Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 12:27   #946
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_
I have a problem with my PS3. Everytime I play Uncharted 2, it shuts down after a few minutes of gameplay and the red light starts blinking. I dont have any problem with any other games or movies. And now, when it starts, sometimes it starts blinking even before the system is completely on.

Has anybody faced this problem?
Its probably an issue with the CD in this case.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 13:09   #947
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: Beware After 1 Yr Of Ps3 Ownership - You're On Your Own

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
StarScream, I wouldreally appreciate some help here. What special screwdrivers did you need to open the PS3? I need my les cleaned and am not willing to swap my beautiful old (fat) PS3 for a crappy slim version (posted here (Help required for PS3 - Blinking red light & lens cleaning)). I'm planning to open it up and clean it myself this weekend (hopefully). Any help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.
NIP, the difficult screws are the ones in front, under the lip that has the eject/power buttons. They are Torx T8 security screws and you'll need a screw driver for that specific type of screw. Torx screws are flat star pattern screws of different sizes (T2, T3 etc.). The security ones have a raised bump in the middle that prevents a regular T8 screw driver from getting a grip and therefore opening it. Now, that I realized after I had bought my screwdriver set. Luckily, a smaller size flat screwdriver (the type used to fix spectacles) works as well by getting just enough of a hold. That is how I opened my PS3. Since I'd bought a screwdriver set, I had the option to try different sizes and types.

ebay India lists this:
Torx T8H T8 Tamper Proof Screwdriver Security Torx Driver for XBOX 360 Wired an | eBay
this seems to be the right thing since the diagram has a dimple in the middle of the star pattern.

I bought something like this:
GTMax 15 in 1 Precision Torx Tools Mini Screwdriver for Verizon HTC Driod Incre | eBay
Although this had a regular T8 screwdriver (useless for security screws) it had other sizes, which help to open the blu-ray drive cover (regular flat screws) and other screws.

Hope this helps.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 10:16   #948
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai , Tamil Nadu
Posts: 282
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am confused which one to buy.

Xbox 360 has good online gaming as well as N support for wifi while for everything else ps3 is superior. Price wise both are almost the same since Black Friday is coming. PS3 is $200 for 160gb. while xbox is $200 with $50 gift card.

Don't know which one to pick up.

Any suggestions?
Hey chevelle I am also looking at picking up the PS3 or Xbox 360. Not decided yet but I am leaning towards the PS3. Can you post where you got these prices or you could PM me as well. Would be of great help.

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2011, 11:26   #949
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Hey chevelle I am also looking at picking up the PS3 or Xbox 360. Not decided yet but I am leaning towards the PS3. Can you post where you got these prices or you could PM me as well. Would be of great help.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Yes I'd like to know where I can get these prices too. Can you link us up please..
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 08:29   #950
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Hey chevelle I am also looking at picking up the PS3 or Xbox 360. Not decided yet but I am leaning towards the PS3. Can you post where you got these prices or you could PM me as well. Would be of great help.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Yes I'd like to know where I can get these prices too. Can you link us up please..
Guys, these prices are available on black friday in USA. Most major shops are carrying this deals. some stores i can remember top of my mind are best buy, walmart, staples, target. Most of these would be door busters so it may go out fast.

also xbox will be available for same price but will include kinect. also second controller would be around $30 instead of regular $50. there is one store IIRC Radioshack or target who is carrying xbox 4gb for $140.

so if you have any friends coming, its great to pick up.

sorry if you guys thought its in India too.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 16:57   #951
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai , Tamil Nadu
Posts: 282
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Guys, these prices are available on black friday in USA. Most major shops are carrying this deals. some stores i can remember top of my mind are best buy, walmart, staples, target. Most of these would be door busters so it may go out fast.

also xbox will be available for same price but will include kinect. also second controller would be around $30 instead of regular $50. there is one store IIRC Radioshack or target who is carrying xbox 4gb for $140.

so if you have any friends coming, its great to pick up.

sorry if you guys thought its in India too.
Yeah I knew it was in the states. I have a few friends who are coming over and that is why I was particularly interested. Thanks for the info bro.

Cheers,
Kaushik
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 22:24   #952
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaush666 View Post
Yeah I knew it was in the states. I have a few friends who are coming over and that is why I was particularly interested. Thanks for the info bro.

Cheers,
Kaushik
Great, you should grab this offer.

here are some links to help you.

Walmart Black Friday Ad 2011 - Walmart Thanksgiving Sale, Walmart Thanksgiving Deals, Walmart Black Friday Ads

Bestbuy Black Friday Ad 2011 - Bestbuy Black Friday Ad, Bestbuy black friday deals, bestbuy black friday 2011

Target Black Friday Ad 2011 -Target black friday ad, Target Black Friday Sale, Target Thanksgiving Sale, Target Thanksgiving Deals
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2011, 12:40   #953
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

PS3 slim (320GB) + move pack has kept me happy from past 11 months with occassional use. Have used it as movie player mostly and it performs flawlessly. Any one been to landmark lately? I happened to be at garuda swagath mall landmark on weekend and found tons of PS3 preowned games at real good rates. Picked Killzone 3 for 1000 and Unchartered at 800. Lot of Psp/ps2/Xbox/pc games available under preowned section as well! time to check out other landmark outlets! They have 20% off sale on select new games as well!
vaas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:14   #954
BHPian
 
the_joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 71
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas2000 View Post
Unchartered at 800. Lot of Psp/ps2/Xbox/pc games available under preowned section as well! time to check out other landmark outlets! They have 20% off sale on select new games as well!
IIRC, Uncharted 1 + 2 together is available for 2k or so new. I find that to be a very good bargain. BTW, how can we be sure these discs are in a working condition?
the_joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 09:26   #955
Senior - BHPian
 
Ajaybiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,354
Thanked: 140 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Vaas that pre owned games are available on Forum Landmark as well?
Ajaybiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 10:12   #956
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_joker View Post
IIRC, Uncharted 1 + 2 together is available for 2k or so new. I find that to be a very good bargain. BTW, how can we be sure these discs are in a working condition?
The one i bought is Uncharted 2 Among thieves. Landmark buys back preowned games and gives you game points, which you can use as discounts when buying games from them again. They have policy of OEM Cover/manuals and scratch free disc to buy back games. So both the discs that I bought are scratch free and are in very good condition, yet to install them, but am sure they will work as they would have tested them before buying from previous owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Vaas that pre owned games are available on Forum Landmark as well?
Yes, they are available at all landmark outlets. Check them out!

Last edited by vaas2000 : 6th December 2011 at 10:17.
vaas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:02   #957
Senior - BHPian
 
StarScream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Noida/Delhi
Posts: 1,247
Thanked: 633 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
StarScream, I wouldreally appreciate some help here. What special screwdrivers did you need to open the PS3? I need my les cleaned and am not willing to swap my beautiful old (fat) PS3 for a crappy slim version (posted here (Help required for PS3 - Blinking red light & lens cleaning)). I'm planning to open it up and clean it myself this weekend (hopefully). Any help regarding this will be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
NIP, the difficult screws are the ones in front, under the lip that has the eject/power buttons. They are Torx T8 security screws and you'll need a screw driver for that specific type of screw. Torx screws are flat star pattern screws of different sizes (T2, T3 etc.). The security ones have a raised bump in the middle that prevents a regular T8 screw driver from getting a grip and therefore opening it. Now, that I realized after I had bought my screwdriver set. Luckily, a smaller size flat screwdriver (the type used to fix spectacles) works as well by getting just enough of a hold. That is how I opened my PS3. Since I'd bought a screwdriver set, I had the option to try different sizes and types.

ebay India lists this:
Torx T8H T8 Tamper Proof Screwdriver Security Torx Driver for XBOX 360 Wired an | eBay
this seems to be the right thing since the diagram has a dimple in the middle of the star pattern.

I bought something like this:
GTMax 15 in 1 Precision Torx Tools Mini Screwdriver for Verizon HTC Driod Incre | eBay
Although this had a regular T8 screwdriver (useless for security screws) it had other sizes, which help to open the blu-ray drive cover (regular flat screws) and other screws.

Hope this helps.
NIP, I'm curious, did you manage to open your PS3 and clean the lens?
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 21:35   #958
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,148
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
NIP, I'm curious, did you manage to open your PS3 and clean the lens?
Not yet StarScream :( Been a little tied up traveling over the weekends and am yet to get my hands on the screwdrivers. I have also asked a friend to bring back a PS3 lens cleaning disc from Singapore...should be here this weekend. Will give that a shot first.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 07:22   #959
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Played Uncharted 2 for a while and got hooked! However GT5 and Killzone 3 ask for firmware update (mine is 3.4x something) I haven't ever updated firmware. PSN site shows Version 4.0 is out. Any one updated to this version? is it recommended version to play all new games? Mine is 320 gm slim version+move bought last year december.

Last edited by vaas2000 : 7th December 2011 at 07:24. Reason: typos corrected
vaas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2011, 11:07   #960
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 50
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas2000 View Post
Played Uncharted 2 for a while and got hooked! However GT5 and Killzone 3 ask for firmware update (mine is 3.4x something) I haven't ever updated firmware. PSN site shows Version 4.0 is out. Any one updated to this version? is it recommended version to play all new games? Mine is 320 gm slim version+move bought last year december.
Finally took the plunge and updated the firmware of PS3 to 4.0
Downloaded the update file (around 178 MB) copied it to thumbdrive under update folder and upgraded the firmware. Actual process of upgrade on PS3 took hardly 2 mins. After this, the version change is reflecting on PS3 as Version 4.0. I could finally load/play Killzone3 and GT5 after the update!
Both are awesome, GT5 took lot of time to load 8gb of files to hdd on ps3 after that it was smooth sailing. Still acquiring my licenses

About the Firmware 4.0 contrary to what i've been reading around in ps3 forums, everything is working fine, It plays games perfectly, Divx/avi/dvd as usual, i don't see any issues so far with this firmware. I went to in.playstation.com and checked for updates and downloaded firmware from there. It ultimately downloaded from an EU site.
vaas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaming Consoles - the best ? normally_crazy Shifting gears 36 20th October 2012 19:22
Xbox 360 Elite gone!! MY new Bluray toy!!! nitroxx Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 29th February 2008 06:12
Xbox 360 Game trade R32_GTR Shifting gears 4 12th December 2007 04:18
XBox 360 chaxy Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 26th November 2005 15:23
xbox 360 - spec details gkrishn Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 28th May 2005 01:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks