Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 1st April 2011, 01:07   #1891
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

The cooler is a Noctua NH-C14, and it's fans are 140mm. The case fans are 120mm.

It is huge. It is a king-size super burger! I have to admit that I was taken aback when I opened the box. This is my first purchase of a non-stock cooler, and, apart from not having gone for something more exotic than air, I seem to have jumped in the deep end! Given that you thought my case fans were 90mm, that means the cooler is quite a lot bigger than you thought!

The aim is silence, rather than power.

The heatsink fans blow downwards onto the cpu and the memory. Both case fans suck air out of the case.

The airflow is a bit of conundrum. This type of blow-down cooler probably would be ideal in one of those cases with a huge fan on the side door, feeding it outside air to blow --- but the case itself is only a few months old, so I am not planning on changing that for several years!

At the moment, there is just about no noise from the heatsink fans, even under full load, but if that happens (it won't, much, but of course I had to simulate it) the case fans have to be turned right up. Well, ok, I didn't simulate it enough to see if the CPU temperature would stop rising, but I want the CPU to last a few years too!

At the moment, Mrs G is up late too, so there are two room fans on. I won't know, really, what noises this thing is producing until my usual solitary 1.00am sojourn tomorrow.

Here's another comparison with the stock cooler

Name:  coolers2.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  82.3 KB
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 04:55   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Can we know how much this config set you back by?
So far 53460 INR.
And that's not counting the keyboard / mice / speakers / ups / yada yada
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 11:36   #1893
Distinguished - BHPian

But it does include the monitor? Sounds good to me!

Apart from my ongoing hobby of making my machine quieter, the next thing on my wish-list is external USB3 storage. Oh... after the new multifunction printer...
Old 1st April 2011, 11:40   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The cooler is a Noctua NH-C14, and it's fans are 140mm. The case fans are 120mm.

It is huge. It is a king-size super burger! ...
That looks like a full fledged kitchen exhaust fan!

On another note, I find my AMD stock fan (Phenom XII 6) fairly silent when in cool & quiet mode (I was initially thinking it was noisy until I put it in this mode in BIOS). Even the two cabinet fans are ok too.

Are you sensitive even to that noise or yours is a little more noisy?
Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 13:49   #1895
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
you mean just 20mm makes it look that big?

Name:  noctua_nh_c14_0.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  43.9 KB

reminds me of Nat Geo Megastructures

Quote:
The aim is silence, rather than power.
it may be silent, but it's taking up a lot of real estate inside the case. at a later stage if you want to upgrade, say your graphics card - one of 'em newer dual-slot ones and an additional TV tuner card - then you'll be in trouble

Last edited by IronH4WK : 1st April 2011 at 13:54.
IronH4WK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 14:31   #1896
Distinguished - BHPian

The only upgrade this would obstruct would be adding memory with it's own high heat sink. This gives 38mm clearance only. Unlikely I'd want a big graphics card, but, if I did, there is a front fan location I could use to blow air onto it.

Yes, the extra 20mm diameter does make it seem that much bigger!

There are lots of airflow options available in the case. However good the heatsink is, it can only work with the air that is inside the box. I need to work on improving that flow without increasing the noise. If that is even possible: air does make noise when shifted through holes, and I think that is mostly what I am hearing now.

It doesn't even really matter: it's a pastime!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 1st April 2011 at 14:32.
Old 5th April 2011, 16:47   #1897
Senior - BHPian

My Laptop Configuration
Make : Compaq
Model : Presario CQ40 613AX
Processor : AMD Athlon Dual Core
RAM : 3GB DDR2
HDD : 320 GB
Graphics : 512MB ATI
Screen : 14"

PC at Home (Used by kids for gaming)
Make : Compaq
Model : Presario (No idea on exact model as it is 7 years old)
Processor : Intel P4
Mother Board : Asus
RAM : 1 GB (512+512MB) SDRAM
HDD : 120GB (80+40)
Monitor : 15" TFT + 17" CRT (CRT lying unused)
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 10:44   #1898
BHPian

Guys help me!
I'm getting a new laptop today. Its a Sony Vaio VPCEB44En with intel core i3, 3GB RAM, 320 GB hard disk and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics.

Has anyone used the ATI HD 5470 graphic card ?
Can anyone tell me how was their gaming experience in the HD 5470 ??

Also is it possible to upgrade my laptop's hard disk after some months or a year later ??
Please reply
Thanks!
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 20:13   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
Has anyone used the ATI HD 5470 graphic card ?
Can anyone tell me how was their gaming experience in the HD 5470 ??
It's a strictly mid-range graphics card. A lot of games should be playable at low-res and lowest settings, and low-demanding games will be a breeze. But experience with latest games will be strictly average.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Quote:
Also is it possible to upgrade my laptop's hard disk after some months or a year later ??
Yes, you can upgrade your hard disk later, if it's a 2.5" laptop HDD, which it is in 99% of the cases (Exception being some like Macbook Air, which uses custom designed flash memory, for which procuring higher-capacity modules might be different. But such cases are rare.)

EDIT : Checked the specs of the Vaio, and it's the standard hard disk. Which means it's replaceable.

Last edited by anku94 : 25th April 2011 at 20:15.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 20:38   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Planning to upgrade my 17" LCD from HP to 20" from Samsung. Just wanna know if Set top boxes from Airtel DTH or others have a VGA out wherein I can connect my 20" LCD to it and watch TV directly without a TV Tuner card?

Remember that my old Dish TV STB had a VGA out. Never tested it tho' and it is no longer with me now!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 22:01   #1901
Senior - BHPian

DTH boxes would have HDMI output.

You can connect that to DVI input of Monitor. You will have to connect PC / Laptop on VGA port of Monitor.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 23:37   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
It's a strictly mid-range graphics card. A lot of games should be playable at low-res and lowest settings, and low-demanding games will be a breeze. But experience with latest games will be strictly average.

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - Notebookcheck.net Tech
Hey thanks for the reply! The laptop will be arriving in a day or two.
I already have bought some games like NFS Shift 2 limited edition and Fifa 11. NFS and Fifa are the only games which I like to play on PC, rest all I play on my ps2 and psp.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 10:13   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Planning to upgrade my 17" LCD from HP to 20" from Samsung. Just wanna know if Set top boxes from Airtel DTH or others have a VGA out wherein I can connect my 20" LCD to it and watch TV directly without a TV Tuner card?

Remember that my old Dish TV STB had a VGA out. Never tested it tho' and it is no longer with me now!
My older normal Tata Sky has only component out. The new HD+ box comes with HDMI along with component. If you are upgrading your monitor evaluate the LG 23" Monitor/TV. An amazing monitor with enough I/O connectors to connect practically every thing - Component, VGA, HDMI, PS3 etc. LG M237WAP | 23" Flat Screen LCD Monitor & Monitor TV - LG Electronics India
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 12:25   #1904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post

I have the Old Airtel DTH box and have connected my 14 year old Viewsonic 13" via a TV Tuner card. I saw no other way. The box has a USB port, the purpose i fail to understand, it does not even charge an ipod properly(very low voltage I presume).
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 02:16   #1905
BHPian

Getting next week at work :

i7 extreme, 16gb, 1tb, 19" lcd. yay !!
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote