Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th July 2010, 14:55   #1051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Thanks!
So, does Videocon give any dicscount for your second TV or is it as good as a new connection? I was looking through Airtel.in, and saw that they have some discount packages for the second TV's.
I guess they do. Visit www.d2h.com for details/offers.
LionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 14:49   #1052
BHPian

Any Airtel DTH users here? I want to know if Airtel offers Discovery Turbo in any package. Also, how is the overall user experience with Airtel.
In my new apartment, they allow only Tata Sky or Airtel and I want to know which is better. I would need Malayalam channels for mom and English Movies/Sports/Lifestyle channels for myself.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2010, 16:00   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Any Airtel DTH users here? I want to know if Airtel offers Discovery Turbo in any package. Also, how is the overall user experience with Airtel.
In my new apartment, they allow only Tata Sky or Airtel and I want to know which is better. I would need Malayalam channels for mom and English Movies/Sports/Lifestyle channels for myself.
airtel does not have discovery turbo, the picture quality is better in airtel, but UI is much better in tata sky which is much more costlier .
I have used tata sky for 2 years switched to airtel recently mainly due to cost.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:23   #1054
BHPian

My friend is facing a problem with Airtel DVR.It doesn't allow to play a programme which recorded earlier from a channel, which is now unsuscribed.
ie, if a suscriber have recorded a movie from UTV today , he cannot play the same in future unless his UTV subscription is valid.
Antonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:19   #1055
BHPian

Have had Tata HD for a few days now (since midway FIFA).
The picture and sound quality on the HD channels is outstanding. Esp if you have an LCD & a good HT to pair.

The only gripe is that it doesnt work during the rains. Anything from moderate to heavy rains causes a blackout.
Because of this, i've had to continue my cable wala as well for another couple of months :(
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:37   #1056
BHPian

Quote:
... if Airtel offers Discovery Turbo in any package. ...
DishTV Silver Saver pack along with English Mania a-la-carte would have been ideal for you, but seems you can't have it in your place.
MalluDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:00   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonian View Post
My friend is facing a problem with Airtel DVR.It doesn't allow to play a programme which recorded earlier from a channel, which is now unsuscribed.
ie, if a suscriber have recorded a movie from UTV today , he cannot play the same in future unless his UTV subscription is valid.
For Airtel it may be the intended feature for me, it's a bug

This is my analysis of what could be the reason:

Since the channel in question is a CA (Conditional access) one, it was broadcasted scrambled and it is probably recorded so. And now that the subscription has ended, the CA data (EMM, ECM) that the box receives through the broadcast stream is incapable of decoding the earlier recording which was done while the subscription was active.

Call up the customer care and make a complaint.

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd July 2010 at 11:04.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:40   #1058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
DishTV Silver Saver pack along with English Mania a-la-carte would have been ideal for you, but seems you can't have it in your place.
I use DishTV now but forced am forced to change since I am moving to a different place.
Old 22nd July 2010, 12:52   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use DishTV now but forced am forced to change since I am moving to a different place.
+
How is the DischTV performance so far?
suggestions are that TATA sky is better than Dishtv?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:24   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How can a society decide what provider you should use? Do they have a common building Dish for Airtel & TataSky so that you don't have to get your own Dish? If not, next they may decide that you can park only Maruti cars in the building!!
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 16:01   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
I have Dish in office and TataSky at home. The menu, ease of use and remote of TataSky is much better than Dish.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:12   #1062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+
I haven't used Tata sky so can't compare but heard that its mich expensive than dish tv as per a friend who shifted from tata sky to dish tv.
The customer care of dish tv is horrible to say the least. Other than that, I haven't had much issues. Of late, the remote is not working properly, but I suppose you need to change/upgrade your set top box and remote every 3-4 years. Mine is just about 3 year old set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How can a society decide what provider you should use? Do they have a common building Dish for Airtel & TataSky so that you don't have to get your own Dish? If not, next they may decide that you can park only Maruti cars in the building!!
I know its a stupid rule and have to find out if they have a common dish. The association manager told me that they allow only tata sky and airtel, and thats all I know. I haven't moved into the property yet, so don't know the details.
Old 24th July 2010, 10:21   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I visited nearby DTH shop who is selling Dish tv, sun direct, Airtel,Tata sky
connections. Whilst checking about Airtel and HD services, he said normal rate for
the Airtel is Rs.2490 with 12 months subscription (south super value + 1 south pack)
and thereafter Rs.110 per month. they have have got other tariff also.
However when I asked for HD facility then he said that for that we need to buy a seperate set top box for which the additional cost will be Rs.1250/-

Does this mean that with an ordinary set top box, the HD reception is not available??
Old 24th July 2010, 10:26   #1064
BHPian

yes with a normal (SD) STB HD is not available. Airtel, TATA Sky, SUN & DISH have HD STBs. I would rate TATA Sky high when compared to other providers! sound and reception as well as the customer care of excellent.
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2010, 11:00   #1065
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, what is your opinion about ' Recorder'.
Airtel offer Recorder at Rs.8490 with 12 months subscription of South Ultra Pack (monthly Rs.345) or Rs.5490 with one month subsription.
The Recorder has got variety of features of recording the programmes of the tv and
view it later etc etc. Is this worth?