Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 16.03%
Netscape 4 0.58%
Mozilla Firefox 353 51.46%
Opera 61 8.89%
Apple Safari 22 3.21%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 119 17.35%
Any other?? Please specify 17 2.48%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th September 2008, 13:14   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Strange problem

Ok guys, I am facing a strange problem wrt FF 3. It goes like this-

As long as I am browsing using Safari or Chrome, my comp and net connection seems to work well. Downloads (through Flash Get) are as usual, with download speeds upto 18 kbps.

As soon as I launch FF 3, I start gate Page Load Errors and net connection suddenly stalls. Downloads hang and basically I have to get into 'cmd', flush DNS adapters, release and then renew all connections. This happens whether I am on LAN or WiFi.

I have uninstalled and freshly re-installed FF3 and FF2, but the problem persists. Strangely enough, as soon as FF acts this way, if in the same session, I launch Safari, Chrome or IE7, they also start behaving the same way.

I have scanned the comp for viruses and spyware. While there were none of the former (thank god!), there were a couple of adware and tracking cookies which I removed using AVG and Spybit S&D.

I would like to figure out what could be the solution to this? I have upgraded to SP3 and still no respite. Please help.
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 13:21   #332
Team-BHP Support

Are you using Zonealarm, try disabling zonealarm and see?
do you have extension called fasterfox?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 13:47   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Are you using Zonealarm, try disabling zonealarm and see?
do you have extension called fasterfox?
Nopes. None of the above. I use default Windows Firewall and no extensions/add-ons in FF
Old 16th September 2008, 13:54   #334
Team-BHP Support

I presume you are in MS Vista?
Then you can turn off the web control element I guess, that could be causing problems.
Old 16th September 2008, 14:13   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I presume you are in MS Vista?
Then you can turn off the web control element I guess, that could be causing problems.
Nopes, Im using Windows XP SP3
Old 16th September 2008, 14:33   #336
Team-BHP Support

Try disabling the windows firewall and see if the same thing happens. This can only be a firewall issue.
Do you "dial" your internet connection, or are you on as long as modem is switched on. I am assuming you connect through Ethernet port?
Old 16th September 2008, 15:25   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try disabling the windows firewall and see if the same thing happens. This can only be a firewall issue.
Do you "dial" your internet connection, or are you on as long as modem is switched on. I am assuming you connect through Ethernet port?
1. Disabled Windows firewall but the problem persists
2. Am on Airtel ADSL 128 kbps Rs 799 unlimited data plan. Connection routed through ADSL router+modem. I use Ethernet sparingly. 95% of the time I am on WiFi

EDIT: Just re-checked, I am getting Page Not Load error repeatedly on some specific sites such as McAfee - Antivirus Software and Intrusion Prevention Solutions, Welcome to rediff.com etc. Afetr that , pages that were previously loaded (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, TBHP etc) also stop loading on next re-fresh.

Could this be a Denial of Service attack?

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 16th September 2008 at 15:28.
Old 16th September 2008, 15:31   #338
Team-BHP Support

Do you get this problem even if you use ethernet, or only on WIFI?
Old 16th September 2008, 15:48   #339
Senior - BHPian

Though it's difficult to say what is causing this. Try something just to understand it better:

1) Open 2 command windows and
a) keep pinging the ADSL router,
b) keep pinging Google (or any address on internet).

2) Open Chrome or Opera and check ping is going fine.

3) Open FF3 and notice ping behaviour. We can see if this is corrupting your network stack or just messes up with DNS or internet connectivity. Sometimes, router can put you off network for bad packet broadcast (Not that it is happening in your case)
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 16:02   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you get this problem even if you use ethernet, or only on WIFI?
Initially started only on WiFi, after which I switched to ethernet. However, of late its happening on ethernet as well.

Is it a problem if I keep both connections active (wifi+ethernet). I have only recently started doing that to avoid switching back and forth between connections. However, that has not helped much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Though it's difficult to say what is causing this. Try something just to understand it better:

1) Open 2 command windows and
a) keep pinging the ADSL router,
b) keep pinging Google (or any address on internet).

2) Open Chrome or Opera and check ping is going fine.

3) Open FF3 and notice ping behaviour. We can see if this is corrupting your network stack or just messes up with DNS or internet connectivity. Sometimes, router can put you off network for bad packet broadcast (Not that it is happening in your case)
What IP address to ping to? Could you please write the ping command and what should be the suggested (tolerable) ping times/values?
Old 16th September 2008, 16:12   #341
Team-BHP Support

Open three cmd windows
1. ping -t 192.168.1.1(router)
2. ping -i 72.14.207.99
3. ping -t Google

See its okay, then startup firefox and see what happens to those pings
Old 16th September 2008, 16:37   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Open three cmd windows
1. ping -t 192.168.1.1(router)
2. ping -i 72.14.207.99
3. ping -t Google

See its okay, then startup firefox and see what happens to those pings
Ok, did it with and without FF. Not much of a difference. Packet loss is 0% in both cases. Here are the ping results. I think they look OK. Please suggest.
Attached Images

Old 16th September 2008, 16:44   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Ok, did it with and without FF. Not much of a difference. Packet loss is 0% in both cases. Here are the ping results. I think they look OK. Please suggest.
I am confused now :P

If ping command works fine before and after FF, then there is no problem. It means your network is just fine.

Check ping after you get "page reload" errors in FF. If it still pings fine to *both* router (192.168.1.1 assuming this is your ADSL router) and internet (Google), then your DNS may be the culprit.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2008, 16:48   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I am confused now :P

If ping command works fine before and after FF, then there is no problem. It means your network is just fine.

Check ping after you get "page reload" errors in FF. If it still pings fine to *both* router (192.168.1.1 assuming this is your ADSL router) and internet (Google), then your DNS may be the culprit.
Even I assumed the same. Thats why flushing DNS and re-registering it works almost always. However, thats a very typical 'jugaad' solution. And I am wondering why I have to resort to doing so now suddenly after using the same ADSL router/modem for over 1 year! Same settings, same net connection, same configurations!

Is there a permanent solution to DNS problems?
Old 16th September 2008, 16:53   #345
Team-BHP Support

WinSock XP Fix download and review - fix XP internet connectivity from SnapFiles
This may work

Long time back I got this DNS negative caching issue
O'rielly has a fix
O'Reilly Network -- Hacking Windows XP, Part 2
Quote:
As a way of speeding up DNS, when you visit a site, XP puts the DNS information into a local DNS cache on your PC. So, when you want to go to a site, XP first looks in its local DNS cache, called the resolve cache, to see whether the DNS information is contained there. That way, if it finds the information locally, it doesn't have to query a remote DNS server to find IP information. The cache is made up of recently queried names and entries taken from your HOSTS file.
The cache contains both negative and positive entries. Positive entries are those in which the DNS lookup succeeded, and you were able to connect to the web site. When XP looks in the cache, if it finds a positive entry, it immediately uses that DNS information and sends you to the requested web site.
Negative entries are those in which no match was found, and you end up getting a "Cannot find server or DNS Error" in your browser. Similarly, when XP looks in the cache and finds a negative entry, it gives you the error message without bothering to go out to the site.
Negative entries can lead to problems. When you try to make a connection to a site that has a negative entry in your cache, you'll get an error message, even if the site's problems have been resolved and it's now reachable.
You can solve this problem, though, using a Registry hack. By default, XP caches negative entries for five minutes. After five minutes, they're cleared from your cache. But if you'd like, you can force XP not to cache these negative entries, so that you'll never run into this problem. Run the Registry Editor [Hack #68] and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Dnscache\Parameters. Create a new DWORD value with the name NegativeCacheTime and give it a value of 0. (The value may already exist. If it does, edit its value to 0.) The DWORD determines how much time, in seconds, to keep negative entries in the DNS cache. If you like, you can have the entries stay alive for one second by giving it a value of 1.
After you're done editing, exit the Registry. To make the change take effect, restart your computer, or flush your cache by issuing the command ipconfig /flushdns at a command prompt.
TIP: For more information about using ipconfig, see [Hack #52].
That command will flush your DNS cache-all the entries, both positive and negative, will be flushed, and it will be empty until you start visiting web sites. Negative entries, however, will not be added to the cache if you've given the DWORD a value of 0.
You can also use the Registry to control the amount of time that positive entries are kept in the DNS cache. By default, they are kept for 24 hours. To change the default, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Dnscache\Parameters again and create a DWORD value called MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit. (If it's already present, just edit the value.) For the value, enter the amount of time you want the entry to remain, in seconds, making sure to use Decimal as the base.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 16th September 2008 at 16:56.