Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th September 2009, 14:17   #856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
So far I am aware, they do not charge for the dish. It still remains the property of the DTH provider. Not sure about the STB.

I use Tata Sky's multiroom facility. Coupled with an Annual Mega pack. I subscribed to the mega pack when it was for Rs. 5000 (it is 5500 now) This translates to 416 per month with 12 free showcase movies for ALL channels, regional included. Also any new channels added during the next calendar year will be added on for free.

So for a total of 5000 + 1500 (125*12) = 6500 per year, I have access to all channels in 2 rooms.
How the multiroom facilty work? Do they make some sort of inter-receiver connection or give you a new card for the second receiver? Whats stopping someone getting this and giving the second box to a friend for say RS3500?
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 16:00   #857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
So far I am aware, they do not charge for the dish. It still remains the property of the DTH provider. Not sure about the STB.

I use Tata Sky's multiroom facility. Coupled with an Annual Mega pack. I subscribed to the mega pack when it was for Rs. 5000 (it is 5500 now) This translates to 416 per month with 12 free showcase movies for ALL channels, regional included. Also any new channels added during the next calendar year will be added on for free.

So for a total of 5000 + 1500 (125*12) = 6500 per year, I have access to all channels in 2 rooms.
1. Is this Tata Sky's multiroom facility mentioned anywhere on there site?
Am not able to locate it.
2. Are you satsified with their services?
3. What exactly is showcase movies?
AM asking this cos we also have 2 tv's at home and am thinking of getting this annual pack.
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 20:43   #858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I am in the market for a DTH connection. In fact I will most probably need 2 STBs for the two TVs in my house. In my preliminary look-around I discovered a few interesting things,

* Tata Sky is costly when compared to Dish TV or Big TV when compared package for package. For around the same cost as on others Tata Sky gives far lesser channels.

Perhaps but what you pay for is ease of use and the best user interface of any DTH service. I have TSky at home and DishTV at work. The latter sucks in usage and in the quality of the STB, which I need to reboot every two days to receive a signal and if I switch to standby I lose the channel I was watching. The remote in TSky is brilliant in its design and ease of use, Dish is awful.

* All the DTH services have so designed their packages that you will never be satisfied 100% till you have opted for their costliest package. They deliberately take out a few popular channels from each package and add it into the next higher one. This keeps happening till you reach the costliest package.

* Unlike others, Dish TV's costlier packages also include the sports channels in them. In fact the Platinum pack at 280+taxes (comes to roughly 312 or so) has almost all the channels including the sports channels. This then works out to be the cheapest catch-all package amongst all the DTH providers.

* Irrespective of the pop myth Dish also provides Neo sports and Neo Cricket and it is available in the above mentioned package.

* And the clincher. All these calculations go for a toss if you are looking for 2 STBs. Immediately Tata Sky becomes cheaper or at least equally competitive as others (at least when you opt for the costliest pack from the respective service providers). This is because all the others give you a maximum discount of 50% on the second connection. Whereas Tata Sky charges you a flat 125 bucks package charge for the 2nd STB, and it gets the same package as your primary STB.

True, the multi-room Rs. 125 deal is sweet.

Two last things

1. I failed to understand why they charge the full hardware cost (1500+) even for the second connection since you just need the STB and wire and not the dish. 2nd connection uses the same dish as the primary connection.

Because as other have said, you pay only for the STB and not the dish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
1. Is this Tata Sky's multiroom facility mentioned anywhere on there site?
Am not able to locate it.
2. Are you satsified with their services?
3. What exactly is showcase movies?
AM asking this cos we also have 2 tv's at home and am thinking of getting this annual pack.
1. Tata Sky in Multiple Rooms ? DTH Multiple Connections, Digital Satellite Television India ? Tata Sky
2. Yes
3. The movies they show on a chargeable basis, uninterrupted by ads are called Showcase movies. For example they were showing Kaminey over the weekend for 75 bucks.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 11:47   #859
BHPian

After reading this thread I decided to check out the Airtel DTH service and when i called them, things went a bit different...something like this,

Me: Hello..My name is sajan and i would like to know more on the offers and packages available.

Sales Guy: good afternoon sir, my name is rizwan and i will help you out. Are you an airtel customer???

Me: yes i am, as i have a airtel broadband connection of 348kbps DSL.

Salesguy: good. We are offerening a 15% discount for all airtel customers for dth connection. are u in front of the computer????

Me: front of the computer???? why????

Salesguy: Request you to make a online transfer of 1750 now for the connection and after 3 months you will get that 15% discount credited to your account,

Me:??????? hello.......i wanted to know more details on the same not to make a online fund transfer.

Salesguy: i will sms you the account number to which you need to make the transfer after which we shall come and do the installation in 2 hours,

Me: hello....whats the traiffs and packages available???

Salesguy: Request you to first make the payment after which we can discuss the traiffs and etc......

After which i told him that I will get back to him and hung up the call. Looks like airtel are more interested in getting the money than providing information.

Please let me know if BigTV is good or should I go for TATA SKY.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 11:55   #860
Team-BHP Support

Lol, Sajands that was a terrible call. Let me know if you are still interested in Airtel DTH. Will arrange a call for you for the whole thing. Please PM me your details.

PS: I am not an Airtel salesman / distributor etc. NO commercial gains at all. Just that I know people who will be able to help you.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 12:51   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Lol, Sajands that was a terrible call. Let me know if you are still interested in Airtel DTH. Will arrange a call for you for the whole thing. Please PM me your details.

PS: I am not an Airtel salesman / distributor etc. NO commercial gains at all. Just that I know people who will be able to help you.
Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the help. Sent you a PM you with the details.
sajands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2009, 16:27   #862
Senior - BHPian

@sajands:So far,the Experience with BigTV is Good.Picture Quality is Fine(I checked with My 29" CRT TV Only!).
--
There is Some Satellite Issue with BIGTV ?I am getting Rain-disconnected More Often along with Picture Freezing/Audio issues for past 3-4 days.But ,Indeed it is Cloudy ,raining these days.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:17   #863
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got Tata Sky Plus, must say it works brilliantly. It def is worth the current discounted price of 4999(plus 1000 installation)

Also got their normal STB for 2100 including installation for another room for 125Rs per month.

I already have BigTV in my room and somehow I find the picture quality richer on BigTV. Need to get two more connections, was intending to put BigTV to keep a balance in times of disruption.
Does BigTV have a multiroom scheme for 125 too? Hope Big gets dvr stb soon!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 22:02   #864
Senior - BHPian

Urgent-
I need to install a DTH on saturday.
Confused between Tata Sky and Airtel Dth.
Suggestions please?
Old 8th October 2009, 00:27   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Urgent-
I need to install a DTH on saturday.
Confused between Tata Sky and Airtel Dth.
Suggestions please?
In terms of service, both are good. I have both of them. Choose the one which has the best package
sridhar_setty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 02:11   #866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar_setty View Post
In terms of service, both are good. I have both of them. Choose the one which has the best package
price is almost same.
read somewhere airtel has better quality.
is it true?
Old 8th October 2009, 12:31   #867
Team-BHP Support

Cant comment on the quality, but the user interface in airtel is definitely better. But have heard that TS has better processes and movies on demand.
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 13:02   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
@sajands:So far,the Experience with BigTV is Good.Picture Quality is Fine(I checked with My 29" CRT TV Only!).
--
There is Some Satellite Issue with BIGTV ?I am getting Rain-disconnected More Often along with Picture Freezing/Audio issues for past 3-4 days.But ,Indeed it is Cloudy ,raining these days.
It was a problem with STB aka Set Top Box.Got a New STB(Model-3) as replacement.
Since My Subscription is Completing 1 year ,I wondered what will happen if My 1 year Warranty is over?So ,I inquired and for BIG TV ,I will have to Buy a New STB for Rs800!that too No Warranty!.But ,BIG TV Service Centre Claims AMC is starting soon(in a month's time) for Rs350/Year.I think Most DTH Players offer AMC?
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:54   #869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Just got Tata Sky Plus, must say it works brilliantly. It def is worth the current discounted price of 4999(plus 1000 installation)
Once you pause a channel or rewind, How do you bring it back to sync with current ?
manavdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2009, 16:56   #870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
Please let me know if BigTV is good or should I go for TATA SKY.
BigTV ???

I am still trying to recharge for my connection. You call their number and they said you get 16.6% discosunt if opted for 12 months. But the recharge card is available in denominations like Rs.

And when you ry to buy from these guys, all they know is, Around 1400 for 1 year renewal of my plan. But how do I get the discount? Where to? no Idea.

When i try to recharge online with credit card, it gives no option for which plan to select. But just a round off number. Even if I can calculate monthly charges * 12 - 16.6%, the tax portion is unknown.

Their customer care number is just a number, which I guess if phone connection is really to that or not. Everytime you call, you will never get through.

EDIT: Anyone used their USB port in STB?

Last edited by mjothi : 8th October 2009 at 16:58.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote