Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 6th November 2006, 09:08   #121
Team-BHP Support

I belive the IPTv plan has been scraped. This was an initiative by Mukesh Ambani. Reliance communications is now run by Anil ambani.

After the feud amongst the brothers. Anil Ambani scraped the plan.

This is the info i received from my cousin who works at Reliance Communications.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 15:54   #122
BHPian

Hi guys,

Have had Tata Sky for the past two months. The picture and the sound quality has been very good.

One of the good features is the ACTVE sports. I find even in tata sky the combo of ESPN/Star sports and ACTVE sports is better than Sony/ SET with ACTVE sports.

The kids are loving the games.

Ciao
lsjey
lsjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 19:26   #123
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep tatasky is good, i just got two more STBs... bye bye cable wallah frm my house
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 19:53   #124
Senior - BHPian

Hey,

Can anyone tell me which is best "Direct-To-Home television in India" ? Also please provide some more info about tatasky like monthly subscription charges, no. of channels etc etc...

Thanks.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 20:08   #125
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Hey abhibh i just got TataSKY installed post diwali, initially i was going in for a DishTV but due to their lack of dealers + callcenter support i chose tatasky.

Tatasky

STB + 1yr warranty + installation + 3months subscription

= Rs 2999 + Rs 1000 + Rs 550.

for the 2nd TV and onwards the installation is Rs500 rest is the same.
Monthly subscription post the initial 3months is Rs200 and u get 106 channel at the moment.

Dishtv might run upto be slightly cheaper but it has more channels around 180 but the dealers and customer support was crappy so i ended up with TataSKY.
aZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2006, 10:55   #126
BHPian

Default Got Tata Sky

Got Tata Sky connection on Sunday..( bought at viveks , jayanagar)

Cost :
set top box - Rs. 2999 + Installation 500 + Monthly charges for next 83 days, 500, total 4000.

Installation was very professional and punctual.. picture and sound quality is very good..( quite a leap from the grainy pictures , courtesy my earlier cable guy )
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 18:36   #127
BHPian

Quote:
The competition in the DTH segment seems to be getting intense. Zee group, the media conglomerate, has decided to slash the prices of its DTH services (Dish TV) as much as 49%, from Rs 2,950 to Rs 1,500 (inclusive of Rs 200 installation charges). The move is likely to fuel competition in the segment as rival Tata Sky, (Dish TV's competitor) will also have to resort to price slashing to prevent erosion in market share. Moreover, at the price of Rs 1,500 the offers seems to be attractively priced in comparison to the local cable connection with the added advantage of a better viewing experience. The move will also increase the subscriber base of the Dish TV in general and DTH segment in the country in particular. The benefits of the same will not only accrue to the service providers but also content providers, as increased transparency in subscriber numbers will provide them with a better bargaining power with advertisers.
I got this from a google group. Not very sure about it though...
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2006, 13:20   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Off-Topic...

Why we are not getting the free TV channels of foreign countries with the help of our normal Dish Antenna in India ? Is it blocked by the Govt ?
you can get FTA channels of foriegn countries too but for that you need to have multiple dish antennas or multiple LNBs. A remote controlled dish antenna is available in foreign countries which can be turned using the remote to various direction to recieve signals from other satellites too.

the current Dish/tatasky transmission are through KU-Band transponders while most of the FTA channels are through C-band. In that case you need a seperate dish antenna too to recieve such transmissions.

If you tune your Dish TV for more channels from it's current position i,e 93 deg E you will end up getting one chinese channel which is of no use.
rapideffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 18:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

Tata Sky box is lieing at home waiting to be installed. I bought it yesterday and the dealer (small tv repair shop, my next door) promised to get the installation done yesterday itself. But the installer reached my home only after i reached my office today. I rescheduled the installation till tomorrow.

I hate waiting with excitement. The Tata Sky customer care are professional but my problem was due to the wrong promises by the dealerand the installer who called me today morning was unprofessional. He doesn't event want to do concealed cabling.

One of my major issues is absence of Sun Network. Their channels air the latest telugu movies. One way i am lucky as my M-in-law's favouriate telugu soaps won't disturb me any more when she is visiting us.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 12:54   #130
Senior - BHPian

Got the thing installed and it's amazing. Can't stop watching tv. Only hitch is i can't use my TV's PIP anymore. PIP helps sometime to catchup with another channel during ad time.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:18   #131

I'm using DishTV since September. The picture and sound quality is very good compared to my earlier cable connection. But if I had to choose again I would go with Tata Sky. The Dish TV delear network and customer support are absolutely horrible.
cmoraes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 14:59   #132
Senior - BHPian

I have been hearing a few things in the last few days. is there a proposal to do away with channel bouquets & let us choose only the channels we want to pay for & watch. i heard the TRAI has mooted this & said that it will enforce this. anyone knows more about that ??
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 15:04   #133
BHPian

Any news about TataSky slashing prices and coming close to DishTV's 1500/- price.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2006, 20:18   #134
Team-BHP Support

todays papers have something about tata skys installation prices.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:20   #135
BHPian

Airtel has ip tv in Beta in Gurgaon and is coming fith the full service in delhi by end of Jan
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote