38   #845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Funny I should ask this question -- knowing fully well that the answer could be a flat no, still here goes :

i might be moving to the US on a long duration assignment ( 1+ yr) and wanted to know if I can keep the tata sky+ stb along and use it over there. I had used Dish TV in my last stay in 2005-6 and had to pay a very heavy rental for all the limited channels that used to be aired over there. Also wanted to know if I can buy the dish and the other connecting wires needed otc in US? My only spec of doubt is the reception quality could be terrible since all the dth connections are directed via Insat satellites and might not be able to render anything at all in US. I know for sure of instances of people having taking the tata sky stb to Dubai( the engineer who had done the installation confirmed this though said its strictly not supported by the company).
It is mentioned as a clause in the terms & conditions that the STB & subscription will be used only within India. That said, there are many people who are using it outside India where the regular cable tv is costlier. It should definitely be available in the grey market. Like for eg. here in Dubai, you get to buy DishTV, TataSky, SunDTH but all these are illegal as per the government. If you carry the STB & subscription card with you, it can be detected at the airport scanners. A safer bet would be to pick it up from someone there.

Last edited by wheeler : 14th September 2009 at 14:39.
wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 16:36   #846
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know where to buy the recharge card for Big TV around Brookfield/Marathalli?

I think there is one in ITPL, but anyother around Marathahalli?
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:27   #847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
It is mentioned as a clause in the terms & conditions that the STB & subscription will be used only within India. That said, there are many people who are using it outside India where the regular cable tv is costlier. It should definitely be available in the grey market. Like for eg. here in Dubai, you get to buy DishTV, TataSky, SunDTH but all these are illegal as per the government. If you carry the STB & subscription card with you, it can be detected at the airport scanners. A safer bet would be to pick it up from someone there.
hi wheeler -- thanks for the advice. I know for sure its available in Dubai since its in the same equatorial zone. not sure what can be done if we need to see it in UK or US
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 14:50   #848
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Anyone know where to buy the recharge card for Big TV around Brookfield/Marathalli?

I Normally Buy from Oxygen/Oxycash Outlets where they print out the serial no. It is easy.just look for Oxygen Logo.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:07   #849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post

I dont think the satellite footprint for these programs will be available in the U.S.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:09   #850
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post

You can recharge online at Reliance BIG TV - India's Best Digital TV Service

I have done this twice w/o any issues.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 15:13   #851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I Normally Buy from Oxygen/Oxycash Outlets where they print out the serial no. It is easy.just look for Oxygen Logo.
Ok. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You can recharge online at Reliance BIG TV - India's Best Digital TV Service

I have done this twice w/o any issues.
I seen this, but was little hesitant to do a online transaction for these fellows
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 23:11   #852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Pending task mentioned above has been completed !

Did a long comparison between TataSky and Airtel. I have both DTH Boxes at home.

- Hooked up both to my receiver on different composite AV inputs. Composite monitor out to the same AV input mode on my PV8
- Viewing distance varied from 1 ft to 10 ft.
- Watched all sorts of channels. Obviously the same channel on both boxes when comparing.
- Could easily and instantly switch between the sources, using the AV selector on the Denon. Almost negligible time lag between the switches, allowing for instant comparison.

Honestly speaking, there was no noticeable difference. Or I have bad eyesight. (btw, I don't wear specs and have normal eyesight otherwise).

Only on one channel - Star Sports during some golf programme did I feel that Airtel had a weeeeeee weeeeeee bit more richer grass colour. The difference was so negligible that, were I to choose between the 2 sets, I wouldn't keep PQ as a consideration. Would rather look at features/price/service etc.

Btw, I prefer the TataSky interface. It's easier to use IMO.
So, does that mean MPEG4 and DVB S-2 on Airtel are not able to make any difference here?

I was in impression that Airtel should have better PQ/SQ and I was looking forward to switch from TS to Airtel, now after looking at this comparision, it seems there is no difference and I may have to try this out myself! Has to be on the same TV at the same time so difference can be identified.

The reason, I was planning to move was, lately some of the channels, a couple of them (dont remember which ones) I was experiencing issues watching on my TV, it was showing a bit blurry OR it may be power of my eyeglasses! but other channles look perfectly fine, and when I watch movies with Philips 5996 or this new guy, Xtreamer its awesome! I dont think I have any problems with my eyes (that may be because of the sharpness on those movies).
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 23:48   #853
Team-BHP Support

I am in the market for a DTH connection. In fact I will most probably need 2 STBs for the two TVs in my house. In my preliminary look-around I discovered a few interesting things,

* Tata Sky is costly when compared to Dish TV or Big TV when compared package for package. For around the same cost as on others Tata Sky gives far lesser channels.

* All the DTH services have so designed their packages that you will never be satisfied 100% till you have opted for their costliest package. They deliberately take out a few popular channels from each package and add it into the next higher one. This keeps happening till you reach the costliest package.

* Unlike others, Dish TV's costlier packages also include the sports channels in them. In fact the Platinum pack at 280+taxes (comes to roughly 312 or so) has almost all the channels including the sports channels. This then works out to be the cheapest catch-all package amongst all the DTH providers.

* Irrespective of the pop myth Dish also provides Neo sports and Neo Cricket and it is available in the above mentioned package.

* And the clincher. All these calculations go for a toss if you are looking for 2 STBs. Immediately Tata Sky becomes cheaper or at least equally competitive as others (at least when you opt for the costliest pack from the respective service providers). This is because all the others give you a maximum discount of 50% on the second connection. Whereas Tata Sky charges you a flat 125 bucks package charge for the 2nd STB, and it gets the same package as your primary STB.

Two last things

1. I failed to understand why they charge the full hardware cost (1500+) even for the second connection since you just need the STB and wire and not the dish. 2nd connection uses the same dish as the primary connection.

2. Dish TV writes boldly on their site, and also say the same when you call them, that they charge an advance rental of 3 years on CPE (customer premises equipment). I could not get this. We buy the dish, STB etc. Right? Then where is the question of rental? The joker I talked to at Dish TV himself got confused and tried to confuse me to the best of his abilities as well. My suspicion is that 1500 or so odd bucks that we pay for the dish, stb etc is rental and not the price. How is it with other service providers? Has anyone completed 3 years of service with any DTH service?

Last edited by Zappo : 15th September 2009 at 23:51.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 00:06   #854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
1. I failed to understand why they charge the full hardware cost (1500+) even for the second connection since you just need the STB and wire and not the dish. 2nd connection uses the same dish as the primary connection.
So far I am aware, they do not charge for the dish. It still remains the property of the DTH provider. Not sure about the STB.

I use Tata Sky's multiroom facility. Coupled with an Annual Mega pack. I subscribed to the mega pack when it was for Rs. 5000 (it is 5500 now) This translates to 416 per month with 12 free showcase movies for ALL channels, regional included. Also any new channels added during the next calendar year will be added on for free.

So for a total of 5000 + 1500 (125*12) = 6500 per year, I have access to all channels in 2 rooms.

Last edited by shuvc : 16th September 2009 at 00:08.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 08:58   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
So, does that mean MPEG4 and DVB S-2 on Airtel are not able to make any difference here?
It surely does, but it need not be necessarily used to improve PQ, most likely it will be used to broadcast more channels with less bandwidth.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote