Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 9th October 2013, 18:13   #706
BHPian

Default Re: Symantec slowing down your corporate PC/Laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
[*]Go to the folder C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection\12.1.2015.2015.105\Bin[*]Rename the file sms.dll to something else, like sms.bak or something.
Good admin would have made sure that no write permission for the program files folder.
In that case this won't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hope you are not connected to Internet or copying files over the local network, USB sticks. Else your PC is a sitting duck.
Off-late, there is a group which does not install anti-virus at all. With few self-restrictions, you can fly-through. There is no threat of virus / malware. The key is "self imposed restriction on access" though.

It seems Microsoft security is good and light-weight. One can try this.

Last edited by iamswift : 9th October 2013 at 18:17.
iamswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 18:28   #707
BHPian

Default Re: Symantec slowing down your corporate PC/Laptop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
It seems Microsoft security is good and light-weight. One can try this.
, Its good & works well. It can however be used only if the operating system is an Licensed version.
Redeemer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 18:49   #708
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Which Anti-virus software do you use ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Hope you are not connected to Internet or copying files over the local network, USB sticks. Else your PC is a sitting duck.

With right tools, they can.

That is something serious.

PS: If your PC/laptop is slow, request for upgrade of RAM or processor or the system itself.
More ram alone can't help in case of symantec hogging the system while doing a scan. Either you need a really fast computer or if your computer config is like i3 and 4 gb ram, symantec will have the computer under its boot until it finishes the scan.

I am directly connected to Internet, do browsing and even download files while symantec is off - doing this may not necessarily mean the computer will be affected for sure. If you use everything sensibly, possibility of getting affected is negligible. I have used the pc with a direct Internet connection with no anti-virus for about 3 months and it was totally fine.

as the previous post says - "self imposed restriction with no anti-virus" is the key. My personal laptop is an example of survival without anti-virus

Last edited by clevermax : 9th October 2013 at 18:51.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2013, 22:18   #709
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I have been using MS Security Essentials for the last 5 years. It is free if you have liscensed OS. It is light. It is fool proof. Never let me down. I surf the net extensively and expose my machine to all and sundry pen drives. I would strongly recommend the product. I have shifted to Mac OS X last week. So no anti-virus business for me. For all those using paid anti virus stuff like Norten, Quick Heal, McAfee, etc. please shift to MS Security Essentials. Makes a lot of sense to save all that annual spend on liscense. And maybe invest the same amount in buying other genuine software.

Cheers!
dushmish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 01:13   #710
BHPian

I am surprised nobody has mentioned sandboxie. Open your suspicious links with sandboxie"!

MSE + Sandboxie is a very good, light on resources combo.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 15:51   #711
BHPian

Oops! Looks like I might have to eat my words on MSE! What do you guys think?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security...virus-rankings

Microsoft 's reply :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/arch...timalware.aspx

Last edited by drsingh : 10th October 2013 at 15:54.
Old 12th October 2013, 09:51   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Oops! Looks like I might have to eat my words on MSE! What do you guys think?
MSE provides baseline protection. All the best Antivirus in the world is not going to protect a user who logs in as an Administrator and visits all the notorious sites out in the wild. One thing about MSE is - it has a minimal memory footprint and does the job without consuming a lot of system resources.

There is one more free Antivirus/Anti Malware scanner/cleaner - Sophos.

At the end of the day, it is your backup which would save the day for you. And not all backups are created equal. Just a couple of weeks ago, my hard drive failed. I restored to a new drive using a System image. Within hours I was back. No Windows/other software deactivation and reactivation issues.
Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:09   #713
BHPian

Default Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

These days I see that more than PC Viruses, its browser malware that is a menace.

What methods do you guys use to make sure malicious processes are not slowing down your browser ?
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 11:28   #714
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
What methods do you guys use to make sure malicious processes are not slowing down your browser ?
1) Use an up-to-date browser. (Chrome / Firefox update every week or so).

2) Use a security program that also provides protection for these things. It will show you a warning before you reach a malware ridden site. (eg. Kaspersky Internet Security 2014)

3) Use OpenDNS as your DNS provider. If you're visiting a compromised site or a known attack site, you'll usually get a warning.

4) If you're installing browser extensions, only install the popular, trusted and well-rated ones. Don't install ones from unknowns.

5) Watch out when installing/updating software. A lot of legitimate softwares come bundled with bloat-ware. (Eg. Java installer). Always keep an eye out for that pre-checkboxed tricky step in the installation process that asks "install yahoo toolbar as well?". Keep your eyes open when installing/updating software. Read every option.

6) Don't visit tricky sites. If you love downloading torrents, etc and you aren't 1000% sure of where to click, chances are you're going to open something suspect (a lot of download-like buttons are actually for ads).

7) Use a DIFFERENT/UNIQUE password for EVERY site. If you don't, one site being compromised means ALL your accounts EVERYWHERE have been compromised.

8) Run a malware-specific cleanup program every few weeks. I think a good one is called malware-bytes?

9) Do a fresh install of your OS often. (There are a few tricky softwares that go undetected).

10) Keep an eye out for anything suspicious. Eg. are you seeing new pop-ups on a site that didn't have them earlier? Are you seeing sketchy ads on otherwise reputed sites? Chances are your ads are being hijacked by malware. If infected, a complete reformat/reinstall of your OS is the safest bet.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th April 2014 at 11:32.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 13:09   #715
Senior - BHPian

I've been using a MAC since 2009 and never, touch wood, have had any issues since. Don't run any virus checker whatsoever.

And as pointed out, be aware and use common sense when browsing the net and when you get mails from people you don't know. Or from people that you do know but are asking you for stuff they shouldn't. Eg a mail from your bank requesting confirmation of your online log on details
Jeroen
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014, 21:55   #716
BHPian

Posting question about Internet security software. I have been using Kaspersky Internet Security. It's start up is very slow. I am considering shifting to Norton 360, when the current KIS license expires this week. It's more expensive but it seems to be better. However it also seems to occupy more RAM.

So I checked running processes and KIS has two entries:-
avpui.exe belonging to Kaspersky Antivirus taking up 3,300k of system resource (I suppose this is 3300kb of RAM or something similar).
avp.exe belonging to Kaspersky Antivirus taking up 98,000k

Can someone please post similar figures for Norton products?
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 09:54   #717
BHPian

Bringing up an old thread to life again!!

The configuration of my laptop is as follows:

Processor- Intel Pentium 2.3 Ghz
RAM- 3GB
System type - Windows 7 Home user 32 bit OS.

I recently purchased the the Kaspersky Internet security 2015 pack. Ever since I installed this application on my system, everything has become terribly slow. Be it the browsing or multitasking or opening an application etc.

What should I do for this. I am not a Techie. Can someone help me out with this
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2015, 10:17   #718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

The configuration of my laptop is as follows:

Processor- Intel Pentium 2.3 Ghz
RAM- 3GB
System type - Windows 7 Home user 32 bit OS.

I recently purchased the the Kaspersky Internet security 2015 pack. Ever since I installed this application on my system, everything has become terribly slow. Be it the browsing or multitasking or opening an application etc.

What should I do for this. I am not a Techie. Can someone help me out with this
Just use Microsoft security essentials and sandboxie. And don't click on anything suspicious. You should be fine.
Old 14th February 2015, 10:26   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post

I recently purchased the the Kaspersky Internet security 2015 pack. ...:
I use Avast , the home user edition is Free you just need to register and get a key.
Have not had any issues, using it for the last couple of years. I would recommend it.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2015, 12:46   #720
Senior - BHPian

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/17/te...=top-news&_r=0

Very interesting news about spyware being used by NSA
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote