Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th February 2011, 16:16   #1801
Senior - BHPian

Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

If you are referring to a AVCHD file, I usually download a AVCHD iso movie of around 4.4 GB. Now since I do not have a compatible player, I usually have to convert it to DVD format. I open DVDfab platinum, and convert it to dvd. It makes a movie folder with audio_ts and video_ts. This takes around 20-25 mins on a core i7 920 (OC to 3.4 Ghz, but 30 mins on no OC). Then just open dvd shrink and make an iso and store/burn it with imgburn. I usually go this route and conversion to burnt dvd is 30-35 mins (20-25 mins for convert, 1-2 for dvdshrink, and 5-7 mins for imgburn). There might be a better way but I have not got around to it.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 16:27   #1802
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
If you are referring to a AVCHD file, I usually download a AVCHD iso movie of around 4.4 GB. Now since I do not have a compatible player, I usually have to convert it to DVD format. I open DVDfab platinum, and convert it to dvd. It makes a movie folder with audio_ts and video_ts. This takes around 20-25 mins on a core i7 920 (OC to 3.4 Ghz, but 30 mins on no OC). Then just open dvd shrink and make an iso and store/burn it with imgburn. I usually go this route and conversion to burnt dvd is 30-35 mins (20-25 mins for convert, 1-2 for dvdshrink, and 5-7 mins for imgburn). There might be a better way but I have not got around to it.
My source is usually a canon HF10. I stick the SD RAM into a car reader and dump it to the hard disk so it goes faster.

Ulead then covnerts and burns the file to hard disk at one go.

Do you have a link for that software you use? Would like to know if it is more efficient than Ulead.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 17:11   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What bothers me is when I starts a AVCHD file it takes an hour to process 4GB of SD RAM to a DVD. I would like to take this time down to 10-15 minutes.
Hey ! Video encoding, why did I not think of it earlier ?

AVCHD uses the H.264 codec. Intel's new Sandy Bridges, as I posted a few pages earlier, have a portion of the wafer solely dedicated to video transcoding. The feature's called quick sync, and it's like super-duper-wooper fast. Even high end graphics cards were no competition.

Besides, if video transcoding is your primary concern, powerful CPUs isn't the only way to go. Graphics cards, which happen to be far more powerful at processing than CPUs (owing to their parallel processing capabilities) also offer hardware based transcoding acceleration.

Anyway, I've posted a query at Toms forums, and will let you know.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 17:28   #1804
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Anku.

My current PC has a ATI 4800 Graphics card. I think it is a 4850 or 4870 but I forget now.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 17:33   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
What bothers me is when I starts a AVCHD file it takes an hour to process 4GB of SD RAM to a DVD. I would like to take this time down to 10-15 minutes.
Can you post a screenshot of task manager while this conversion is going on. That would tell us:

1. is CPU being utilized at max
2. Is Utilization uniform across cores

Can can shave off 10 - 15 minutes by software tweaks in current system if CPU is not fully utilized in current system.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2011, 18:21   #1806
BHPian

Quick Sync vs high end graphics cards

Quick Sync Vs. APP Vs. CUDA : Intel

The replies I got so far

Quote:
sorry but an Xeon will no have a increase in performance over the Desktop CPU they are based on. THey just come with Bit D etc.

And you will not find x4 the performance Of a C2QE.
Bench - CPU - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
You will cut times in half though so i recoment the 2600K
Quote:
I7 2600K all the way when it is available. XEONS are really nothing different then their I7 counterparts besides the fact that they can be used in dual CPU configs and also can take advantage of ECC RAM. These processors are more designed for servers to use less power and create less heat they are also made on a higher grade of silicon to ensure the highest reliability.
Quote:
I suspect the bottleneck is the SD Card. He should buy the fastest type available, and / or copy the subject file to a SSD for actual processing. Is this the kind of processing that Intel's new IGP handles better even than CUDA processing? If so, there's another part of the answer; if not I hope the GPU he bought can accelerate his work load. "Not being a gamer" and spending $300 on a graphics card is otherwise mindless, as he could stick to the IGP and put that money into a SSD or a RAID-0 array to speed up the job.
My reply

Quote:
1. So won't a Xeon with more cores/two physical processors provide better performance ? Or such Xeons cannot be had for the budget specified ?

2. Primary concern is making a DVD from a camcorder AVCHD file faster. Does writing a DVD from a AVCHD involve transcoding ? If yes, then would QuickSync or a GPU be helpful (Wikipedia says AVCHD uses MPEG-2/H.264 codec) ?

3. If transcoding is involved, how much performance gains can be expected from QuickSync/GPU accelerated transcoding over a Q9550 ?

4. So if he buys an i7 2600K, he wouldn't need a GPU to accelerate the transcoding, right ? QuickSync is more powerful, and if you use discrete graphics, softwares don't use/recognize QuickSync, right ?
The last reply seems to have some point. Although I forgot to mention that you do copy the file to your HDD, could you post a screenshot of device manager CPU utilisation tab, and also mention what HDD are you using currently ?

Last edited by anku94 : 11th February 2011 at 18:30.
Old 11th February 2011, 19:22   #1807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Hey ! Video encoding, why did I not think of it earlier ?

Intel's new Sandy Bridges, as I posted a few pages earlier, have a portion of the wafer solely dedicated to video transcoding. The feature's called quick sync, and it's like super-duper-wooper fast. Even high end graphics cards were no competition.
AFAIK, quicksync is quite good but requires no other graphic card. If one installs a graphic card, that feature is perhaps disabled, and so useless.
Old 17th February 2011, 19:28   #1808
Senior - BHPian

The official Windows 7 SP1 has been released to Technet/MSDN/volume licensing. Adds another 2 GB.

General availability through windows update will be on 22-Feb-2011.
Old 19th February 2011, 10:22   #1809
BHPian

Hi guys,

First to answer the above question my current laptop (bought in 2005 jan) is
Dell inspiron
intel P4 3.0 ghz processor
512 MB SD RAM at 533 mhz fsb
and a Whooping 30 gb hard disk (i still have 4 gb free space in it)
CD writer

and currently my monitor has some 20 odd lines
(laptop costed me $950)
So you guys now know what my problem is
Yes i want to upgrade it and i will be getting my laptop fron US through my friend.
Now the case is
Sony vaio F series is giving me the following config

core i7 740 qm processor
4 gb ddr3 ram @1333 mhz
350 gb hard disk @ 5400 rpm
512 mb nvidia 310m graphics card
cd / dvd burner
full keyboard (numeric keypad is separate)
and 16.4" monitor
for $870

Neither dell nor hp is matching the spec and price

Dell is giving me
core i7 740 qm
6 gb ddr3 ram @ 1333 mhz
2 gb nvidia graphics card
15" monitor
regular keyboard (no separate numeric keyboard)
jbl speakers
blu ray reader
320 gb hard disk @ 5400 rpm for $1150

while hp is offering

core i7 640 qm processor (slower one)
4 gb ddr3 @ 1333 mhz
512 mb nvidia graphics card
15" monitor
regular keyboard
cd dvd combo
750 gb hard disc @ 7200 rpm for $1200

Now based on my existing you experts can dedece that
1. i dont need huge hard disk
2. i wont upgrade for atleast 5 years
but i need
1. really fast pc (i7 is must)
2. budget is limited to $1000
3. blu ray is not required as i dont like to watch movies on small screen and i mostly prefer theatres
4. sound quality of speakers doesnt matter (i dont mind using headphones for listening to music or watching occasional movies)
5. i am going to install 3d modeling sofwares like catia and ideas and i will be working on those only apart from regular excel (so numeric keypad will be a benefit)

so
1. vaio suits me better
but upgrading to 320 gb @ 7200 rpm costm me additional $50, upgrading to 1 gb nvidi another $50 and upgrading to 6gb ddr3 ram another $100

now
1. Should i be okay with 4gb ram for the next 3 years atleast or should i upgrade to 6gb ram based on my requirements
2. should i go with 320 gb @ 5400 rpm or should i upgrade to 320 gb @ 7200 rpm
3. I will upgrade to 1 gb graphics card for sure
4. if money left i will plan for backlit keyboard ($25 extra - cmon its a vaio and you need to show off)

So guys please pour in your suggestions and i am planning to get it before march end.

thanks in advance
barathvajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 12:25   #1810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
so
1. vaio suits me better
but upgrading to 320 gb @ 7200 rpm costm me additional $50, upgrading to 1 gb nvidi another $50 and upgrading to 6gb ddr3 ram another $100

now
1. Should i be okay with 4gb ram for the next 3 years atleast or should i upgrade to 6gb ram based on my requirements
2. should i go with 320 gb @ 5400 rpm or should i upgrade to 320 gb @ 7200 rpm
3. I will upgrade to 1 gb graphics card for sure
4. if money left i will plan for backlit keyboard ($25 extra - cmon its a vaio and you need to show off)

So guys please pour in your suggestions and i am planning to get it before march end.

thanks in advance
First of all is Vio warranty valid in India, or do you plan to send it back to US for repairs?

If you are using design software then in the order of priority you need

1. Better 3D graphics card
2. RAM
3. HDD

Both RAM and the HDD can easily be procured and fitted from third party suppliers. If you are going to use 64bit OS and Catia & Ideas supports large memory models, please get 8GB RAM if supported as large modeling tasks would speed up considerably with more RAM.

An external USB2 750 HDD is quite reasonably priced, and I use it regularly. It is a much better proposition compared to increasing the HDD in the laptop, as a larger disk consumes more power, and an external disk need not be attached always.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 14:03   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
First of all is Vio warranty valid in India, or do you plan to send it back to US for repairs?

If you are using design software then in the order of priority you need

1. Better 3D graphics card
2. RAM
3. HDD

Both RAM and the HDD can easily be procured and fitted from third party suppliers. If you are going to use 64bit OS and Catia & Ideas supports large memory models, please get 8GB RAM if supported as large modeling tasks would speed up considerably with more RAM.

An external USB2 750 HDD is quite reasonably priced, and I use it regularly. It is a much better proposition compared to increasing the HDD in the laptop, as a larger disk consumes more power, and an external disk need not be attached always.

Thanks aroy,

I think the warranty should be valid in India. But I am not sure.

The OS is windows 64 bit home premium and it will be the only OS. No second OS.

If i upgrade to 8 gb ram, the additional cost is $200 so it exceeds my budget.

So if the ram can be upgraded later, i will get it upgraded later when the prices drop.

I think i shouldd stick to basic hard disk with 1 gb hard disk and 6gb ram with or without backlit
Old 19th February 2011, 14:21   #1812
BHPian

My goodness.

Just checked and found that dell has removed i7 processors from their xpx range and they have their laptops with i7 processors starting at $1300
Old 19th February 2011, 19:26   #1813
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
My goodness.

Just checked and found that dell has removed i7 processors from their xpx range and they have their laptops with i7 processors starting at $1300
It seems that the Dell you're checking out is the XPS 15. The shuffling in the lineup is due to the fact that they're getting ready to introduce the latest generation i3/i5/i7 processors (If a processor has a 3-digit model number, like i5 750, it is a first generation i5, and if it has 4 digits, like i5 2500, it is a second generation). So I'd advise you to wait, if you can. The latest generation offers substantial performance increase. If not that, it will bring the prices of the older generation down.

If it were to me, I'd go for the Dell XPS. Reason being it comes with Geforce 435M GPU, which is better than Geforce 310M which the Vaio ships with. And I believe this will help you in your modelling tasks. And with your upgrades and all, the Vaio is gonna end up somewhere close to the Dell's price. And 6GB RAM will come in handy for you.

EDIT : Dell India has this laptop at a similar price. And AFAIK, it's still available. You could buy from there.
Old 20th February 2011, 01:10   #1814
BHPian

I am having heating problems with my AMD Phenom II X4 925 and was suggest by quite a few people to ditch AMD and get Intell. I went to the market and found the i3 540 and i5 650 in my budget, saw their specs and they seem very much the same. The only difference is in the GHz, i3 being 3.1 and i5 being 3.2 but having a Turbo GHz of 3.5. Costs, the i3 costs like 5.5k and the i5 9.5k. What my question is, in the 4k difference really worth?
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 02:33   #1815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I am having heating problems with my AMD Phenom II X4 925 and was suggest by quite a few people to ditch AMD and get Intell. I went to the market and found the i3 540 and i5 650 in my budget, saw their specs and they seem very much the same. The only difference is in the GHz, i3 being 3.1 and i5 being 3.2 but having a Turbo GHz of 3.5. Costs, the i3 costs like 5.5k and the i5 9.5k. What my question is, in the 4k difference really worth?
1. Are you sure that the Phenom II is beyond salvage ? Nothing's wrong with AMD, and people who say otherwise are just ignorant. It will probably just take a reapplication of thermal paste to set it right. Or whatever, unless there's something seriously wrong, I believe the problem can be solved. Save your bucks.

2. The i5 650 is worthless. If you're willing to spend that much, there are two very attractive (not physically) processors you must consider.

a) i5 750/i5 760 : Quad core processors. Slight difference in clock rate between 750 and 760, 760 being better. Consider your budget and pick either. If the difference is a few hundred bucks, I'd consider the 760. Both should cost somewhere between 10k-11k. A very good alternative. Should serve you for years.

b) i5 2500K : Costs 11.5K. But it's blazingly fast. Faster than i7 920s, 940s blah blah. The negative is that it's recently launched, and a rare bug was found in the chipsets, due to which they are being recalled and new chipsets are being developed. Newer ones will be available by mid-march. If you can wait, this is the processor to go for. It's a beast.

3. If you are confident that nothing can be done about the Phenom, and are not willing to spend this much, go for the i3. The performance difference (b/w i3 540 and i5 650) is what it seems to be - negligible.

Last edited by anku94 : 20th February 2011 at 02:34.