Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 16.03%
Netscape 4 0.58%
Mozilla Firefox 353 51.46%
Opera 61 8.89%
Apple Safari 22 3.21%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 119 17.35%
Any other?? Please specify 17 2.48%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th March 2008, 11:13   #151
Senior - BHPian

For PC I use mozilla most of the time, and for mobile, Opera Mini is the one.

Only thing which does not work correctly in Mozilla is when I type in local languages (Hindi-Tamil-Malayalam etc) the text appears properly in IE but it is not quite good in Mozilla.

Opera Mini for mobile is a revolutionary browser indeed. Check it out if you have not tried it yet.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 11:14   #152
BHPian

I have tried Safari when it was just launched. I had trouble accessing a number of sites including bank sites and mtnl mumbai sites. So I stopped using it.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 12:41   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Not really. You can set a master password and then everything is encrypted. I use this feature daily and it is a feature carried over from Mozilla suite browser.
OTOH, Opera is a very nifty and fast browser - however, they are a commercial entity and earlier downloadable versions forced you to see banner ads all the time - not my style so I stuck to NS/Mozilla ...
Using a master password is equally dangerous, cracking one password gives accesss to all your accounts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksreddy View Post
Looks like I'm the only person so far to vote for Safari. I use Safari and sometimes FF on the Mac.

Safari is also available for Windows now and with the iPhone it has a significant browser market share.

Safari is now ACID2 compliant and the first browser to do so: Link
Old news ACID 3 results are out and both Safari and Opera scored cent per cent this time
Safari, Opera Reach 100% In Acid3 Test | Tom's Hardware
revvedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 13:51   #154
BHPian

Default Opera

I almost always use Opera, not only for surfing..but also for checking my mails. It has got an inbuilt mail checking feature, which I find more convenient than MS outlook. It also means one less application running on your PC making it more efficient.
maktags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 14:30   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maktags View Post
I almost always use Opera, not only for surfing..but also for checking my mails. It has got an inbuilt mail checking feature, which I find more convenient than MS outlook. It also means one less application running on your PC making it more efficient.
Yes this is one more thing that comes bundled with Opera besides this one can also configure GMAIL as a RSS feed on it and this will take care of the mail checking process, notifying you of any new mails, irrespective of whether you are signed in or not.
Old 28th March 2008, 16:36   #156
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
Using a master password is equally dangerous, cracking one password gives accesss to all your accounts.
no it isnt, some one wanting to crack the password will have to have physical access to your machine.

and if there is a computer hacker determined and skilled enough to find your real world address and break into a brick and mortar house just for the express purpose of hacking your master password, god save you, cos you've made some powerful enemies

also, if you goof up the master password thrice, poof! all the saved passwords get erased
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 19:39   #157
Senior - BHPian

Safari, IIRC is based on Konqueror?? I may be wrong, but that is what I remember. Konqueror is the browser bundled with KDE.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2008, 19:50   #158
BHPian

I use Fire Fox than IE as it is faster and more user frendly with lots of Add-Ons !
mail4loys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2008, 20:33   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
no it isnt, some one wanting to crack the password will have to have physical access to your machine.

and if there is a computer hacker determined and skilled enough to find your real world address and break into a brick and mortar house just for the express purpose of hacking your master password, god save you, cos you've made some powerful enemies

also, if you goof up the master password thrice, poof! all the saved passwords get erased

Tried this, gets around the earlier security flaw which I had mentioned.
Old 30th March 2008, 07:09   #160
BHPian

I've been using Firefox ever since it was launched. And before that Netscape. I just hate IE and MSN explorer.

Used Safari on Windows for a day, was the slowest ever.
sujaylahiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 10:56   #161
BHPian

Default font installation should help

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
For PC I use mozilla most of the time, and for mobile, Opera Mini is the one.

Only thing which does not work correctly in Mozilla is when I type in local languages (Hindi-Tamil-Malayalam etc) the text appears properly in IE but it is not quite good in Mozilla.

Opera Mini for mobile is a revolutionary browser indeed. Check it out if you have not tried it yet.
on those regional language sites there is a link typically to download fonts. If you install then the problem should go away. The probable reason is IE comes built-in with many fonts and Mozilla browsers do not.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2008, 11:48   #162
Senior - BHPian

@clevermax and @sreenivass, a better choice would be first read up this link:-

http: // XX. wikipedia.org/wiki/ (added white space to avoid link text substitution)

and click on the link which says something similar to "Reading problems? Click here". Replace XX with "ml" for Malayalam, "hi" for Hindi; "mr" for Marathi, "ta" for Tamil, "kn" for Kannada, and "te" for Telegu.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 14:45   #163

Internet Explorer is fun but Safari is vroom vroom and also SAFARI is also very low system resource consumption. TRY IT!! Apple - Safari - Download

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2008 at 23:49. Reason: Color tags removed.
grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:05   #164
Senior - BHPian

using FF - have made couple of tweaks to make it run faster (yes, there is a very very noticable difference).

use IE only for banking sites (don't know if this is the dumbest thing to do!)
HappyWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 17:10   #165
BHPian

Its Firefox all the way. Have been regular user since mid 2004.
austere_sly is offline   Reply With Quote