Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd November 2009, 14:25   #691
BHPian

Guys, Need your thoughts and inputs.

I am planning to gift PS3 for my son for this christmas. Apart from the console itlsef [INR 12000 Approx ], Can you kindly let me know what all I need to buy for the console to be played. And what will be the approx cost of the games ? Can we burn the games on anything ?

Expecting to hear from you at the earliest
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:38   #692
BHPian

@lambuhere, you should not need anything other than a game disk to use the console. And a TV of course, preferably with an HDMI input. XBox360 games cost between 2200- 2500/- so PS3 games would also cost about the same, I guess. I do not know of any way to play ripped (backup) games on the new gen consoles, without going in for a mod (soft/ hard). Let me know if you find a way
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 14:52   #693
Senior - BHPian

@lambuhere: other than the console all you need to buy is game disks which cost between 2000-3000. For the ps3 you need to buy only original games as it cannot be modded/cracked YET. Xbox 360 can easily be cracked.

EDIT: If your son plans to play with friends you will need an extra controller. About 3k i think.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:08   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

I am planning to gift PS3 for my son for this christmas. Apart from the console itlsef [INR 12000 Approx ], Can you kindly let me know what all I need to buy for the console to be played. And what will be the approx cost of the games ? Can we burn the games on anything ?

Where are you getting it for 12k's. I got mine a week back for 17k's from ebay with two platinum free games - Gran Turismo 5 and The Unchartered.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:19   #695
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

I too own a PS3 and it hasnt gotten that cheap yet.

I think its about 18k-20k range. I bought it 2 years ago at 22K when i got it from US.

Games are darn expensive. They start anywhere between Rs.2400 to Rs.3000 each.

And, there is no such thing as burning/downloading/copying for PS3. Unfortunately, You'll need to spend money to enjoy it
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 15:44   #696
Senior - BHPian

I bought an XBOX 360 with 40 GB hard disk in November 2007 for Rs.19,800 from Palika Bazar in New Delhi. It was without bill. Its running perfectly fine till now.
The PS3 runs only blue ray discs which itself cost abour 1k each so even if one copy the cd and sell it, it will cost about Rs.12-1300 each. So people prefer buying original for about 2k each.

Still got to buy NFS shift. Hopefully next weekend. .

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd November 2009 at 17:15. Reason: Post edited.Lets not talk about piracy on the forum. Thanks.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2009, 16:58   #697
BHPian

Smile

PS3 games are getting cheaper all the time and they cost the same as they do in US. I don't think we should support piracy - that just screws the market and things are locked and region coded, etc. The PS3 is unlocked for games - you can just buy games from your international trips or tell others to get them - then again after dollar conversion you end up spending the same in INR anyway if you bought it locally.
Also its possible to download from the PS store - you can then back it up incase your PS3 crashes and restore the same. Downloading is cheaper, but you need the bandwidth and also the game is restricted to only one console

Xbox 360 was my first console - I bought it in singapore and ordered original games from playasia website - this is legal option as compared to buying pirated copies.

MODS - I think as a public forum we should not be talking about piracy options here
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:25   #698
BHPian

@jassi, none of us supports piracy, and IIRC, TBHP does NOT allow any talk about it. Just trying to clear the picture for lambuhere, is all. And backing up games is important, just in case one damages the original disc. You wouldn't want to shell out 3k for the same again now, will you?
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 12:54   #699
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
@jassi, none of us supports piracy, and IIRC, TBHP does NOT allow any talk about it. Just trying to clear the picture for lambuhere, is all. And backing up games is important, just in case one damages the original disc. You wouldn't want to shell out 3k for the same again now, will you?
my rant was just a reminder, as we had some information being mentioned here on getting pirated games.

As far as backup goes, I have explained in my previous post how downloaded games can be backed up. But backing up the complete bluray disc (50gb) you buy will cost you a lot in terms of storage space. Makes sense to just backup and restore the game statistics and then get a new game disc if your existing disc is screwed.

Keep in mind this is not like backing up a bluray movie where-in you can convert to h.264+ac3 10gb file for a 1080p movie
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:19   #700
Senior - BHPian

Is there any hack for PS3 yet?
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:17   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
@lambuhere, you should not need anything other than a game disk to use the console. And a TV of course, preferably with an HDMI input. XBox360 games cost between 2200- 2500/- so PS3 games would also cost about the same, I guess. I do not know of any way to play ripped (backup) games on the new gen consoles, without going in for a mod (soft/ hard). Let me know if you find a way
Definitely Honey, will keep you posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
@lambuhere: other than the console all you need to buy is game disks which cost between 2000-3000. For the ps3 you need to buy only original games as it cannot be modded/cracked YET. Xbox 360 can easily be cracked.

EDIT: If your son plans to play with friends you will need an extra controller. About 3k i think.
Games are too costly . Damn man

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Where are you getting it for 12k's. I got mine a week back for 17k's from ebay with two platinum free games - Gran Turismo 5 and The Unchartered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I too own a PS3 and it hasnt gotten that cheap yet.

I think its about 18k-20k range. I bought it 2 years ago at 22K when i got it from US.

Games are darn expensive. They start anywhere between Rs.2400 to Rs.3000 each.

And, there is no such thing as burning/downloading/copying for PS3. Unfortunately, You'll need to spend money to enjoy it
I am picking it from a friend of mine who doesnt want to use it. Got it recently. Love you guys

Will keep you all posted for the same
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2009, 19:43   #702
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs down PS3 controller, bluetooth issue

Yesterday I put on my PS3 and the controllers didn't sync wirelessly with the console. I attached the USB cable to pair them again with the bluetooth module with no luck. They work when tethered but lose the connection when unattached.

I did an internet search and was surprised to find that it is a very common problem. I tried all the workarounds people had mentioned but nothing worked. I have come to the conclusion that the bluetooth chip has failed in just over a year since purchase.

I called Sony and they asked me to take it to their service center. They also said on the phone that they dont do hardware repairs in India and so if you're unlucky enough to have a hardware failure, the best they can do is offer you a discount on a new PS3!

This, in my opinion, is bizarre. Sony in India sells the PS3 with the standard 1-year warranty they offer elsewhere. Only difference is that in the US, Canada etc. you have the option of paying for repairs after warranty expiry. In India, you dont. So shouldn't Sony give a longer warranty period?

What happens tomorrow when the blu-ray lens packs up - a very common occurence in our dusty conditions? Junk the console? I as a customer am willing to pay for repairs but the company doesnt offer any! Things like cleaning/changing the lens and replacing the bluetooth module are minor repairs. The web is full of videos on how to do it. I can buy a PS3 bluetooth board for $20 off eBay.

Worse comes to worst, I will do it myself but Sony's attitude towards Indian customers of the PS3 is shocking. Why sell a product that you can't support? Potential buyers of the PS3 be aware that you're on your own after the meagre 1-year warranty expires.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 08:25   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Yesterday I put on my PS3 and the controllers didn't sync wirelessly with the console. I attached the USB cable to pair them again with the bluetooth module with no luck. They work when tethered but lose the connection when unattached.

I did an internet search and was surprised to find that it is a very common problem. I tried all the workarounds people had mentioned but nothing worked. I have come to the conclusion that the bluetooth chip has failed in just over a year since purchase.

I called Sony and they asked me to take it to their service center. They also said on the phone that they dont do hardware repairs in India and so if you're unlucky enough to have a hardware failure, the best they can do is offer you a discount on a new PS3!

This, in my opinion, is bizarre. Sony in India sells the PS3 with the standard 1-year warranty they offer elsewhere. Only difference is that in the US, Canada etc. you have the option of paying for repairs after warranty expiry. In India, you dont. So shouldn't Sony give a longer warranty period?

What happens tomorrow when the blu-ray lens packs up - a very common occurence in our dusty conditions? Junk the console? I as a customer am willing to pay for repairs but the company doesnt offer any! Things like cleaning/changing the lens and replacing the bluetooth module are minor repairs. The web is full of videos on how to do it. I can buy a PS3 bluetooth board for $20 off eBay.

Worse comes to worst, I will do it myself but Sony's attitude towards Indian customers of the PS3 is shocking. Why sell a product that you can't support? Potential buyers of the PS3 be aware that you're on your own after the meagre 1-year warranty expires.
This is shocking. I hope nothing goes wrong with mine.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2009, 09:13   #704
BHPian

wow I didn't know Sony had it so bad for us PS3ers.
By the way, I have an xbox in the house, and MS replaced the whole xbox when the dvd drive failed - but this was only because it was a mass recall on those models - otherwise MS also doesn't seem to offer much in terms of hardware repair if you are out of warranty!
I think they are only equipped for console replacements and not repairs!
Old 6th November 2009, 10:55   #705
Senior - BHPian

I have got Nintendo wii and very happy with its performance and the kids like the games that it has. Great buy.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote