Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 16.03%
Netscape 4 0.58%
Mozilla Firefox 353 51.46%
Opera 61 8.89%
Apple Safari 22 3.21%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 119 17.35%
Any other?? Please specify 17 2.48%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th February 2009, 14:46   #421
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I guess there would be competition for that post; and I am a strong contender. but then, I am more pro-Free Software than anti MS. ;-)
Recently in Ubuntuforums ,Many share the FOSS awareness thingies.they learned the hard way that(I too!) when we show the deprived the superior alternate operating systems(GNU/Linux,BSD) and FOSS products ,those who are addicted to window$ ,trialbombs and betawares will ridicule you.It is much difficult than gospel preaching..At One Juncture ,they may search hopefully.nothing much can be done.
deepclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 18:14   #422
Team-BHP Support

Guys, a strange problem here. I use 4 browsers on my laptop - FF, IE, Chrome and Opera.

95% of times, I use FF for my browsing. My brother uses IE. The other two are rarely used. Now, FF has stopped working. IE is working. Opera is working but Chrome is not.

- FF- Current version 3.0.6.
- When I started the browser, I got a message saying some updates are getting installed. The update got installed and FF stopped working :(. I can't connect to any site at all.

What's happening ?
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 18:54   #423
Senior - BHPian

Eddy - does FF open? And what updates where being installed? Plugins? Personally, I always turn off such automatic updates. There is no need for anything except you to install anything except those programs and updates you really want.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2009, 18:56   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, a strange problem here. I use 4 browsers on my laptop - FF, IE, Chrome and Opera.

95% of times, I use FF for my browsing. My brother uses IE. The other two are rarely used. Now, FF has stopped working. IE is working. Opera is working but Chrome is not.

- FF- Current version 3.0.6.
- When I started the browser, I got a message saying some updates are getting installed. The update got installed and FF stopped working :(. I can't connect to any site at all.

What's happening ?
Update:
Have turned off the company firewall and FF has started working. But still looking for a permanent solution.
Old 10th February 2009, 19:06   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:
Have turned off the company firewall and FF has started working. But still looking for a permanent solution.
You probably have to tell FF to use a proxy too?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 12:14   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Update:
Update 2: Tweaked the settings of the firewall and all is well for the time being. Will have to check when I get back home and connect outside the office network.
Old 11th February 2009, 13:12   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update 2: Tweaked the settings of the firewall and all is well for the time being. Will have to check when I get back home and connect outside the office network.
By chance, are/were you using any proxy/firewall client e.g. MS Firewall client Management?
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 17:54   #428
Team-BHP Support

Using the Symantec Client Firewall.
Old 11th February 2009, 18:06   #429
BHPian

Guys, I have Mozilla Firefox on my desktop pc @ home. Just few days back after upgrading it to version 3, Mozilla Firefox refuses to open up. When i click the icon, the browser doesnt open @ all , nor there is any error. Its just refuses to open. I tried uninstalling and installing again. Did that 2-3 times. Didnt work. For time being m using Chrome, but can anbody suggest me a solution for Mozilla Firefox?
yatinchoubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2009, 20:45   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Using the Symantec Client Firewall.
If it has browser integration, it may cause trouble. Experiment by launching and shutting down the client and see how it affects FF in either case. I suspect, it is causing you trouble.

@yatin,

Launch in safe mode and see if that works. If yes, your extensions may be a problem. Or,
Uninstall, delete directory and then install afresh. It may solve your problem.

Last edited by RX135 : 11th February 2009 at 20:48.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:56   #431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I recently stumbled across an excellent Firefox addOn "Auto-Pager".

This works like charm for most website having "next" links. As soon as you scroll to the end of page, it automatically starts loading next page (e.g. next page of google search results), so it keeps on extending your web page from multiple next links to a single page.

I am completely hooked to this add-On. Even better thing is that you can customize it for any website and share with others. Even our friendly T-BHP search results or thread pages can be serialized using this addOn.

Firefox rocks!
How to configure it for all forums here. It works search results though.
niv26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:15   #432
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
I recently stumbled across an excellent Firefox addOn "Auto-Pager".

This works like charm for most website having "next" links. As soon as you scroll to the end of page, it automatically starts loading next page (e.g. next page of google search results), so it keeps on extending your web page from multiple next links to a single page.

I am completely hooked to this add-On. Even better thing is that you can customize it for any website and share with others. Even our friendly T-BHP search results or thread pages can be serialized using this addOn.

Firefox rocks!
.. No more clicking on the next page button. As you scroll down, it automatically loads the web pages one below the other.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:30   #433
BHPian

Got bored of Firefox and got onto the Chrome bandwagon. I'm loving it! Lean, mean and quick. Sadly, many sites (e.g. eBay) seem to be built to be browsed by IE and not by the newer kids on the block. Other than that Chrome is damn good. Incognito window is awesome ;-)
Sagittarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:52   #434
BHPian

Its Firefox for me , its just a great browser. Add-on Features like Xmarks earlier Fox marks are simply great. It has come to my rescue to syn bookmarks in my office & home PC.
Fire Fox rocks
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 22:55   #435
Senior - BHPian

mozilla is the best. i have used almost each and every browser till date.
mozilla is the fastest and the best thing about it is the BACK Button. just click it and you are on the previous page.
the only problem with firefox is that many bank sites and some htmls dont load properly.

IE- its the worst. slowest and most boring
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote