Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 27th December 2012, 16:03   #676
BHPian

Default Re: Which Anti-virus software do you use ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I have been using Eset Nod32 v 5.0.95.0
Same here. No nonsense, VIRUS DETECTED!!!! messages and alarms etc. No cheesy animations. Silently moves infections to quarantine. It is very professional in look & functionality.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 18:52   #677
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Which Anti-virus software do you use ?

Using Kaspersky since May this year and has been doing very well. My previous employer is an information security expert and they only trusted Kaspersky too.

Does not slow down the system, at all. I don't know what is worst but McAfee antivirus just sucks.
k_ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 14:49   #678
BHPian

Kaspersky basic. System hasn't slowed. Mcafee was a huge burden on my system. Im happy I can buy genuine software thats affordable.
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 15:37   #679
Distinguished - BHPian

There is always a trade off in the Anti-virus with performance. There has to be an efficient algorithm and a manageable list of malware to check when using the live version. This is why you are expected to do a periodic scan since then the table can be bigger and the algorithm more potent.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 19:22   #680
BHPian

Please switch over to Linux. No need to worry about viruses. Ok,Ok , I know, even Linux has viruses, but compared to the Viruses affecting Windows, the number is Microcosmic!
srikanthns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 20:33   #681
BHPian

I use Kaspersky AV 2013. Just bought the 3 PC license. This is the first time I am paying for software. It does a pretty good job and does not hog system resources. Norton used to make my system damn slow. KAV is good in that aspect. Highly recommended.
hrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 10:44   #682
BHPian

Kaspersky Internet Security is what i use. It is a "no hassles" antivirus which has a good malware detection rate and also a great file scanner to detect multi-packed objects. As Mr Sgiitk already mentioned, An effective antivirus algorith might require more "processor-time" but unfortunately, none of us like to see our PC lagging because of an antivirus. I feel Kaspersky is good at everything.A thumbs-up from me it is, for kaspersky that is.
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 14:59   #683
Senior - BHPian

On my wife's laptop and notebook Kaspersky.

On my own Macbook Pro I have not yet used any anti virus software. So far so good, I've had it for three and a half years with no viruses!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 05:31   #684
BHPian

My Dell laptop came with McAfee Security center and it is getting expired in a week. If i chek renewing it, it costs about 1900 Rs for one year subscription. Is it worth to renew it with Mcafee? I feel it is too expensive that too for one year. Is there any other AV which is good? I see KASPERSKY being suggested. should i go for it?
venki.bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 08:33   #685
BHPian

Viruses ? The only viruses that I get are the common cold types.
Apple fan boys don't bother about viruses in the virtual world.
Poor windows.
Mudhalaipatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 09:55   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
My Dell laptop came with McAfee Security center and it is getting expired in a week. If i chek renewing it, it costs about 1900 Rs for one year subscription. Is it worth to renew it with Mcafee? I feel it is too expensive that too for one year. Is there any other AV which is good? I see KASPERSKY being suggested. should i go for it?
I have used McAfee and it is not that good in my opinion. Definitely go for Kaspersky. I am using Kaspersky internet security 2013 with 3 PC subscription. Cost me about 950/- for the lot. Super cheap and very reliable. If you don't use the internet much then you can go in for kaspersky AV which is much cheaper.
D4d-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 10:01   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venki.bala View Post
Microsoft Security Essentials is free and very good and non-resource intensive. I have been using it for nearly 3 years now.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 10:20   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4d-maniac View Post
I have used McAfee and it is not that good in my opinion. Definitely go for Kaspersky. I am using Kaspersky internet security 2013 with 3 PC subscription. Cost me about 950/- for the lot. Super cheap and very reliable. If you don't use the internet much then you can go in for kaspersky AV which is much cheaper.
Just want to understand this.. What are the reasons behind judging McAfee is not so good? When I purchased my Netbook (Intel Atom), it came with McAfee security center. I have been using it since. Renewed the license 2 times. For about ~1900Rs/Year, you get total internet security suite (includes Site Adviser). I think if you don't need this level of security, you can choose a lower costed version with limited protection. I use this machine mainly to surf net (no other applications except MS-Office). I don't face any performance degradation because of McAfee. I thought it is doing a decent job. No virus infection so far. Last time I was reluctant in renewing the license, but at the end I continued with McAfee mainly due to lack of awareness on other AV options. I want a real good AV as I do lot of online banking from this Netbook.

So, please let me understand why we think McAfee is not good. Maybe next time I can look around before renewing the license.
psvinay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 11:39   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psvinay View Post

Just want to understand this.. What are the reasons behind judging McAfee is not so good? When I purchased my Netbook (Intel Atom), it came with McAfee security center. I have been using it since. Renewed the license 2 times. For about ~1900Rs/Year, you get total internet security suite (includes Site Adviser). I think if you don't need this level of security, you can choose a lower costed version with limited protection. I use this machine mainly to surf net (no other applications except MS-Office). I don't face any performance degradation because of McAfee. I thought it is doing a decent job. No virus infection so far. Last time I was reluctant in renewing the license, but at the end I continued with McAfee mainly due to lack of awareness on other AV options. I want a real good AV as I do lot of online banking from this Netbook.

So, please let me understand why we think McAfee is not good. Maybe next time I can look around before renewing the license.
I used McAfee about 4 years back. My PC was a Pentium 3. It was definitely a resource hogger back then. So I stopped using McAfee. And I switched to Kaspersky on the same machine and for 4 years have been using KIS. I have 1 PC and 3 laptops with KIS. Hence the recommendation.
D4d-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2013, 15:21   #690
Team-BHP Support

Just use any anti-virus. All are same. More popular ones are more suceptible to zero day attacks because virus creaters usually test against the popuplar ones.
I remember, in 2007 or thereabouts, my laptop got infect really badly.
McAfee, Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, MSE nothing worked. I downloaded a relatively less known program called Malwarebytes and ran a system scan. Problem solved.

But today if you run Malwarebytes, it will fail.
Once an infection is out in the open, all AV makers update their signature database and things work fine again.

But then less than 0.1% users will ever see a zero day attack, so use anything which gives you happiness and satisfaction. Free or paid does not matter.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote