Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

View Poll Results: Internet Browsers - what do you use?
Internet Explorer 110 16.03%
Netscape 4 0.58%
Mozilla Firefox 353 51.46%
Opera 61 8.89%
Apple Safari 22 3.21%
The new kid on the block, Chrome from Google 119 17.35%
Any other?? Please specify 17 2.48%
Voters: 686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th January 2007, 12:32   #91
Team-BHP Support

i was with IE then shifted to Mozilla a year back coz the office comp get darn slow with IE, now have both IE 7 and Moz latest version and i would still swear by Moz, its fast, stable and if auto recovery in case of crash. earlier some sites used to create problem, esp in certain payment gatways, now most of them also seemed to be sorted out.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 12:41   #92
BHPian

I am very happy to see Mozilla users being higher than IE, I like the quality of opensource.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2007, 13:56   #93
BHPian

Just for the regional font sites purpose, I open IE for sometimes. Other wise FIRE fox is the choice. There is a switch rendering add on for firefox, where you can tell which sites you want them to render in IE style. This feature is cool but still I see some issues with Telugu sites. Anyways, my vote goes to FF
pingmepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 17:38   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j View Post
Add to that, version 2 is a HUGE memory hog! Even IE 7 doesnt take up so much memory. Plus it crashes as soon as you have 7-8 tabs open...

IE7 doesnt have the same problems..except for maybe each tab takes toooo long to open up, but once it is open, they are fine. But it also crashes occasionally...but then that is to be expected.

Bottom line is, firefox2 is not much better that IE7, and definitely is worse than the previous 1.5 version
Try DieHard and your problem will be solved.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 19:31   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
Add to that, version 2 is a HUGE memory hog! Even IE 7 doesnt take up so much memory. Plus it crashes as soon as you have 7-8 tabs open...

IE7 doesnt have the same problems..except for maybe each tab takes toooo long to open up, but once it is open, they are fine. But it also crashes occasionally...but then that is to be expected.

Bottom line is, firefox2 is not much better that IE7, and definitely is worse than the previous 1.5 version

+1 . Firefox 1.5.7 is more stable than 2.0 and uses less resources, it gets worse when you add too many plugins. Generally i aint much of a firefox user more of Opera user.
nosfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2007, 21:45   #96
BHPian

Default was under similar impression initially

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j

+1 . Firefox 1.5.7 is more stable than 2.0 and uses less resources, it gets worse when you add too many plugins. Generally i aint much of a firefox user more of Opera user.
I thought Opera (probably 8.0+ version) was a low foot print one compared to Firefox. But I realized later with similar number of tabs Opera also was turning out to be the same. The comparison was with firefox 1.5.0+. I did not like the bookmark and folder management in Opera (obviously I tried migrating to Opera (from being a staunch supporter of Netscape -> Mozilla suite -> firefox/ thunderbird combo later). Importing existing Gigabytes of mails in opera was a real pain in the right/ wrong place. Some features of Galeon (a Mozilla derivative) on Fedora seem very good.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 12:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Firefox for years now. I love the cooliris add-on for firefox where you can view the content of the link and if you like the content you can open it as a tab. If not, just move the mouse away. I find that add-on very useful especially for reading various threads on this forum. I also love the restore session feature of Firefox 2.0.

IE ? no way! I have to use it for one or two websites that don't work with Firefox/Mozilla but other than that, I stay away from it.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 12:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

I have both IE and FF. I love ie for its stability while browsing. Where FF is good for addons. My IE crashes 1 in a month or maybe twice but FF crashes around 2 - 3 times in a week. I am using IE7 and its bit heavy while its load but unlike FF it does not lag or hang when browsing very big sites specially flash sites.

If someday IE supports these types of addons i wont even look at anything else.

Opera is a good browser too but not my cuppa tea.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:05   #99
Team-BHP Support

guys, I thought I'd give Opera 9.1 a try. So I downloaded it, installed it, and then tried to sign in to BHP, but no luck. It refuses to accept my login. After typing in my ID and PW and pressing enter, the browser begins to load the next page, but thats it. The page never changes, and I don't get logged in.

Tried it with some other sites as well and the same story. I cannot log myself into anything!!

Any tips from opera users? This is crazy!
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:06   #100
BHPian

try to clear cookies and then try again.
navdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:16   #101
Team-BHP Support

Done that. Also added the sites to my "white" list, but still no luck! BTW, it's only a problem with forums. Seems to work fine on email accounts.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:22   #102
BHPian

I'm used to IE. Been using it for years. Tried other browsers, but I guess I'm used to the look and feel of IE. Not installed IE7 as it has been said to be bit unstable still. Yet to try the lastest version Firefox, which has got lots of positive reviews. Had downloaded it but not installed it. Another reason why I use IE is that my development team always develops web-applications based on IE, which sometimes has been noted to cause display issues when viewed in Firefox. But that is a development issue!
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:31   #103
Senior - BHPian

Well installed opera and its way better than FireFox. Its just like IE but does not hang at times like IE do. I am browsing TeamBHP with Opera and its working fine.

BTW is there any way i can install the older version of FF like 1.5

Last edited by abhibh : 28th March 2007 at 12:37.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 12:48   #104
BHPian

well i use firefox for one reason very bad in grammar so every thing is booked mark right on top so just need to click it.
pawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2007, 14:19   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Done that. Also added the sites to my "white" list, but still no luck! BTW, it's only a problem with forums. Seems to work fine on email accounts.
Go to Tools...... Delete Private Data and then click Delete

If this doesn't work then Go to Star button on Windows taskbar enter %appdata% click OK.
In the new window that opens delete Opera folder.
NOTE: All your customizations will be lost after you delete this folder.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote