Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2011, 14:50   #1906
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Getting next week at work :

i7 extreme, 16gb, 1tb, 19" lcd. yay !!
Please Check if a 19" monitor gives HD resolution. If not get a 22/23" LCD which does, price differential is not much. An HD resolution will give you more "real estate" and is great for watching HD movies!
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 16:01   #1907
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,609
Thanked: 6,694 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
... and is great for watching HD movies!
You might have missed the important part of, "Getting next week at work."

Either that, or you have a really great job!

I'd say, if it's a wide-screen, watch out for the hight. It's all too easy to end up with a screen that feels smaller than a small CRT
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 17:39   #1908
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You might have missed the important part of, "Getting next week at work."

Either that, or you have a really great job!

I'd say, if it's a wide-screen, watch out for the hight. It's all too easy to end up with a screen that feels smaller than a small CRT
My fault. But still more real estate is always welcome, especially as it comes at a very low cost.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 17:50   #1909
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'd say, if it's a wide-screen, watch out for the hight. It's all too easy to end up with a screen that feels smaller than a small CRT
I just love having two wide-screen monitors side by side. Just have to change them to portrait mode .

Makes document a lot easier to read.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2011, 18:16   #1910
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,097
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I just love having two wide-screen monitors side by side. Just have to change them to portrait mode .

Makes document a lot easier to read.
I have three, two of them 24" 1920x1200 and one 19" 1280x1024. It just rocks when I do CAD or GIS.

Regarding Portrait Mode, it is a pain on these large monitors as on the wide screen 24" you can view two A4 size documents side by side at 100% scaling (these monitors are larger than ISO A3 sheet). On smaller monitors portrait mode is fine.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 16:38   #1911
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re:Urgent Help on the Configuration.

Guys,
Need quick advice on deciding the new PC.
My OLD p4 3.0 GHz with Intel 915 Mobo, PC crashed last week, Mother Board was the culprit.
Now i Dont want to change MoBo and use the same Config as it quite Old now.
I have decided on AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Processor. But dont know which is the Best Board, so Following queries.
1> Power Supply ..?
2> Cabinate..?
3> RAM..?
4> Good Mother Board..?
Rest of the things i can retain from my current setup.
My Budget is Max 20K can be increased by max 2-3K.
Also please let me know which is the best mid range Graphics Card.

Thanks in advance.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 19:23   #1912
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 236
Thanked: 129 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

1. 955 is an old processor, so bear that in mind when buying. It's more than adequate for day-to-day work (overkill) but should be cheap, around the 7k mark.

2. I'm using an Asus 880G board, the M4A88TD-EVO (gotta love their names, took me a minute to recall the whole thing). Asus support is terrible, so stick with an equivalent from Gigabyte. Boards will start at about 5k and go to about 7k, depending on features.

3. I would use nothing less than a corsair CX400, or a GS500 for all but the smallest systems. That's about 3.5k.

4. Pretty much any memory is good enough, you should get 4GB of DDR3 memory for about 3-3.5k nowadays, and about 4k for 'performance' memory. Doesn't make sense to shell out more if you're looking for home usage with no overclocking.

5. You should use the old cabinet, though for about 2k you can get the Coolermaster Elite series, little flimsy but should be fine for a basic build.

6. Unsure about the graphics card question till you clarify why you think you'll need one.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 19:43   #1913
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: Urgent Help on the Configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Guys,
Need quick advice on deciding the new PC.
My OLD p4 3.0 GHz with Intel 915 Mobo, PC crashed last week, Mother Board was the culprit.
Now i Dont want to change MoBo and use the same Config as it quite Old now.
I have decided on AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Processor. But dont know which is the Best Board, so Following queries.
1> Power Supply ..?
2> Cabinate..?
3> RAM..?
4> Good Mother Board..?
Rest of the things i can retain from my current setup.
My Budget is Max 20K can be increased by max 2-3K.
Also please let me know which is the best mid range Graphics Card.

Thanks in advance.
Consider this alternative.

Processor : Core i3 2100 (Costs some 4k-5k-6k)

Although it's a dual-core, it's based on the much superior Sandy Bridge architecture, which, makes it perform better than the Phenom 955 in most of the cases. And you can upgrade to i5 2400 (Costs 9.5k) later (if you ever desire to), which has much more processing power than you'll need for the next five years.

The Phenom series is on its deathbed. AMD will introduce Bulldozer in less than a month, whereas Sandy Bridge is Intel's latest architecture.

As for the graphics card, here is a guide you can blindly follow.

Best Graphics Cards For The Money: April 2011 : April Updates

Although keep in mind that the prices in India are about 30 % higher than (US price in $)*45.

As for the PSU, go for a quality one. I reckon 450W-550W should suffice for your needs (unless you plan to add high end graphics card later). Consider Corsair, CoolerMaster, Antec, Seasonic etc. It should cost atleast 2.5k. Anything lower and the quality will be flimsy.

Since you are on budget, as cranky said, a Cooler Master Elite (310, I guess) would be a good buy for you.

And oh yeah, as for the motherboard, there is only one Intel H67 sandy bridge motherboard available in India, and it costs about Rs. 5k. Could look up the model number if you want.

Hope this helped.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2011, 19:48   #1914
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 755
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Urgent Help on the Configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Guys,
Need quick advice on deciding the new PC.
My OLD p4 3.0 GHz with Intel 915 Mobo, PC crashed last week, Mother Board was the culprit.
Now i Dont want to change MoBo and use the same Config as it quite Old now.
I have decided on AMD Phenom 2 X4 955 Processor. But dont know which is the Best Board, so Following queries.
1> Power Supply ..?
2> Cabinate..?
3> RAM..?
4> Good Mother Board..?
Rest of the things i can retain from my current setup.
My Budget is Max 20K can be increased by max 2-3K.
Also please let me know which is the best mid range Graphics Card.

Thanks in advance.
The 955 is a BE, i.e Black Edition. Black Editions are the ones which can be easily overclocked. If you won't do any overclocking, you can save quite a few bucks and go for the following config.

Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 840 - 4,950.
Power Supply: Corsair VX450 - 3400 or Corsair CX400 - 2400
Cabinet: CoolerMaster Elite 310 - 1600
RAM: Corsair 2*2GB DDRIII - 2100
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H- 3400
GFX Card: Sapphire ATI Raedon HD5670 512MB GDDR5 - 4400

Buy it from Lamington Road for the best prices. PrimeABGB, CasetteWorld or TheITWares.
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 08:38   #1915
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Ok, I did a little more research, and found out that while both Core i3 2100 and Phenom II X4 955 are more or less equal, they have their advantages of each other in some areas.

If gaming is gonna be your most CPU-intensive job, go for Core i3.

If you are gonna be doing something like encoding etc., something that needs and can take advantage of four cores, go for Phenom II X4.

Besides, you can get an AMD motherboard cheaper, but future upgradability remains a concern.

Core i3-2100 vs Phenom II X4 955 - Neowin Forums

Phenom II X4 955 or Core i3-2100 - CPUs - CPU-Components

The Sandy Bridge Review: Intel Core i7-2600K, i5-2500K and Core i3-2100 Tested - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 12:48   #1916
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Thanks lot Guys for your Valuable Inputs,
After Lots or Reserch and your Inputs, went to Lamigton Road and Brought, but still not aseembled yet.
Finally i5 2400 Following are the details.
1> Core i5 2400 9.1K
2> 4 Gb Ram Corsair 1633 Mhz (Will it be compatable)
3> MoBo DH67BL Intel 5.6K
4> SMPS VIP 600 Watt 2.6K
5> Cooler Master Elite 430 2.5K
6> Kayboard Mouse Logitech MK-260 .65K (As MoBO has no PS2 Connections)


Now i have one more doubt, Is this RAM Will be compatable for the Mother Board as MoBo has max FBS 1333 Mhz

Also find the Useful Link.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/88?vs=363

Last edited by parimal_g : 4th May 2011 at 12:49. Reason: Editing the link
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:01   #1917
BHPian
 
anku94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 225
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Thanks lot Guys for your Valuable Inputs,
After Lots or Reserch and your Inputs, went to Lamigton Road and Brought, but still not aseembled yet.
So you went for the i5 2400! Best decision you could make.

I think you won't have a problem running that RAM in your motherboard, the RAM will just run slower (i.e. @ 1333 MHz).

Although if you still can, I'd recommend changing the PSU. VIP is a brand that yields no results on googling, which is not a good sign.
anku94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:52   #1918
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,177
Thanked: 1,096 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

VIP is a local bombay brand. It is best avoided. You'd do well to buy a corsair VX400 or something similar.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 14:43   #1919
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
So you went for the i5 2400! Best decision you could make.

I think you won't have a problem running that RAM in your motherboard, the RAM will just run slower (i.e. @ 1333 MHz).

Although if you still can, I'd recommend changing the PSU. VIP is a brand that yields no results on googling, which is not a good sign.
Actually My Earlier PC had VIP 400 Watts Power Supply and it work too good, almost 6Yrs no issues.

Hope RAM Will work properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
VIP is a local bombay brand. It is best avoided. You'd do well to buy a corsair VX400 or something similar.
YEs but in Mumbai its reputation is very good,
SMPS Series :: VIP Computer Cabinets & Input devices :: KPPL

But now after seeing the Pic of the SMPS i can sence a Problem, as the Cabinet has SMPS Slot at bottom and even SMPS has fan downwards hope it will not create any issues.
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 15:02   #1920
BHPian
 
parimal_g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 435
Thanked: 174 Times
Default Re: Urgent Help on the Configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
The 955 is a BE, i.e Black Edition. Black Editions are the ones which can be easily overclocked. If you won't do any overclocking, you can save quite a few bucks and go for the following config.
Processor: AMD PhenomII X4 840 - 4,950.
Power Supply: Corsair VX450 - 3400 or Corsair CX400 - 2400
Cabinet: CoolerMaster Elite 310 - 1600
RAM: Corsair 2*2GB DDRIII - 2100
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H- 3400
GFX Card: Sapphire ATI Raedon HD5670 512MB GDDR5 - 4400
Buy it from Lamington Road for the best prices. PrimeABGB, CasetteWorld or TheITWares.
Configuration changed, i got it from SUNTRAC Systems, but no moeny left for the Graphics card.., but dont know which is the Best any suggetions..?
parimal_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding sub+amp to this configuration -> feasable? DCEite In-Car Entertainment 10 28th October 2010 01:12
Configuration For Multitasking PC MADMAX111 Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 27th March 2008 10:28
ICE For My Pajero... is this Configuration Ok ?? Tool In-Car Entertainment 52 30th January 2008 12:33
A Vehicle Configuration Information System Venkatesh.C Technical Stuff 11 20th September 2007 13:52
Configuration for Tata Safari lastmanstanding In-Car Entertainment 13 17th June 2006 10:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks