Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 8th October 2009, 17:08   #871
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Once you pause a channel or rewind, How do you bring it back to sync with current ?
Just press the TV button on the remote.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 21:44   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
price is almost same.
read somewhere airtel has better quality.
is it true?
TSky uses MPEG2 and Airtel uses MPEG4. This is mostly useful for them and not for us as MPEG4 has better compression. Heard that TSky will also move to MPEG4 some time later. But, what will happen to their current STBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Cant comment on the quality, but the user interface in airtel is definitely better. But have heard that TS has better processes and movies on demand.
Yes. Airtel EPG looks better, but is a bit slower than TataSky EPG.
sridhar_setty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 22:46   #873
Team-BHP Support

What about sound? Which one has the best sound amongst Tata sky, airtel and Reliance?
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2009, 23:56   #874
Senior - BHPian

Reliance Model-2 Set Top Box comes with a SPDIF Audio Out.
Component Video Out is Standard for All STB's of Big TV.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 00:41   #875
BHPian

He meant how does sound quality compare among those, having SPDIF does not necessarily mean better quality.
santosh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 02:33   #876
Team-BHP Support

Trust me guys, the one MAJOR advantage of Airtel is WorldSpace radio. None of the other operators have it.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 07:03   #877
BHPian

I have Tatasky and recently purchased SUN Direct for the room. We went for this because we need Aadithya comedy channel which is provided only through SUN Direct.

SUN Direct Pros:
1.Set Top Box comes with Component Video out and SPDIF Dolby Audio Out. Component out provides correct colors & depth, quality is amazing and better than Tatasky.
2. EPG functionalities are good compared to Tata sky and you can add more than 20 favorite channels.
3. STB displays the channel numbers, so I connected the audio out to the Amplifier so that I can listen to radios without switching on the TV and broswe through the channels.
4. In standby mode it displays a digital clock which automatically syncs the time with the satellite. Quite useful in the night if you don't have a LED digital clock and you don't have to set the time again when the STB is switched off and on.

Cons:
1. The installation is not as professional as the Tata sky and the activation takes 1-2 days.
2. The remote looks very cheap and arrangement of keys is not as good as Tata sky.
3. The EPG look & feel is not good, I believe Airtel has the best appearance.
4. Customer care is ok, Tatasky is very good.
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 16:38   #878
Senior - BHPian

Guys I ahve a Universal set top box bought from Dubai. My question is can it be made to work with just any service provider using their card or not? If not then how can it be put to use?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 17:40   #879
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Guys I ahve a Universal set top box bought from Dubai. My question is can it be made to work with just any service provider using their card or not? If not then how can it be put to use?
I don't think it can be used as no provider will give you just the card.
As for how it can be used? Perhaps, as a giant paper weight :P
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:23   #880
Senior - BHPian

Ok but what about free to air channels. Can I just buy a dish and voila it works?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 01:46   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Ok but what about free to air channels. Can I just buy a dish and voila it works?
It should. Head to Lajpat Rai Market for the dish.

Between I always wanted to tell you that I wasnt aware of your ID otherwise wouldnt have created mine, lol.
WanderNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 00:29   #882
BHPian

Cool Highway or MyWay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
So with Hathway analogue for now.

A year later no one from Hathway (reseller actually) came ever to collect any money (both installation one time and monthly rental) from me. I must have owed them INR 3500, but if no one comes what can I do?

Last week they finally cut the connection (without even informing me). So case lost for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glifford View Post
I was also looking at BSNL IPTV. 6 months since I requested for a connection there is no news from them! So with Hathway analogue for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.V.R View Post
IPTV would take some time.
As luck would have it, last month's BSNL bill came in an envelope (for a change, else comes always open). The envelope was sponsored by the new BSNL IPTV Partner. MyWay.

Immediately checked their website: MyWay IPTV Services India and Digital IPTV filled up their web form and also called their call centre.

3 weeks later get a call from the call centre saying a sales guy wants to come over.

I give an appointment, no one comes!

Finally on Friday morning I get a call back again. I say better come today as I am home. After some follow up, he comes and explains (what I had already read on the website). Makes me fill the form and collects a cheque of 1500 (refundable deposit). Installation within a week.

I was interested in buying the STB at 2000, because of the bundled free Universal Remote. But he suggested I try the service for 3 months and only then upgrade.

Offer details are:

3 months free Super Value Pack (worth 280 currently).
Installation Free

The STB is DVR compatible (can connect a HDD via a USB port), but they have not enabled it as yet . Hope they do soon.

This also means I will have to move my ADSL Modem-WiFi Router Combo to the living room near the TV :( They also have a WiFi option (through a dongle on the same USB Port. This is also not enabled .

So with nothing to lose and hoping to get triple-play out of my BSNL Connection (Voice-Data-TV) waiting for the installation. I also was not keen on any satellite based DTH operators running cabling in my apartment. So the already laid surface cables and telephone cables are fine.

Let's see, will update after I get the install done!

Last edited by Glifford : 20th October 2009 at 00:30. Reason: Added a smiley
Glifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 22:29   #883
Distinguished - BHPian

I am contemplating upon buying a DTH Dish/ set top box for my home. Would request feedback from fellow BHPians as to which one should I go for? I have read most of the reviews here and feel Tata Sky is the best. But what about the rainy day problems?
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 23:12   #884
Team-BHP Support

Hey Anjan, what I have gathered from this thread and my personal experience, its a straight fight between Tata & Airtel. Look out for the cheaper option for your favourite channels.

Biggest plus point for Airtel is World Space. I just can't get enough of Radio Farishta when I am home. Also, you may want to check out BIG for their movie collection, in case thats what you are interested in. But have heard horror stories about their customer care so it is a big risk.

PS: If you are buying Airtel, buy online. Its cheaper.

PS2: Stating again, no personal commercial interest at all.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 07:11   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I am contemplating upon buying a DTH Dish/ set top box for my home. Would request feedback from fellow BHPians as to which one should I go for? I have read most of the reviews here and feel Tata Sky is the best. But what about the rainy day problems?
Tata Sky has got least problems with rainy days per my experiance.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote