Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th October 2009, 23:16   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
anyone on linux or mac uses an antivirus yet?
i have used the avast linux edition on my fedora 9 for some time,but after a peroid i deleted it and my linux machine is now working without any antivirus.
jithudigitised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 01:06   #407
BHPian

Has anyone tried Microsoft Security Essentials?
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 10:20   #408
Senior - BHPian

Gendarmee: I am on it for some time. Worst part was that Windows Security Center does not recognize SE as a anti-virus program!!!

Apart from that, I am all that happy with it. Did a couple of tests with it on a VPC image and it failed at detecting website malwares. This one looks more like an extended Windows Defender to me.

MS still has a long way to go in the anti-virus area! Hope they get there, rather than letting SE go the LiveCare way.

There is an existing thread on SE: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-released.html
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:34   #409
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jithudigitised View Post
i have used the avast linux edition on my fedora 9 for some time,but after a peroid i deleted it and my linux machine is now working without any antivirus.
same here - haven't yet felt the need - i do plan to use the ubuntu firewall
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 11:38   #410
BHPian

AVG anti-virus 9
Basic antivirus and antispyware protection for Windows available to download for free

AVG Free - Download installation files & documentation
Seagull76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:14   #411
Senior - BHPian

I have been using a combination of AVG for Anti-virus and ZoneAlarm for firewall for close to 7 years now - not once have I had a virus on the machine. And no, I know there are no viruses.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:32   #412
Distinguished - BHPian

Have been bombed by spyware created by AVG !

The system tray keeps warning of infection and then does a scan to ask me to pay for Antivirus Pro 2010. I tried to uninstall AVG but it has not helped. When i try and download another antivirus software the damn thing doesn't let the website open.

Please help ! Any free anti virus i can download for the time being to counter this?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:40   #413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

The system tray keeps warning of infection and then does a scan to ask me to pay for Antivirus Pro 2010. I tried to uninstall AVG but it has not helped. When i try and download another antivirus software the damn thing doesn't let the website open.

Please help ! Any free anti virus i can download for the time being to counter this?
I was struck with the same virus last year. This is a tough one to get rid of.
I logged on to windows in safe mode and removed this antivirus using Malwarebytes If that doesn't work, try any of the online virus checker. I also removed entried from registry. Its been a long time so I don't remember the exact registry entry.

That was the time I got rid of AVG and got symantec.

Edit: I used Malwarebytes to remove it - see here How do I remove Antivirus Pro 2010 from my computer? - Yahoo! Answers

And Remove Antivirus Pro 2010 [Removal Guide]

Last edited by greatpower : 20th October 2009 at 18:44.
greatpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:46   #414
BHPian

And don't use Internet Explorer - try some other browser like firefox or chrome.
greatpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:50   #415
BHPian

Hi Greatpower

Try installing SPYBOT Search and destroy The home of Spybot-S&D! , its a freeware and works excellent on spyware and malware.

You need to update your definitions after installing this software which will be taken care automatically if you are on internet.

As far as antivirus goes i use ESET NOD32 on my personal PC, and have to live around with Trendmicro on office laptop ( not very great antivirus software though ( my opinion))
challa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 18:57   #416
BHPian

Quote:
...I tried to uninstall AVG but it has not helped. When i try and download another antivirus software the damn thing doesn't let the website open...
Probably running removal tool from AVG's website or kaspersky's website would help. (after uninstalling AVG though)

AVG Antivirus and Security Software - Tools download

Installation / Uninstallation
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 01:38   #417
Senior - BHPian

Default Remove fake antivirus

Quote:

Wow, don't think it is something that AVG is "creating", its a fake anti-virus that has been installed on the machine - also called "scareware". Came across this article on DownloadSquad which talks about a tool called just that - "Remove Fake Antivirus". You can give it a shot...
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 02:45   #418
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Go For ESET

I use ESET NOD 32 and Avira Anti vir personal on my desktop...I feel ESET is the best anti virus available right now..I've been using it for nearly 2 years now and haven't had any intrusions yet..
stanjohn123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:05   #419
BHPian

IMHO Norton Internet Security 2010 is the best. Its lightning fast and awesome protection.
anmolbedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:14   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
same here - haven't yet felt the need - i do plan to use the ubuntu firewall
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFirewall
hi jassi,

i dont think there is a need for an antivirus in linux.
virus do take advantage of various hidden functionalities of windows, linux being a completely open thing does not need anti-virus.
these days (after the 2.6 kernel) you can not even crash the kernel with crooked drivers also. so all the more safe.
my only worry may be website phishing and all. but then again no anti-virus may protect against those.
and yes about firewalls i guess if you plan to use you your system as a machine which is visible on internet or a server then its worth all the pain else i think the NAT and all used by ISPs is good enough.
pb10gagan is offline   Reply With Quote