Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd September 2010, 23:17   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
badboyscad, would suggest a better PSU. A corsair p'rhaps ?
Corsair was my first choice but i settled down with coolermaster due to moolah shortage.
badboyscad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 10:27   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Wow! My temprature figures are about 1-1.5 times of yours (I have a AMD Athlon II X4 635)

Could someone give me idea about the locations to add a fan in my cabinet? Have attached some pics of my cabinet below.

2 fans will cost me about 1.5-2k. So by adding a bit more cash, should I opt for water cooling? Will that help me in this scenario? And what are the hassles of water cooling?
Fans will increase air flow in the cabinet cooling all components. The ideal place to install extra fans is on the side cover facing the CPU pushing air in.

By water cooling I assume it is for the CPU only. That will not help rest of the motherboard. In fact the other components on the motherboard heat up much more than the CPU, which has its own fan.

In my cabinet I have the fans at the following locations

1. 1 on the PS
2. 1 in the cage housing HDD
3. 2 on the Right side cover
4. 2 on the Left side cover
5. 1 in the rear

My system has the following power hogs
1. 2 x Quad Xeon
2. 6 x HDD
3. 1 x XFX Graphics card 512MB, with its own fan
4. 4 x 2GB RAM (yes they get quite hot)
5. 1 x 1000W PS

All the fans work, but once the room temparature crosses 25 degrees the system starts overheating. Hence I have to use AC most of the year in Delhi.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 11:35   #1563
Senior - BHPian

@prateekm,

You can try adding a fan at the front of the cabinet. It will pull air and cool HDDs as well as motherboard components. 10 cm fan would cost 400 Rs.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 16:52   #1564
BHPian

Default Upgrading an old system

Hi Guys, gurus / experts,

I have a really, really old system, which has served me well. Now I think, the time has come to retire it / up grade it. It is a Compaq Presario 3600 AP which was bought in 2001 (or was it 2002?).

It has a ABIT i845-W83627HF BL30G v1.0 motherboard with 100 megahertz bus clock. The processor is 1.50 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4. It has three sticks of SD RAM memory adding up to 786 MB. It also has a graphics card which has a ... hold your breath ... all of 16 MB on board memory.

I want to retain, if possible, following from the old system :

1. Cabinet
2. Power Supply (300 W, is it enough? will the connectors that were in vogue in 2001 work with modern boards?)
3. Keyboard and mouse (It is a Logitech cordless combo MK 250, so should work with new system)
4. Lite On DVD writer (LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1P)
5. LG CD Writer (HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8525B)
6. Dell Monitor (DELL IN1910N [Monitor])
7. ASUS Wi Fi adapter (ASUS 802.11 g/b Wireless PCI Adapter)
8. Two hard drives - ST320410A [Hard drive] (20.02 GB) and ST380011A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB)
9. I also want to continue using OEM Windows XP Home Edition, OS my present computer came with.

I will be using the system for basic office applications (Word / Excel / Power Point), surfing, some downloading, listening to music / watching movies and very very basic gaming for kids.

I want an up-grade which is bang for the buck. As you can see, I used the previous system for nine long years, before it choked on me and needed to be upgraded (though I changed monitor, added RAM, added Wi-fi etc along the way). I need lots of USB ports, good sound (will be adding AL 5021 later), smooth running system, that can handle few applications thrown at it simultaneously.

So what do you guys suggest? Intel combo or AMD? Is Atom CPU + MB combo good enough for me?

Please guide me in utilising max possible from my old system plus new MB/CPU/RAM combo.

In the old system, all the ports were at the rear side of the cabinet, want to add an extension for them at the front (in FDD slot, if possible).

Thanx in anticipation. Please guide me in up grading the system. Money is not a constraint, but must be well spent.

-Navneet
Navneet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 18:34   #1565
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a wonderful amount of time to have used a computer: you certainly got your money's worth.

An OEM copy of XP is supposed to be licensed specifically for one machine only. Interesting to hear comments on this, as I am about to do a new build too. Whilst I have settled in to Linux for 99% use, there is still some Windows-specific stuff to visit sometimes.

My thinking for a new machine is to include USB3.0. You too want to make your new system last, so that is something to consider. I'm going for a board with integrated graphics, as I am neither a game player nor a film buff --- and adding an additional graphics adapter is always possible in the future if it is needed; that's probably good for you too.

I think my currrent system (it looks like a Compaq Presario, but the compaq board died and was replaced with a Gigabyte board) has 300-watt supply, but that doesn't seem to go far these days. Useful calculator at Antec's site here. Of course, they are selling them, but particularly see their footnote about heavy use or long life. My PC runs 12 to 16 hours a day.

My New System...

It was going to be economical, but I'm throwing financial caution to the wind (or at least a stiff breeze: of course, one could always spend a huge amount more).

I'm now proposing a Gigabyte GA890GPA-UD3H with AMD Phenom II x4 955 (3.2Mhz).

I'm expecting this to knock me back about Rs.17,000 from Delta in Chennai. I'll add a mere 2*2Gb DDR3 to begin with. It'll probably be enough anyway.

The case, Antec P183, with CP850 power supply (review of combination), will cost more than the contents at about 18,000. I expect it to last me for the next several generations of PC! Choice is on the basis of a good, strong case that will be quiet if not actually silent. The power system is proprietary to Antec. It will support much much more than I plan to put in the case.

Taking one HD and one optical drive from my existing system will leave that system working still. It might just be the Windows PC instead of dual-booting Ubuntu/XP on the new machine.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 19:12   #1566
BHPian

Thanx Ginathom, My response is in bold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That is a wonderful amount of time to have used a computer: you certainly got your money's worth.

I certainly have. I spent an awful lot of money then. It costed me 57000/- in 2001. Would be equivalent to spending about 2,00,000 today (Given inflation / cost of machine v/s monthly salary).

An OEM copy of XP is supposed to be licensed specifically for one machine only. Interesting to hear comments on this, as I am about to do a new build too.

My understanding is that at any given time, you can use the OEM copy on one system. If you use it on a newly rigged / bought system, you cant, simultaneously use it on the old / original system, which might have gone kaput. One cannot be denied the use of OS that one has paid for.

My thinking for a new machine is to include USB3.0. You too want to make your new system last, so that is something to consider. I'm going for a board with integrated graphics, as I am neither a game player nor a film buff --- and adding an additional graphics adapter is always possible in the future if it is needed; that's probably good for you too.

Thanx, will keep in mind

It was going to be economical, but I'm throwing financial caution to the wind ...

I'm expecting this to knock me back about Rs.17,000 from Delta in Chennai. ...

The case, Antec P183, with CP850 power supply (review of combination), will cost more than the contents at about 18,000.

Not willing to spend 35k or thereabouts on CPU+MB+RAM and Cabinet+PS.
Need something more VFM. Waiting for more economical / bang for buck suggestions. Come on geeks.

-Navneet

Old 3rd October 2010, 20:39   #1567
Distinguished - BHPian

One thing I am spending a lot on is the case and PSU. That's just what I've decided to do; it isn't necessary.

Quote:
My understanding is that at any given time, you can use the OEM copy on one system. If you use it on a newly rigged / bought system, you cant, simultaneously use it on the old / original system, which might have gone kaput. One cannot be denied the use of OS that one has paid for.
Nope. That's why they stick the serial number on the case: licensed for that box only. That's why it is much cheaper than a full retail copy, which you can use on one single machine at a time for ever after.
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:50   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
9. I also want to continue using OEM Windows XP Home Edition, OS my present computer came with.
This would not be an issue for normal usage. It will validate itself during activation. Even if it does not, you can call Microsoft India and validate it manually.

Unless it has been activates in last couple of months, and total number of activations is reasonable. There would not be an issue.

Two suggestions for upgrade:

1. DO upgrade power supply. This is crucial since a bad supply kills components slowly.
2. For VFM, consider AMD based systems. For 14k you will get a 4 core processor, 4 GB RAM and a motherboards with decent "built-in" graphics.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 20:56   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This would not be an issue for normal usage. It will validate itself during activation. Even if it does not, you can call Microsoft India and validate it manually.
Oh, that is good news: I'll try it, certainly. I have got a couple of WinXP-Home OEM copies, only one of which was activated a couple of years back. That was for a new motherboard, too: I wondered how they did it, but it was installed and done for me.
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:28   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Two suggestions for upgrade:

1. DO upgrade power supply. This is crucial since a bad supply kills components slowly.
2. For VFM, consider AMD based systems. For 14k you will get a 4 core processor, 4 GB RAM and a motherboards with decent "built-in" graphics.
1. I will upgrade the power supply, any suggestions for a specific model?

2. Can you please give the model nos for MB & CPU, keeping my original post in mind? Will I be able to use everything else from my previous system?

Thanx.

-Navneet
Old 3rd October 2010, 21:56   #1571
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navneet View Post
1. I will upgrade the power supply, any suggestions for a specific model?

2. Can you please give the model nos for MB & CPU, keeping my original post in mind? Will I be able to use everything else from my previous system?

Thanx.

-Navneet
1. You can go for Corsair VX450, I guess it will be adequate for you. Costs ~3.7k. If you want to settle for something a bit cheaper, go for CoolerMaster.

2. I have a Gigabyte 875GMT which has USB 3.0 support and even supports DDR3 RAM. For the CPU, check the AMD Athlon II X4 635 which gives out 2.9ghz. It will cost you about 5.5k for the MB and about 5k for the CPU, maybe a bit cheaper in Delhi.
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 10:11   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Most new high power graphics cards use external power supply. If you plan to upgrade/install new graphics adapters, make sure that you power supply has power connectors for the card.

It is always good to have extra power in the supply. I have faced numerous glitches, which were finally attributed to the PS. Get a high power supply - 400 or 600 watt at the minimum. Modern power supplies consume very little power them selves, so if you are using 200W then even a 1000W supply will consume a shade over 200W. At the same time lack of power will result in lower voltages and mysterious errors (blue screen?). Money saved on PS is really not worth it.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:32   #1573
Distinguished - BHPian

I think I'm right in saying that a power supply only uses power according to the demands placed on it, so it is not that a high-wattage psu automatically means higher electricity bills.
Old 4th October 2010, 15:55   #1574
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I think I'm right in saying that a power supply only uses power according to the demands placed on it, so it is not that a high-wattage psu automatically means higher electricity bills.
i concur. i've a 1KVA PSU (Antec TPQ1000), but it doesn't pull all that 1KVA. also, it has a 80Plus rating - which means its more efficient.
IronH4WK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:19   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i concur. i've a 1KVA PSU (Antec TPQ1000), but it doesn't pull all that 1KVA. also, it has a 80Plus rating - which means its more efficient.
+1. I also have a 1000W PS, and going by my UPS load bar it is consuming only 400W in normal mode (dual quad Xeon+XFX graphics + 6 x HDD)! In fact my 3 monitor setup (2 x 24" + 1 *19" LCD) consumes upwards of 200W over and above that by the computer.