Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 09:36   #931
BHPian
 
amitw79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 124
Thanked: 114 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzzledMoose View Post
get a 1500VA APC ups. Thats the best for your setup.
PS3 will suck in power when game graphic goes up. 625VA cannot simply hold all the three together
Thanks for the reply MuzzledMoose!

I tried to use only PS3 with UPS. The red power off light of PS3 is glowing, however as soon as the UPS is going to backup mode, the PS3 switches off. Nothing else is connected to UPS except PS3.

But if I connect by 32" LCD and tata sky+ box to the UPS (leaving out PS3), the UPS works just fine and give backup for about 5 mins which is enough for me.
amitw79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 11:00   #932
BHPian
 
MuzzledMoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: THRISSUR
Posts: 190
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

what is the model of your PS3 and power rating of the same?
Older consoles are power hungry and sometimes the startup current may not be sufficient from the UPS.
Does the UPS also sound overload or trip?
A 500VA ~ 625VA ups cannot take more than 200W load in practice.
Also INDIAN BRAND ups will have slightly lesser rating in practice than what they advertise.
I would strongly recommend 1500VA or more.
But before that please take the PS3 along with you and check before buying the UPS to power it for safety of our pockets.

Last edited by MuzzledMoose : 11th August 2011 at 11:08.
MuzzledMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 14:02   #933
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Beware After 1 Yr Of Ps3 Ownership - You're On Your Own

Once earlier on this thread I had posted my experience with Sony India and PS3 repair. My 40gb fat had stopped working and Sony said they don't repair the PS3 in India - "we don't even open it," they said. The machine's India warranty had expired and so they offered me a discount on a new one and that's it. That was unacceptable. I did not want a new one, just wanted the old one to be repaired and was willing to pay whatever (within reason) they asked. But Sony would not fix it and I wouldn't budge. I argued for months with Sony and finally they gave me a new 120gb slim as a replacement for free. You'd think I'd be happy but it left me with a very bad experience of Sony.

This time, just after the warranty on the slim expired my 3-year old son shoved a toothpick into the blu-ray drive, which obviously stopped working. I called Sony India and their policy is the same- the PS3 is not repaired in India. I thought of arguing with them again but given my last experience, I just wasn't in the mood to go through with it again. On the net I saw a number of videos on how to open the slim and blu-ray drive. I needed some special screwdrivers, which I ordered from eBay. This Sunday, I took a deep breath and opened it up myself. Removed the hard drive, took off the cover, undid the wires and cables, removed the power supply, took out the blu-ray drive, opened its case and extracted the toothpick. Carefully put it all back together again. And it worked!

This experience made me think of a few things. If I can do it, why can't Sony India? In the U.S. they charge $200 to fix PS3s - In India we don't even have exorbitant repair as an option. If there is no official repair from Sony India, how can they get away with giving the standard one-year warranty as they do in other countries, where repair is available? In India the warranty should be adequately long (3 years maybe) to cover a product that they can't fix. On youtube, I discovered that the PS3 in the front has special security screws to prevent it from being opened. Since Sony India expects customers to become technicians and open the PS3 by themselves these shouldn't be used on PS3s sold in India.

The penny wise, pound foolish implications of this bizarre after-sales policy of Sony India surprises me. Suppose the PS3 was in warranty and the same incident occurred. If I took it to Sony India and didn't tell them what caused the problem but just that the drive is rejecting discs, they'd replace it since they wouldn't open it and wouldn't know what the problem was. So in place of earning 2,000 - 3,000 rupees for repair (at the most) they'd lose 17,000 rupees on gifting me a new console??!? Stunning stupidity to say the least.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 23:16   #934
BHPian
 
speedfreak01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: new delhi
Posts: 97
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Ps3 owners - I'm thinking of getting either a copy of Gran Turismo 5 or NFS Run...which one should I get?
speedfreak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 16:00   #935
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 854
Thanked: 993 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Ps3 owners - I'm thinking of getting either a copy of Gran Turismo 5 or NFS Run...which one should I get?
GT5 any day! Every other racing game (simulation) pales in comparison.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 16:18   #936
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,549
Thanked: 766 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Really loving my xbox. Integration of media from my PC is really so easy. Although the wireless connection for my HD movies is less satisfactory.

Only thing is that the DVDs played are confined to our region only. I had to connect back my DVD player.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 22:48   #937
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Beware After 1 Yr Of Ps3 Ownership - You're On Your Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Once earlier ... stupidity to say the least.
StarScream, I wouldreally appreciate some help here. What special screwdrivers did you need to open the PS3? I need my les cleaned and am not willing to swap my beautiful old (fat) PS3 for a crappy slim version (posted here (Help required for PS3 - Blinking red light & lens cleaning)). I'm planning to open it up and clean it myself this weekend (hopefully). Any help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 23:07   #938
BHPian
 
guyfrmblr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 940
Thanked: 1,920 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak01 View Post
Ps3 owners - I'm thinking of getting either a copy of Gran Turismo 5 or NFS Run...which one should I get?
GT5. Its for true car enthusiasts. You can drive highly detailed real world cars which gives you a sense of satisfaction. Remove all driving assists and you can feel the actual performance of these cars. The lengthy career mode keeps you busy for months together.

Go for NFS only if you want to drive crazily across streets racing with opponents and evading cops. You'll come across quite a number of highly detailed cars in this game too but you'll never feel that satisfaction which you get in GT5.

You can also try Dirt 3 if you are interested in rally. It has very accurate controls. You can control the car the exact way you want. It also features gymkhana events where you perform some stunts which you'll definitely like once used to it.

GT5 is the only racing game that has kept me busy from past 8-9 months. All other racing titles are biting dust in my cupboard.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 16th November 2011 at 23:16.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 03:59   #939
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

I am confused which one to buy.

Xbox 360 has good online gaming as well as N support for wifi while for everything else ps3 is superior. Price wise both are almost the same since Black Friday is coming. PS3 is $200 for 160gb. while xbox is $200 with $50 gift card.

Don't know which one to pick up.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by chevelle : 17th November 2011 at 04:07.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 09:01   #940
BHPian
 
Jeeper1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 229
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am confused which one to buy.

Xbox 360 has good online gaming as well as N support for wifi while for everything else ps3 is superior. Price wise both are almost the same since Black Friday is coming. PS3 is $200 for 160gb. while xbox is $200 with $50 gift card.

Don't know which one to pick up.

Any suggestions?
Get the XBOX, the game selection is excellent, and customer service is really good. I have the Gears of War Limited Edition XBOX 360 and I love it (actually bought it in the States as it was $100 cheaper than buying it here in Oz).

You can buy blu-ray players now for about $80-$100 and personally, I would never use my gaming console to show movies, why wear it out on movies? Between the two consoles, to me the XBOX 360 has it in all areas over the PS3, to me it seems smoother graphically than the PS3 plus I totally loathe the PS3 hand cramping controllers. The Xbox has always had the superior controller and now with Kinetic it is a clear winner.
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 11:08   #941
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Get the XBOX, the game selection is excellent, and customer service is really good. I have the Gears of War Limited Edition XBOX 360 and I love it (actually bought it in the States as it was $100 cheaper than buying it here in Oz).

You can buy blu-ray players now for about $80-$100 and personally, I would never use my gaming console to show movies, why wear it out on movies? Between the two consoles, to me the XBOX 360 has it in all areas over the PS3, to me it seems smoother graphically than the PS3 plus I totally loathe the PS3 hand cramping controllers. The Xbox has always had the superior controller and now with Kinetic it is a clear winner.
I was looking at some games that i would love to play when i get either and i found both are good in that department. They are priced equal for now, but ps3 has two games bundled while xbox has 1 and gives $50 gift card.

If they give blu-ray player by default, why spend $100 extra? In that case xbox price increases. I haven't played PS3 to compare but i found xbox graphics nothing exceptional. Will take your word on controller as i haven't used both back to back. How is Move compared to Kinect?

You have any experience with both's online gaming?

It seems i have read similar statement somewhere on other forum or website. Don't remember where. Is it you who posted it elsewhere and copied it here?
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 12:18   #942
BHPian
 
Jeeper1941's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 229
Thanked: 353 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I was looking at some games that i would love to play when i get either and i found both are good in that department. They are priced equal for now, but ps3 has two games bundled while xbox has 1 and gives $50 gift card.

If they give blu-ray player by default, why spend $100 extra? In that case xbox price increases. I haven't played PS3 to compare but i found xbox graphics nothing exceptional. Will take your word on controller as i haven't used both back to back. How is Move compared to Kinect?

You have any experience with both's online gaming?

It seems i have read similar statement somewhere on other forum or website. Don't remember where. Is it you who posted it elsewhere and copied it here?
Yeah..it was me

It was on one of the C-net articles, long ago. I have had the original Xbox and upgraded to Xbox 360 about 6 months ago. I have played a PS3 but somehow the graphics on the xbox seemed better. I dunno, but I wouldn't buy a PS3 because it has a blu-ray player, but if you're going to use it for movies, then why not, might as well go for it as the xbox has no blu-ray (it still has HD-DVD, but no one sells HD-DVDs anymore!).

Remember though..PS3 games tend to be more expensive than xbox games (compare the new COD MW3 for xbox and PS3: $48.99 for the xbox version and $59.99 for PS3 on Amazon). I have seen a similar trend for games so that might be an issue if you're planning on keeping the machines for a long time.
Jeeper1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 22:26   #943
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Yeah..it was me

It was on one of the C-net articles, long ago. I have had the original Xbox and upgraded to Xbox 360 about 6 months ago. I have played a PS3 but somehow the graphics on the xbox seemed better. I dunno, but I wouldn't buy a PS3 because it has a blu-ray player, but if you're going to use it for movies, then why not, might as well go for it as the xbox has no blu-ray (it still has HD-DVD, but no one sells HD-DVDs anymore!).

Remember though..PS3 games tend to be more expensive than xbox games (compare the new COD MW3 for xbox and PS3: $48.99 for the xbox version and $59.99 for PS3 on Amazon). I have seen a similar trend for games so that might be an issue if you're planning on keeping the machines for a long time.
I need to go to a store and see both side by side for graphics. I was just saying that if it includes blu-ray player, which is a must now a days, it is really good on sony's part. MS missed that opportunity.

Games are mostly priced at par. Like here, COD MW3 is $52.49 for xbox on amazon and $56 for ps3. XBox takes $4 shipping so it is more or less the same price. As such i doubt i will buy new ones. Mostly will go the pre-owned route from Game Stop or craigslist. That way i make sure i pay less. So games are not a worry.

I got 5 days to decide which one to pick up. Black Friday approaching soon. Have to put a tent outside on that day for doorbuster deal.

Also what bothers me is audio and video support. IIRC, Xbox doesn't support 5.1 or 7.1 and Xbox only has support upto 720p while ps3 has 5.1 and 7.1 and support upto 1080p.

I was just analyzing and i seem to lean more towards ps3.

Last edited by chevelle : 17th November 2011 at 22:29.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 23:29   #944
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle

I need to go to a store and see both side by side for graphics. I was just saying that if it includes blu-ray player, which is a must now a days, it is really good on sony's part. MS missed that opportunity.

Games are mostly priced at par. Like here, COD MW3 is $52.49 for xbox on amazon and $56 for ps3. XBox takes $4 shipping so it is more or less the same price. As such i doubt i will buy new ones. Mostly will go the pre-owned route from Game Stop or craigslist. That way i make sure i pay less. So games are not a worry.

I got 5 days to decide which one to pick up. Black Friday approaching soon. Have to put a tent outside on that day for doorbuster deal.

Also what bothers me is audio and video support. IIRC, Xbox doesn't support 5.1 or 7.1 and Xbox only has support upto 720p while ps3 has 5.1 and 7.1 and support upto 1080p.

I was just analyzing and i seem to lean more towards ps3.

I have a 360 and a ps3. Go buy a ps3. Period.

The 360 is lying dead in my house with some unknown hardware failiure. And its a 360 s, not the old fat one. But my ps3 is the fat one. 360 is more prone to hardware failiure.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:56   #945
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,058
Thanked: 486 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

I have a problem with my PS3. Everytime I play Uncharted 2, it shuts down after a few minutes of gameplay and the red light starts blinking. I dont have any problem with any other games or movies. And now, when it starts, sometimes it starts blinking even before the system is completely on.

Has anybody faced this problem?
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaming Consoles - the best ? normally_crazy Shifting gears 36 20th October 2012 19:22
Xbox 360 Elite gone!! MY new Bluray toy!!! nitroxx Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 29th February 2008 06:12
Xbox 360 Game trade R32_GTR Shifting gears 4 12th December 2007 04:18
XBox 360 chaxy Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 26th November 2005 15:23
xbox 360 - spec details gkrishn Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 28th May 2005 01:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks