Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th February 2012, 18:17   #2206
BHPian

Default re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I was living with this problem for past two years...
Thanks!
Nice support by HP. The tech. might have been aware of this (service bulletin) & hence, promptly did this.

Western Digital is recommended by most manufacturers due to rick solid reliability.

Is the HDD WD Caviar Green?
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 20:36   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Is the HDD WD Caviar Green?
No it is Caviar Blue.

Last edited by bluevolt : 4th February 2012 at 20:38.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 22:04   #2208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
No it is Caviar Blue.
I have the same. It has been rock solid reliable since the past 3 years(it has been powered on for 7748 hours & power cycled 2800 times) . The new Caviar Greens have head park problem bug in the firmware that can be resolved with a small fix.

Expect good startup times of OS & generally a more responsive system after the 'upgrade'.
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2012, 18:05   #2209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
My little build has begun!! (Ignore the 2GB stick..lol)

I'm amazed at how cheap RAM is these days!! 16GB of 1600Mhz DDR3 was $117!

cya
R
HI Rehaan ,

Nice setup there. Just one question . I am thinking of building a IN house R & D setup . right now setup i am thinking of is

Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)
Intel® Desktop Board DZ68BC or ASUS P8Z68V-pro gen - 3
Corsair RAM 16 GB
Cooler Master Storm Enforcer OR 690 II Cabine .

Above is Basic for the time being and will add more with time .

question is that although Mother Board Supports 32 GB , i cannot add 32 as it has only 4 DIMM slots and max available in Nehru place is 4 GB Per piece. Which limits me to 16 GB . Does corsair supplies 16 GB In single memory module ???

If yes , Where can i get it .Can it be ordered Online on their US website and delivered to India or any Indian retailer is there for corsair.
.sushilkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 17:04   #2210
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone tell me the price (preferably Mumbai-Pune) of HAF 922/932, Asus Sabertooth X58 and a good 700/800 watts psu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
question is that although Mother Board Supports 32 GB , i cannot add 32 as it has only 4 DIMM slots and max available in Nehru place is 4 GB Per piece. Which limits me to 16 GB . Does corsair supplies 16 GB In single memory module ???
Can you tell us why are you planning to go with 16GB of RAM? Which applications are you planning to use?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 8th February 2012 at 17:10.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 20:57   #2211
BHPian

Quote:
HI Rehaan ,

If yes , Where can i get it .Can it be ordered Online on their US website and delivered to India or any Indian retailer is there for corsair.
Nice setup there. If you are interested in brands other than Corsair, then GSkill has 8GBx4 for 34k.

Buy Gskill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL RAM in Mumbai India

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can anyone tell me the price (preferably Mumbai-Pune) of HAF 922/932, Asus Sabertooth X58 and a good 700/800 watts psu?
HAF 922 costs ~6.6k and HAF 932 costs ~9.4k at Lamington Road, Mumbai. The Asus Sabertooth costs ~12.5k. Regarding the PSU, go for Corsair. Their budget range (Enthusiast series) will cost you 6.2k and the HX series will make your wallet lighter by 8.5k.

Last edited by prateekm : 8th February 2012 at 21:02.
prateekm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 21:04   #2212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Nice setup there. If you are interested in brands other than Corsair, then GSkill has 8GBx4 for 34k.

Buy Gskill F3-12800CL10Q-32GBXL RAM in Mumbai India
thanks for the Info prateek. I guess pricey at 34 k . Will check out with my source in nehru place again and see if he can source it for less .

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Can you tell us why are you planning to go with 16GB of RAM? Which applications are you planning to use?
will Use it for practicing some cloud computing R & D . i guess i did PM you the source of all the prices , we get in nehru place.

Another imp part of build is cooling. need suggestions for same as well .
Old 8th February 2012, 22:32   #2213
BHPian

^^ I'm putting together a watercooling system myself with two GPUs, a CPU and two radiators in the loop.

Both silent and cool. Ready kits aren't usually particularly quiet, but get the job done. The Corsair H60 and the Antec Kuhler are decent places to start looking, and those are available locally.
cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 13:18   #2214
BHPian

I've been aired a SOS from a business man staying in rural India and need your help guys. I'm not too good with networking jargon and all.

This guy runs a transport business for coal movement and has been printing invoice books for receipts and material recording of each truck utilized. He's now secured a larger deal and wants assistance in computerizing his whole operations. An office has been set up with an accountant and logistics manager

Now each of the above are going to be making entries of inward and outward movement in payments and commodity respectively - independent of each others actions. On average the total number of transactions is 400/day .

Now sharma wants to integrate the recording of both actions on his own computer setup in his office room to both for data and for him being able to review even during after office hours.

1) What config option is best -
#1 system with just remote access of each user with a screen and keyboard or...
# 3 systems with remote software since he wants all the date to record on his setup.
2) budget is 60k-70k all inclusive .
3) whats the best software(free?) in India for such purposes so that invoicing and gate receipt notes are integrated.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 10th February 2012 at 13:21.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 13:46   #2215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
This is risky for small businesses. Reason is, usually broadband connections are not stable enough for this to work in business environment. Printer would have to be in remote offices, so cost of remote terminals would not be insignificant.

A web based solution that can work with slower net connections would be preferable.

Quote:
3) whats the best software(free?) in India for such purposes so that invoicing and gate receipt notes are integrated.
WebERP software is free and can be used for this purpose.

Cost:

2 Printers : 10k
3 PCs : 60k
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 13:47   #2216
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nope, i've never seen a 16GB memory module. I don't think such a thing exists for consumer desktops.

An alternative is to change your config and get a MoBo/chipset that has 6 DIMM slots (I'm not sure what the options are). That way you can get 24GB with the cheaper 4GB sticks. Or maybe 16GB now (4x4GB) and then add 2x8GB later ? But is having this much ram so important?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th February 2012 at 13:54.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 14:13   #2217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
This is risky for small businesses. Reason is, usually broadband connections are not stable enough for this to work in business environment. Printer would have to be in remote offices, so cost of remote terminals would not be insignificant.

A web based solution that can work with slower net connections would be preferable.

WebERP software is free and can be used for this purpose.

Cost:

2 Printers : 10k
3 PCs : 60k
Thanks netfreak , any specific config on the PC's like "workstations" are required or just the run of mill ones are sufficient. besides, i was thinking more in line of non internet based lan-cable kind of networked setup would be best option. Shows how much i know . How about Microsoft Access ? seems like that can do the job as per youtube video samples.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 14:15   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nope, i've never seen a 16GB memory module. I don't think such a thing exists for consumer desktops.

An alternative is to change your config and get a MoBo/chipset that has 6 DIMM slots (I'm not sure what the options are). That way you can get 24GB with the cheaper 4GB sticks. Or maybe 16GB now (4x4GB) and then add 2x8GB later ? But is having this much ram so important?

cya
R
HI Rehaan

8 GB Ram is available but pricey at 34 K for 4 . I was not aware that desktop M/B do come with 6 DIMM slots. anyways i am headed to Nehru place market this weekend and find out if i can find one. there is no specific reason in going for 32 GB but i hate to do add in later on as this will only increase my cost when i want to pump more RAM, so better i start with Fullest possible config .
Old 10th February 2012, 15:48   #2219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been aired a SOS from a business man staying in rural India and need your help guys. I'm not too good with networking jargon and all.

Now each of the above are going to be making entries of inward and outward movement in payments and commodity respectively - independent of each others actions. On average the total number of transactions is 400/day .

# 3 systems with remote software since he wants all the date to record on his setup.
2) budget is 60k-70k all inclusive .
I would also suggest a web based solution
- Server running the required software in the head office. Alternatively the application can also be hosted on server farm of a US provider.
- Web based terminals. Can be PC, Laptop or even Android Phones. I prefer portable units - Phones for such applications.
- For remote areas (or even to mobile user) access to Web is easily provided by GPRS/3G phone(or dongle)

Though the Software may be free, writing and implementing the application is not.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 16:15   #2220
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks netfreak , any specific config on the PC's like "workstations" are required or just the run of mill ones are sufficient. besides, i was thinking more in line of non internet based lan-cable kind of networked setup would be best option.
Almost any PC would do. LAN based solution would work only if all offices are very close to each other.

Quote:
How about Microsoft Access ? seems like that can do the job as per youtube video samples.
Access can do the Job, but would require some work to set it up. Some templates are:

Inventory management database - Templates - Office.com

This can be a pragmatic solution. Remote offices can use MS Access to print passes and accountant to manually enter the same transaction into Tally.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote