Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 16.03%
Netscape 4 0.58%
Mozilla Firefox 353 51.46%
Opera 61 8.89%
Apple Safari 22 3.21%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 119 17.35%
Any other?? Please specify 17 2.48%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th September 2008, 14:08   #256
Senior - BHPian

Don't think it is wise to compare Chrome with IE / FF / Opera - All that we can safely say is that the new kind in the block is up to a very good start!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 14:47   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Don't think it is wise to compare Chrome with IE / FF / Opera - All that we can safely say is that the new kind in the block is up to a very good start!
This is soo true! Missed this out because Chrome was so up to the mark that it is comparable with the other biggie's!

If the initial version is like this, what will these guys end up doing?

is Google's plan to take over the universe / world coming true???
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 15:47   #258
Senior - BHPian

I think they are creating a standard and not the actual products. I mean they created this all in open source and not owned by anyone. So, its a good move i think.
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:00   #259
Senior - BHPian

I like this chrome.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:24   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
I don't know about the wishlist, though something was mentioned in some other message.
You may have found out by now. The fist icon to the right of the address bar has a link to report bugs.
Yep, found it and reported the bug

No wishlist is page up yet. Probably the bug-report will be good enough.

The more I use Chrome, the more I like it! Have been on it for 100% of my browsing since yesterday.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 16:35   #261
Senior - BHPian

installed chrome, typed in "www.team-bhp.com/forum" and then a pop up window came up saying it has crashed.

finding it slower when compared to IE7
aadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:00   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
I think they are creating a standard and not the actual products. I mean they created this all in open source and not owned by anyone. So, its a good move i think.
That is a great move by Google. Giving the power out in the open! But I believe Netscape was also an open source browser which did go bust. But, you never know, Google is know for striking gold where ever they go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
installed chrome, typed in "www.team-bhp.com/forum" and then a pop up window came up saying it has crashed.

Strange. Had used it extensively yesterday and did not find it slow nor did I face a crash. I use Vista Home Premium.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:16   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post

Should probably be something to do with your system's configuration. Works fine for me, and have been using Chrome as my browser since I installed it early yesterday!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:24   #264
Senior - BHPian

For me personally IE6/7 are the slowest browsers around. In terms of speed Chrome is almost at the top. Features wise Opera takes the cake with Mozilla being close behind especially with the amount of plugins available. I'm sure Chrome being lightweight and open source it will do really well.

IE is like the devil that can't be wished away. certain sites/products and one can't do without it !!
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:34   #265
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Google's Chrome is an interesting product. With time it will mature into a really nice browser. Presently it is beta and also does not have many Firefox type features.
SuperSyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:34   #266
BHPian

I use IE8 beta2. better than previous versions, never tried other browsers yet, but if they are quicker, I dont mind giving them a try.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 17:45   #267
Team-BHP Support

Chrome has a known issue with Symantec. If you have any Symantec AV, EndPoint or similar stuff installed rest assured that Chrome will crash. Google and Symantec are trying to thrash it out. The support forum for both these companies have been inundated with messages from irate users.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 18:55   #268
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> Yep, found it and reported the bug

I knew you would find it.

> No wishlist is page up yet.

Chrome plug in wish list is up as per message 244 in this topic.

> Have been on it for 100% of my browsing since yesterday.

I will stick with Firefox3 for the present.
trrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 20:04   #269
Senior - BHPian

I have read a review comparing IE8 with Chrome. Seems like IE8 has the edge as of now. Yes, I really meant 'as of now' because it is certain that Chrome will catch up. Chrome had a bigger memory footprint (278MB : 210MB) compared to IE8 when both had some 20 identical tabs opened up.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th September 2008 at 20:05.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2008, 20:43   #270
BHPian

In all the years that I've been on the internet, and boy have they been quite a few. I have used many a browser, my experiences are as follows...

IE - Horrible!!! The one thing you hate, but are stuck with due to lack of choice! The proof of the era of a tyrant, a monopoly. Pretty much used all the versions, and as of now have IE 8. Fine, versions 7 and 8 were ok, acceptable...

Netscape - Used them since the Navigator days, until they died out...It was the best in its time...

Firefox - Took the industry by storm, I was an early adopter, in the beta days, with all the bugs! They worked dilligently, and the final product was good, but not as good as some of the competition...Switched over to 2.0 and it was even better, FF3 is a version that I have not tried, and hence, have no clue how good/bad it has become...

Safari - I have to use this whenever I'm on a Mac which is rare, but there are those occations, the less said the better, It's not good enough to be my primary browser. Love the widgets though...

Chrome - Like it, but still not my primary browser...Waiting for the finished prodcut

Opera - Browser par excellance!!! The origin of tabbed browsing...That's right it wasn't FF, but Opera which has come out with many firsts in the browser wars...
Great quality browser, updated often, widgets are great, not as many as FF, but they are relevent! Have been using Opera for over 5 years, had briefly switched in between to FF, but swiftly returned...

My vote goes to Opera...Definately the king, they don't try to compete, but rather move at their own pace...interestingly their own pace keeps them far ahead of any and all competitors!

cheers:
DocG is offline   Reply With Quote