Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th July 2010, 11:11   #1066
BHPian

well, recorder is good. BigTV, DishTV offers HD recorders. I am not sure about Airtel HD recorder's features.

The main disadvantage of recoders is that, if you want to play-back a recorded program if need to have active subscribtion to that channel. instance, if record uttran on colors today and I would want to playback after 6 months, i would be able to playback the recorded session only if i were still subscribed to colors. If you are willing to wait, get TATA Sky HD recorded which would be launched in 3 months time
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:00   #1067
Senior - BHPian

herewith latest Airtel settop box features and also about their
Recorder.

digital TV HD- High Definition DTH Services from Airtel
What's Airtel digital TV Recorder

+
I have compared Airtel package especially on south pack with Tata Sky and dish Tv and found that Airtel giving more south channels and other
add on channels with less cost.
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 10:42   #1068
Senior - BHPian

I was told that Airtel Recorder is not HD. Airtel has got seperate HD set top box and Recorder Box without HD function?? is this correct.
At the moment only BIG TV has got HD DVR !?
Old 26th July 2010, 10:46   #1069
BHPian

yea, i guess the only HD DVR available in the market is Big TV. look into Saveondish dot com forum, they have several review running on SD & HD providers. Safe bet would be to opt for TATA Sky. Though I pay little extra, I am happy with their service & customer care.
Old 26th July 2010, 11:41   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Yes, MutantX - I have been following the Saveondisch forum also but there are reports that BIG TC HD DVR has got some teething problems and those who bought this device are not 100pct happy. The signal on a HD set box is not there in the DVR.

So what I am planning now is to buy a HD set top box and upgrade to HD DVR once it has become popular!
Old 26th July 2010, 12:29   #1071
BHPian

Another point to note is that, not many HD content is available right now. Discovery and Nat Geo HD have limited HD programs and most of them are just repeats.

In case of SUN HD, they have close to 6 channels on HD which includes, discovery, NAT Geo, Sun TV, colors and Tamil & telegu regional HD channels. Except for Discovery & Nat Geo all the other channel upscale the content.

I had spent 60k on buying a LCD TV, I thought it would be worthwile upgrading to HD, hence I bought it. If it was a normal CRT, i would have retained my cable STB.
Old 26th July 2010, 12:46   #1072
BHPian

^How do you find upscaled content on Dish? is it reall worht and can be considered close to HD display?
I have heard that the upscaled content is even worse with pictures not looking natural (stretched).
Also, you dont get 5.1 sound off those channels.

So far, India is getting only 2 HD channels (true HD and not upscaled). Which is made available by almost all the providers. Rather go with someone who's got other stuff right.

I read somewhere that TS+ HD will take another 3 months. Where do you guys read this timeline? Any more ideas about TS+ HD availability? I have TS (SD) and waiting to upgrade to HD+PVR next.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 12:55   #1073
BHPian

most upscaled conents are bad when compared to native HD. If you are from South India, then Sun HD is VFM, BUT you need to put-up with their bad A.S.S.

As for TATA Sky HD+, there is no date when it would be launched. If you want HD experience make sure you have the right equipment before you get the HD STB.
Old 26th July 2010, 13:00   #1074
BHPian

Thanks,

I've been with TS for about 2-3 years now, I guess I have decent equipments and will be happy with HD+. I guess, I wil wait for TS to come with HD+.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 13:08   #1075
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to get a DTH service for my house and I have shortlisted Tata Sky HD and Airtel HD Dth. I must say that I am inclined towards Airtel due to the lower cost. But, I am in a dilemma over the following points (based on priority). My main priority is HD transmission.

1. Airtel offers one HD channel while Tata Sky offers 2. Is Airtel going to launch Discovery HD channel anytime? Any idea who will launch more HD channels?

When other service providers are providing 2 channels (true HD, not upscaled), why can't Airtel do that?

2. Tata Sky is a bit expensive considering that I have to invest extra on sports channels apart from the base package, while Airtel supposedly provides most channels at a better price. This was a reason I was inclined towards Airtel.

3. I have heard that Airtel discontinued it's free topups and asked the user to pay for them even if they have paid for a year in advance. Has this problem been rectified or is it still on?

4. Picture Quality - I have seen Tata Sky (SD) and I liked the picture quality. I have not seen Airtel PQ as yet, but which is better in terms of picture quality(both SD & HD)?

Btw, I have a plasma tv. I heard that Airtel has its logo on the TV which might be retained on the screen (image retention?), while Tata Sky has a transparent logo. Does this make a difference at all?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 13:42   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I am planning to get a DTH service for my house and I have shortlisted Tata Sky HD and Airtel HD Dth. I must say that I am inclined towards Airtel due to the lower cost. But, I am in a dilemma over the following points (based on priority). My main priority is HD transmission.
@addyhemmige,
How significant is the difference? I checked out these two options last weekend and they quoted Rs 2400 for Airtel HD and Rs 2600 for Tata Sky HD. Is the difference in cost due to the plans you want to opt for?
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 13:53   #1077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
@addyhemmige,
How significant is the difference? I checked out these two options last weekend and they quoted Rs 2400 for Airtel HD and Rs 2600 for Tata Sky HD. Is the difference in cost due to the plans you want to opt for?
The difference was in monthly plans. For eg: I was looking at the South Saver pack at Rs 260 (in Tata Sky) which has almost all south channels and very limited hindi channels and no sports channels. If I take the south jumbo pack, it will cost me 310 per month and again no sports channels. I have to subscribe separately for that. For HD channels I have to pay extra again (after free period)

In Airtel, they are offering almost all south channels + sports (3 channels) + Hindi and english channels at Rs 275 + 1 HD channel (I hope they introduce more channels)

This was the package I was looking at.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:00   #1078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The difference was in monthly plans. For eg: I was looking at the South Saver pack at Rs 260 (in Tata Sky) which has almost all south channels and very limited hindi channels and no sports channels. If I take the south jumbo pack, it will cost me 310 per month and again no sports channels. I have to subscribe separately for that. For HD channels I have to pay extra again (after free period)

In Airtel, they are offering almost all south channels + sports (3 channels) + Hindi and english channels at Rs 275 + 1 HD channel (I hope they introduce more channels)

This was the package I was looking at.
Thanks for clarifying. I am pretty much in the same situation, I want some basic Tamil channels + Sports + English movies. Not sure who gives the best rates for this combo. I would have opted for Sun DTH but for their pathetic customer support.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2010, 14:08   #1079
Senior - BHPian

All DTH service providers are going to come up with more HD channels whenever it is available, otherwise they cannot be in the competition!
Its all depends how much time they take to introduce.
Old 26th July 2010, 16:06   #1080
BHPian

Has anyone noticed an improvement on the sound quality on regular service after the HDs has been introduced.
My airtel sounds a little better on my 29in CRT. Anyone else has similar experiences ?
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote