Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2012, 11:56   #1051
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 700
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Got the 320 GB PS3 with Move bundle today. There was one game free with it Medieval Moves. Apart from the usual package, I bought one extra move controller and two games Sports Champions and Call of Duty: Black Ops (Total Cost Rs 24k). I have never played on a console. I have to admit playing FPS games on the console controller is tough! I had a hard time moving around and aiming properly. I am used to playing Counter-Strike on PC and FPS games on PC are any day better (thanks to the mouse!). Does this happen with everyone when playing on a console for the first time? I am not sure if I have picked up the right game for a beginner.

Playing with Move so far has been pretty awesome! Those who have Move need to play Sports Champions on it! All games are good but Table Tennis is my favourite. The least likeable game was volleyball (not terrible but not exciting either). Even the Frisbee game was superb! I am mightily impressed with the move. However one thing that is bothering me is while playing on Move, our movements are recorded very well when you face the Move Camera however when two people are playing I am not sure how accurate the controller will be. I have not yet tried it out but will do so in the coming days.

One letdown is that there are only 2 USB ports in PS3. For now I am charging both move controllers on my laptop. I hope I get used to playing with the controller.

BTW for the coming holiday season Nintendo has launched their new console Wii U. It looks good but I was not impressed with the concept hence went ahead with PS3 Slim. Sony has launched a slimmer version of PS3 I am not sure if the internals are any different but now it comes with larger memory 250GB and 500GB. I did not want to wait for the new consoles so went ahead with the 320GB one.

+1 to that. Playing FPS games on controller is not that fast and accurate. You will need to spend a lot of time getting your reflexes adjusted. Even I come from a PC and CS background. It took me ages to get myself adapted to the controller for COD. Even after playing the game for more than a year now I feel I am still not there. But once you get a hang of the controller, things will improve but will still not match the Keyboard mouse combo. But I would suggest keep playing and learn how to move the crosshair efficiently with the controller.

Happy Gaming..
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:28   #1052
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
+1 to that. Playing FPS games on controller is not that fast and accurate.
Happy Gaming..
Hi Rachit,

Good to know that playing FPS on controller is actually tough. However I am getting a bit better at it with more and more playing time. I love the entire game play of CoD. Yesterday I sat to play the game at 9.30pm. I kept on doing the mission objectives one by one and when I got sleepy – I realized that the time was 12.30am! I had spent 3 hours playing on the game without even realizing it. Sitting on the couch while playing is one BIG advantage of playing console games.

One stupid question – I still do not know how to check your health in between the games. I mean if the enemies are firing at me, I can see that I am getting hurt but I cannot see how much health I have left. Can we check this or is there no such concept over here? Sometimes I see that I am being hit by so many times by bullets yet I am not dying.

Also another question – As I progress with the campaign, whenever I quit, I save the game so that next time I can start the game from where I left. But what if I have to start the game from other point (not the starting of the game but somewhere in the middle of the game). Can we select from which objective we wish to play?

Playing a campaign on CoD is pretty awesome. I was just wondering what all other things can be done in this game. Multiplayer is one option but I do not have Wi-Fi at my house so cannot connect to the Internet. I guess after finishing the campaign I would not be using this game afterwards. After I finish CoD, I am thinking of moving to Uncharted series - heard some awesome reviews about this game.

Last edited by Saanil : 4th October 2012 at 12:32.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 12:45   #1053
BHPian
 
Rachit.K.Dogra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 700
Thanked: 679 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Rachit,

Good to know that playing FPS on controller is actually tough. However I am getting a bit better at it with more and more playing time. I love the entire game play of CoD. Yesterday I sat to play the game at 9.30pm. I kept on doing the mission objectives one by one and when I got sleepy I realized that the time was 12.30am! I had spent 3 hours playing on the game without even realizing it. Sitting on the couch while playing is one BIG advantage of playing console games.

One stupid question I still do not know how to check your health in between the games. I mean if the enemies are firing at me, I can see that I am getting hurt but I cannot see how much health I have left. Can we check this or is there no such concept over here? Sometimes I see that I am being hit by so many times by bullets yet I am not dying.

Also another question As I progress with the campaign, whenever I quit, I save the game so that next time I can start the game from where I left. But what if I have to start the game from other point (not the starting of the game but somewhere in the middle of the game). Can we select from which objective we wish to play?

Playing a campaign on CoD is pretty awesome. I was just wondering what all other things can be done in this game. Multiplayer is one option but I do not have Wi-Fi at my house so cannot connect to the Internet. I guess after finishing the campaign I would not be using this game afterwards. After I finish CoD, I am thinking of moving to Uncharted series - heard some awesome reviews about this game.

Hi Saanil,

Yes, with time you will get better with the controller. Even I agree, while playing these games you just dont realize about the time.

Wll to be honest, I played the single player campaign a long ago on COD. COD is all about multiplayer. I have Modern Warfare 2 and to be honest I didnt like the Single player campaign. But if you liked single player campaign you must try the multiplayer. It is mind blowing. You must try it.

I dont think there is a concept of health. If you keep getting shot, you will die. If you get shot a couple of times, the vision will get blurry and you need to avoid getting shot and it takes sometime to get back to normal.

I dont remember about the single player campaign.

Uncharted series is again awesome. My advice play the Uncharted 2 first and probably. Uncharted 2 is better and is more engrossing.

But my 2 cents try to play COD on LAN. You dont need a wifi only to connect your ps3 to internet. You can use LAN cord also. For COD multiplayer you might need to do some research on network settings to be able to play on Playstation network though.

CHEERS
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2012, 21:01   #1054
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
From where did you get such amazing offers Chevelle? Oh ok your based in the US so i guess you get these offers on the PSN network there right?
I haven't bought anything from PSN

All the deals were online like amazon, ebay and best buy.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 12:54   #1055
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Finished playing the Campaign of Call of Duty: Black Ops. I thought the game campaign was a bit shorter but then I actually realized that I had spent too many hours on this. The ending of this game is a bit bizarre. I was actually left confused by the ending - read about it online and am somewhat clearer (still confused though).

Now the next title I want to try out is the Uncharted Series. I have read some really brilliant reviews of this series. There are 3 parts to it now – I want to ask whether should I play them chronologically or can I start from any version (Uncharted 2/3).

Also from where do you guys buy PS3 titles? For now Flipkart is the place where I am getting the titles for cheap. I was just wondering whether should I buy all three Uncharted titles or should I look for some good deals or buy 2nd hand games. I heard Landmark used to sell second hand games (in decent condition) – have not yet been there. Any other online website I should check out?
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 14:12   #1056
BHPian
 
ethanhunt123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 847
Thanked: 210 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil
Finished playing the Campaign of Call of Duty: Black Ops. I thought the game campaign was a bit shorter but then I actually realized that I had spent too many hours on this. The ending of this game is a bit bizarre. I was actually left confused by the ending - read about it online and am somewhat clearer (still confused though).

Now the next title I want to try out is the Uncharted Series. I have read some really brilliant reviews of this series. There are 3 parts to it now – I want to ask whether should I play them chronologically or can I start from any version (Uncharted 2/3).

Also from where do you guys buy PS3 titles? For now Flipkart is the place where I am getting the titles for cheap. I was just wondering whether should I buy all three Uncharted titles or should I look for some good deals or buy 2nd hand games. I heard Landmark used to sell second hand games (in decent condition) – have not yet been there. Any other online website I should check out?
I didn't like UC1, you can start with UC2 and then move to UC3. For second hand games, try Indianvideogamer.com. You will get games cheaper than any other website. For new games, Flipkart works fine.
ethanhunt123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2012, 21:39   #1057
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I didn't like UC1, you can start with UC2 and then move to UC3. For second hand games, try Indianvideogamer.com. You will get games cheaper than any other website. For new games, Flipkart works fine.
Thanks for the link! I went ahead and ordered the Uncharted Trilogy (all three games) for Rs 2,932 from Flipkart. I am not sure if I have paid the right amount for these games - based on what I have read about these games, I think its worth buying all 3 parts of the Uncharted series. In short, I will not be bored next weekend
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2012, 14:16   #1058
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,704
Thanked: 7,837 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

I have a 3 year old PS3 which worked superb until a few months ago. Suddenly, it wont start. It wont power up at all. Looks like it's the end of its life.

Wanted to check if it can be serviced but, the Sony guys when they came to know it was not bought in India behaved indifferently and asked me to get the console to their service center which is pretty far from my place.

My question, Has my PS3 died for good? Does it mean, I just have to throw it away? Are their any exchange offers so i can buy the new PS3 with Move?

Btw, whats the best price for PS3 in market now? Also, i have around 20 PS3 games. Hope they work on the new PS3?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:16   #1059
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I have a 3 year old PS3 which worked superb until a few months ago. Suddenly, it wont start. It wont power up at all. Looks like it's the end of its life.
You mean it is not even starting up? I mean even the starting red light is not being shown? Which power source do you use? Try using a different power socket or something.

Since you have got it from outside India, getting it repaired here will be a bit painful. I guess 3-4 years is the useful life of a console. I recently got the PS3 320GB with Move bundle for 18.5k. You can get in the market for around 19k I think. Flipkart had it for Rs 19.9k. The PS3 which I have is called PS3 Slim. Now Sony has launched a slimmer version of it which I think will be available in India from late October. Do not expect it to be cheap. Even after its announcement the prices of existing PS3 slim have not gone down. You will be able to play your earlier PS3 games on your new one, if you decide to get one.

As far as replacement goes (for PS3s bought from India), I have read that:

1. PS3 replaced/repaired for free in 1st year as warranty is there.
2. If your PS3 dies in the second year you get 50% off on a new PS3.
3. If it dies in 3rd year you get 30% off on a new PS3.

It would be great if you could call the Sony service guy and ask him about these rates. Ask for different shops if they could repair PS3 First ask Sony people and then ask other shops.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2012, 11:22   #1060
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,704
Thanked: 7,837 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
You mean it is not even starting up? I mean even the starting red light is not being shown? Which power source do you use? Try using a different power socket or something.
I tried 2-3 different power sockets and it just won't power up. Another problem is i have lot of pictures, downloads on the HD. Can I retreive them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Since you have got it from outside India, getting it repaired here will be a bit painful. I guess 3-4 years is the useful life of a console. I recently got the PS3 320GB with Move bundle for 18.5k. You can get in the market for around 19k I think. Flipkart had it for Rs 19.9k. The PS3 which I have is called PS3 Slim. Now Sony has launched a slimmer version of it – which I think will be available in India from late October. Do not expect it to be cheap. Even after its announcement the prices of existing PS3 slim have not gone down. You will be able to play your earlier PS3 games on your new one, if you decide to get one.
I plan to buy the new PS3 around diwali time with a hope for some offers as generally there for electronic items around this time period.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
As far as replacement goes (for PS3’s bought from India), I have read that:

1. PS3 replaced/repaired for free in 1st year as warranty is there.
2. If your PS3 dies in the second year you get 50% off on a new PS3.
3. If it dies in 3rd year you get 30% off on a new PS3.

It would be great if you could call the Sony service guy and ask him about these rates. Ask for different shops if they could repair PS3 – First ask Sony people and then ask other shops.
That's great info. Even I had the same impression that there is some price off for a new PS3. Will call the sony people and ask for this info

I am not interested to run around looking for its repair as its too much trouble.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2012, 11:57   #1061
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Bought some new games:
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Resistance
COD - world at war
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 11:41   #1062
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lucknow/Gurgaon
Posts: 1,022
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

I bought Mortal Kombat Komplete edition from Snapdeal at 1704 and is also looking for Uncharted series.
same question: should i buy only UC2 and then UC3 or the triology in one go and how is the game like. is it close to somewhat just cause 2 or infamous?
ruchirtnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 15:23   #1063
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I bought Mortal Kombat Komplete edition from Snapdeal at 1704 and is also looking for Uncharted series.
same question: should i buy only UC2 and then UC3 or the triology in one go and how is the game like. is it close to somewhat just cause 2 or infamous?
Uncharted Trilogy - 3 games for a total of Rs 2,932. Cost per game - Rs 978 and you get 3 games.

Uncharted 2 + Uncharted = Rs 1377 + Rs 2199 = Rs 3,576

(Prices from Flipkart)

If you have played Uncharted 1 - try going for used games for UC2 and UC3.
If you have not played the series at all, go for the Trilogy option - makes more sense.

I have completed 90% of Uncharted 1 and it was a good experience. But I have read
UC2 is the best in the series. UC series is a must buy for PS3 users.

Also let us know how is Mortal Kombat. How was you experience with Snapdeal? Was the packaging/delivery time good. The prices are very good on Snap Deal

Last edited by Saanil : 16th October 2012 at 15:35.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 16:16   #1064
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post

I have completed 90% of Uncharted 1 and it was a good experience. But I have read
UC2 is the best in the series. UC series is a must buy for PS3 users.
UC 2 is very very good. I have completed UC 1 and was in the process of playing UC 2 until I got stuck at some level. But my brother has completed it and is right now playing UC3.

I agree, the Uncharted series is one game which you must not miss if you are a PS3 user.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2012, 22:12   #1065
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 379
Thanked: 186 Times
Default Re: The big fight: Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
I bought Mortal Kombat Komplete edition from Snapdeal at 1704 and is also looking for Uncharted series.
same question: should i buy only UC2 and then UC3 or the triology in one go and how is the game like. is it close to somewhat just cause 2 or infamous?
FYI - You can directly play UC2 as it is not at all related to UC1 (of course the characters are same). But it would be in continuation if you play UC2 after playing UC1 - you will kind of feel connected to the characters. I have not played Cause 2 or Infamous but I can assure you that Uncharted series will be worth your time.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gaming Consoles - the best ? normally_crazy Shifting gears 36 20th October 2012 19:22
Xbox 360 Elite gone!! MY new Bluray toy!!! nitroxx Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 29th February 2008 06:12
Xbox 360 Game trade R32_GTR Shifting gears 4 12th December 2007 04:18
XBox 360 chaxy Gadgets, Computers & Software 7 26th November 2005 15:23
xbox 360 - spec details gkrishn Gadgets, Computers & Software 6 28th May 2005 01:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks