Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2010, 03:04   #511
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Question Best free anti-virus now..

I am done with the mcafee subscription. So would like to know, which might be the best free anti-virus available as of now ?
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 03:50   #512
BHPian
 
sunilchakola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 124
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Cheap and Best - I felt Kaspersky is the best...
sunilchakola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 09:09   #513
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,641
Thanked: 1,026 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilchakola View Post
Cheap and Best - I felt Kaspersky is the best...
I guess he is asking for a free anti-virus software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am done with the mcafee subscription. So would like to know, which might be the best free anti-virus available as of now ?
The best free anti-virus software as of now is Avira. Its unbeatable and gets hold of all spyware and viruses. Choose the high detection level while you install the program.

P.S : I changed to Avira from McAfee, after my 15 month subscription was over. IMO, McAfee was just an eyewash, doesnt do anything other than eating up some memory.
DRIV3R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 10:35   #514
BHPian
 
johnjacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bangalore, INDIA
Posts: 344
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

There are four main choices in free anti-virus software.
1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials
4. AVG

The reviews that I read have ranked AVG a bit below the others. Microsoft Security Essentials is good, but I haven't tried it yet. I probably will try it when I format my Windows Vista and install Windows 7.

Originally, I used Avira, and now I use Avast. Both are good, and I have no complaints.
johnjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 12:00   #515
BHPian
 
infallible79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 49
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I have used AVG free version extensively on my personal laptop and I was thoroughly impressed with it. It can give any paid anti-virus a run for its money. I have also tried Avira for a short time and even found it good.

Cheers!
infallible79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 20:40   #516
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I guess he is asking for a free anti-virus software.

The best free anti-virus software as of now is Avira. Its unbeatable and gets hold of all spyware and viruses. Choose the high detection level while you install the program.

P.S : I changed to Avira from McAfee, after my 15 month subscription was over. IMO, McAfee was just an eyewash, doesnt do anything other than eating up some memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjacob View Post
There are four main choices in free anti-virus software.
1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials
4. AVG

The reviews that I read have ranked AVG a bit below the others. Microsoft Security Essentials is good, but I haven't tried it yet. I probably will try it when I format my Windows Vista and install Windows 7.

Originally, I used Avira, and now I use Avast. Both are good, and I have no complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infallible79 View Post
I have used AVG free version extensively on my personal laptop and I was thoroughly impressed with it. It can give any paid anti-virus a run for its money. I have also tried Avira for a short time and even found it good.
Cheers!
Thanks Guys!
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:33   #517
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 874 Times
Default

Bumping the thread!

Have got a new netbook and would like to know which is a good free version but light weight antivirus software. I do not want it to be hogging the system resources but still perform at par to detect the viruses etc.

So out of the 4 listed in the last few posts, which one would the bhp buddies recommend for a netbook??

1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials
4. AVG
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:38   #518
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,648
Thanked: 1,957 Times
Default

Avira - I was using this for long time (3+ years) & found it boring because of no fancy interface or anything, but occupies less memory than Avast or AVG.

Avast - Does lot of fancy things like rotating icon in the task bar etc & have used this some where around 8 months

AVG - This is what I'm using presently & I found no issues other than occupying more memory compared to Avira & I'm planning to switch to Avira
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 16:18   #519
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Bumping the thread!

Have got a new netbook and would like to know which is a good free version but light weight antivirus software. I do not want it to be hogging the system resources but still perform at par to detect the viruses etc.

So out of the 4 listed in the last few posts, which one would the bhp buddies recommend for a netbook??

1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials
4. AVG
I am using Avast home edition which is free for couple of years now. Its pretty impressive. Never faced any problems with it.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 16:23   #520
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 387 Times
Default

Would suggest to try out clamwin also. It is open source anti virus and hence truly free. Though a bit on the slow side but still managed to caught many which mcafee passed over.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 18:36   #521
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,462
Thanked: 874 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Avira - I was using this for long time (3+ years) & found it boring because of no fancy interface or anything, but occupies less memory than Avast or AVG.

Avast - Does lot of fancy things like rotating icon in the task bar etc & have used this some where around 8 months

AVG - This is what I'm using presently & I found no issues other than occupying more memory compared to Avira & I'm planning to switch to Avira

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I am using Avast home edition which is free for couple of years now. Its pretty impressive. Never faced any problems with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Would suggest to try out clamwin also. It is open source anti virus and hence truly free. Though a bit on the slow side but still managed to caught many which mcafee passed over.
Thanks guys! Looks like a close call between Avira and Avast.

D2L, I will check out clamwin as well but if its already slow then it might not serve the purpose as you might know that the netbook is already crippled by a slow processor. Would not want the AV eating up the other resources as well.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 21:06   #522
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

ESET NOD32 antivirus 3.0.621.0 ( virus signature database:5033(20100416) )
sanjaymugur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 22:46   #523
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 869
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Using Norton since last 5 years, and mostly get 20% off using discount coupons.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 23:43   #524
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Thumbs up MS Security Essentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Bumping the thread!

Have got a new netbook and would like to know which is a good free version but light weight antivirus software. I do not want it to be hogging the system resources but still perform at par to detect the viruses etc.

So out of the 4 listed in the last few posts, which one would the bhp buddies recommend for a netbook??

1. Avast
2. Avira
3. Microsoft Security Essentials
4. AVG
If you have genuine copy of windows, security essentials is good. You can download it and install from microsoft website. It is serving me well. So far so good.
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 17:29   #525
BHPian
 
tortoiseNhare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 524
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Help! Windows does not go past logon screen

The Windows partition of my PC was infected with Lord Rahul Cool virus. I deleted the windows script file "Rahul'sVirusprotection.vbe" from Windows\System32 directory while in Linux. Upon reboot there was the error message of script not found. I then edited the registry manually deleting all entries containing the string "Rahul". After reboot the machine just stopped at the logon screen. The machine shuts down or reboots normally from that point but just does not go forward. Gurus please help!

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 10th May 2010 at 17:31.
tortoiseNhare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which software to use for editing videos ? Deeps Gadgets, Computers & Software 52 24th July 2017 00:21
Software Dev. Engineer v/s Software Test Engineer DCEite Shifting gears 50 14th April 2008 13:10
Anti honda?? Anti suzi?? Anti fiat?? Anti ford etc etc?? Vent out ur opinions here!!! mclaren1885 Shifting gears 3 29th June 2006 14:23
Virus Attack on 3rd Feb 2006!! speedsatya Shifting gears 32 11th February 2006 01:24
Spybot virus Deeps Shifting gears 4 9th October 2004 23:03


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks