Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th January 2010, 16:32   #751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
No you dont need the remote. It can play media off any usb drives and it playes most of the popular (downloaded) formats work fine. I suggest just use a drive to copy content. Taking the whole unit seems like a bit much dont you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponmayilal View Post
My Seagate 320GB Seagate FreeAgent Go Portable HDD (in which I have all my media files including some Divx) was not recognised by my PS3 Slim 250GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
AFAIK you can not attach more then 32GB device to USB port ( FAT 32) the restriction is built in because each file can not be more then 4GB and thus the HD content pircay can be protected this is inline with various tactics of HDCP folks so if your avi/dvix is more then 4Gb you can not fit it on FAT32 File system and thus can not play from USB.

Regarding your other query using the 250 GB hard disk. there are two methods. Somehow if you can create a network share on it ( using Linux should be possible) or just take out the HDD put it in a PC or external enclosure and dump data.
Thanks guys for your feedback.

Exactly my problem. I was also looking to buy

FreeAgent Theater+ HD Media Player | Seagate

OR

WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBAAN0000NBK )

Since i thought that the PS3 will solve my problem of not buying a separate Media player, i was happy. But i will have to buy one separately maybe. I have just bought a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Go Portable 2.5"er and it fits neatly into the Seagate Media Player.

But as said here, if i format the HDD to FAT 32 it may work so lets see. Also Quickdraw i meant that instead of taking the HDD out and carrying it to office, i could just transfer files via the USB port of the PS3 console from my loaded internal 2TB HDD at office, can't i? Also having a proper BD Remote as the one i saw in Croma would be really cool.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 13:22   #752
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK you can not attach more then 32GB device to USB port ( FAT 32)
Yes you can. I got a 320GB seagate portable working with my PS3.

Quote:
the restriction is built in because each file can not be more then 4GB and thus the HD content pircay can be protected this is inline with various tactics of HDCP folks so if your avi/dvix is more then 4Gb you can not fit it on FAT32 File system and thus can not play from USB.
Correct each of your files on the FAT32 partition should not be more than 4GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
But as said here, if i format the HDD to FAT 32 it may work so lets see.
There is no quesiton of "maybe". It HAS to work. I got a 320 GB working and I play all my media files from it. (I partitioned it into two drives 160GB NTFS and 160GB FAT32 for the PS3).
surd_biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 01:41   #753
BHPian

Smile

Quote:

Since i thought that the PS3 will solve my problem of not buying a separate Media player, i was happy. But i will have to buy one separately maybe. I have just bought a Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Go Portable 2.5"er and it fits neatly into the Seagate Media Player.

But as said here, if i format the HDD to FAT 32 it may work so lets see. Also Quickdraw i meant that instead of taking the HDD out and carrying it to office, i could just transfer files via the USB port of the PS3 console from my loaded internal 2TB HDD at office, can't i? Also having a proper BD Remote as the one i saw in Croma would be really cool.
you don't need any media player if you have a PS3 - and as far as size of hdd, I have a 500gb hdd formatted in fat32 and working with PS3. I can format any hdd of any size in fat32 and PS3 will recognise it. Also you can install a free software like tversity on your PC and stream videos, photos, music of any format to your ps3.
As a media player, I would rate the PS3 way up there - one of the best bluray players (gets the latest BD feature updates before most others) and great for playing media files from local drive, an attached fat32 drive or from the network (eg. tversity). And you can get a fantastic gaming experience on it!
Don't waste your money on lame media players if you have a PS3. The only media player i would recommend above a PS3, is an hdmi enabled computer powerful enough to play 1080p content. And that power now comes in a basic 399usd netbook - there are only 3-4 such hdmi netbooks on the market, and they are powered by nvidia ion chipset - i own one of em by HP (mini 311) and there is one by samsung for sure.

Last edited by jassi : 17th January 2010 at 01:45.
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 08:50   #754
Senior - BHPian

The desicion is actually pretty simple, If you want a console for pure gaming then you should definitely go for the xbox 360 it has got definitely more games and xbox360 live is simply superb. But if you want to use the console as a media player also then you will have to go for the ps3.
I have a ps3 and im in love wth it but have to admit that the games that come with the xbox are unbeatable.
arjunrudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2010, 10:04   #755
BHPian

I had no problems in choosing between Xbox and PS3. From day one when PS3 was released, it was on my wish list for its BD Player and media center capability. I was only biding time for the HDDVD vs Bluray war to get over. Lost no time to grab one when Slim PS3 was released.for Slim PS3. As you said rightly, the choice is between Games and AV.
Ponmayilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 09:52   #756
BHPian

Got my PS3 yesterday at 5pm. Bought it from Croma, the 250GB one with Uncharted 2 Bundle. Slept at 2am, Man is it addictive or what! Also tried out the Whole Media experience, connected it to my Home Theater's Yamaha 5.1 Amp. Switched to Dolby Pro Logic II, Man what do i say, it was just out of this world!!! Plays divx, mov, mkv, avi files, i'm rubbing my hands in glee!!!!

Its a Gaming cum Media Device rolled into one. Have order the extra Controller & BD Remote on Amazon and will get it delivered to my friend who's coming in a fortnight.

**EDIT**
Sorry in my excitement i forgot to give a big thank you to ye all for your advice.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 21st January 2010 at 09:54. Reason: thanks
Old 21st January 2010, 10:04   #757
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Got my PS3 yesterday at 5pm. Bought it from Croma, the 250GB one with Uncharted 2 Bundle. Slept at 2am, Man is it addictive or what! Also tried out the Whole Media experience, connected it to my Home Theater's Yamaha 5.1 Amp. Switched to Dolby Pro Logic II, Man what do i say, it was just out of this world!!! Plays divx, mov, mkv, avi files, i'm rubbing my hands in glee!!!!
congrats !! and welcome to the PS3 club - make sure you get GT5 prologue
one doubt - are you sure about mkv files - i use mkv2vob to convert mkv to m2ts or vob to play on ps3!
Old 21st January 2010, 10:18   #758
BHPian

Congrats, anil. Yet another addition to the growing clientele of PS3. (BTW, I thought you already had it and that is why you were in such a hurry to transfer media files to it.)

I am now streaming media from my Windows 7 PC which is working fine for all mp3 files and divX files and photos. However individual .VOB files are shown as unsupported in the PS3, while my ripped DVD folders do not appear at all. And now working on it. ( I am not in favour of any memory-hogging server programs like tversity or PS3 server)
Old 21st January 2010, 10:24   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
congrats !! and welcome to the PS3 club - make sure you get GT5 prologue
one doubt - are you sure about mkv files - i use mkv2vob to convert mkv to m2ts or vob to play on ps3!
Thanks dude. I have the theatrical trailer of Avatar in mkv format, i will try it today. I tried avi, mpg and mp4, all worked fine. The sales guy at Croma told me mkv works to, so i will try it.

@ponmayilal
Thanks. Will try streaming too, my hands are full with work at present, yesterday was my weekly holiday so maybe next Wednesday.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 21st January 2010 at 10:26.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:35   #760
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Thanks dude. I have the theatrical trailer of Avatar in mkv format, i will try it today. I tried avi, mpg and mp4, all worked fine. The sales guy at Croma told me mkv works to, so i will try it.
re-checked - there is no support for mkv even with latest firmware. You will need mkv2vob - Video software and downloads - VideoHelp.com

Croma guys haha - don't ever listen to them dude - croma is a place to check out latest models of TVs etc but certainly not a place where sales guys are to be believed and things bought - they have the worst knowledge of what they are selling and a lot of times just pass the display piece onto unsuspecting customers!
Old 12th February 2010, 17:59   #761
BHPian

Default 3 D Gaming

PS3 owners rejoice!

Sony is prepping up to bring 3D-stereoscopic gaming for PlayStation 3 this summer. The company has confirmed that PlayStation 3 will get stereoscopic 3D enabling firmware update later this summer, Pocket-lint. Apart from that, Sony also spoke about an app store for and the console's capacity to hold 1TB storage.

Source: http: //www.techtree.com/India/News/3D_Update_for_Sony_PlayStation_3_Soon/551-109273-585.html
Old 15th February 2010, 10:09   #762
BANNED

xbox360 how is it, can we play local dvd games in it
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 02:22   #763
BHPian

according to me the playstation 3 rocks....as compared to xbox 360 and after that i think its the PC......playstation is very user friendly and i think it can do more things than a xbox 360......
danny2599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2010, 23:44   #764
Team-BHP Support

Guys we just got Rock Band for the PS3. The selection of songs is rather limited especially for my 7 year old son. Being in India I cannot log into the Playstation Network so how do I download more songs for the PS3.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 10:45   #765
BHPian

@Navin, I have the same conundrum with GH5 for the 360. I haven't found any other way, except for logging on to LIVE. If you find an alternate way, please do let us know as well.
anurag_p80 is offline   Reply With Quote