Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2015, 13:57   #2941
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,845
Thanked: 9,652 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Smallish question.

Had 4 gigs of RAM and upgrade to 8 now. But still system doesn't show much improvement - as in, apps still take time to load, system still loads in the same speeds. Anything that can be done to improve it?

Increased RAM since games were a little sluggish but it has been the same.
Naveen, you need to invest in an SSD IMO. Addresses all your issues. The OS loads much much faster, games, .pdfs, Lightroom etc. opens instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Running Windblows 7 Ultimate.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 17:13   #2942
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 125
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

^^^
I second this suggestion, SSD gives a HUGE improvement and your machine becomes superfast.

256 GB SSD costs somewhat around 7 to 8K Rs.

Your machine startup time, shutdown time, application loading, office apps(word, excel) saving everything becomes blazing fast.

I recently purchased a new laptop (ASUS, 11.6 inch, i3, 4 GB RAM) and replaced its HDD with SSD(probably voided warrenty in process). My laptop startsup in less than 15seconds, shuts down in less than 10 sec. - I have installed win 7 ultimate and Ubuntu 14.04

I am sure your machine with 8 GB RAM may even reach better performance levels.

BTW, hope your win 7 is a 64 bit version, as 32 bit version will not be able to utilize more that 3 GB RAM.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 17:36   #2943
BHPian
 
im_srini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Portland
Posts: 956
Thanked: 366 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Question Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Increased RAM since games were a little sluggish but it has been the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Naveen, you need to invest in an SSD IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
I second this suggestion, SSD gives a HUGE improvement and your machine becomes superfast.
I recently purchased a new laptop (ASUS, 11.6 inch, i3, 4 GB RAM) and replaced its HDD with SSD (probably voided warranty in process).
Hi, sort of in a similar situation as Naveen, have a rather old Inspiron N5010 laptop which's showing it's age.

Thinking of 'Turbo'ing it with an SSD & using the stock HDD in place of the Blu-Ray Drive.

From what I understand the procedure's as follows :

A) Get an Optical-Drive caddy for the N5010
B) Get an HDD caddy for the N5010
C) Get an SSD
C) Swap out the Optical-Drive with the Optical-Drive caddy + SSD
D) Clone the Boot & OS partitions in the stock HDD on the SSD
E) Replace the stock HDD with the HDD caddy + SSD
F) Use the Optical-Drive caddy + HDD in place of the Optical-Drive

Is this correct ? Any 'tips' from folks who've done this before ?

Thanks
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2015, 18:33   #2944
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 125
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, sort of in a similar situation as Naveen, have a rather old Inspiron N5010 laptop which's showing it's age.

Thinking of 'Turbo'ing it with an SSD & using the stock HDD in place of the Blu-Ray Drive.

From what I understand the procedure's as follows :

A) Get an Optical-Drive caddy for the N5010
B) Get an HDD caddy for the N5010
C) Get an SSD
C) Swap out the Optical-Drive with the Optical-Drive caddy + SSD
D) Clone the Boot & OS partitions in the stock HDD on the SSD
E) Replace the stock HDD with the HDD caddy + SSD
F) Use the Optical-Drive caddy + HDD in place of the Optical-Drive

Is this correct ? Any 'tips' from folks who've done this before ?

Thanks
Hope you know which screws to open and where is hard disk is located. Else search the You Tube and find out.

Another alternative is to get a USB casing for your existing HDD and use it a as an external drive. This may be cheaper than Optical Drive Caddy, and also you get to keep your Blue Ray drive.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 01:15   #2945
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,950
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

My 5 year old laptop has a tough time video rendering and RAW processing.
Thinking of the following config
Intel 4790 - 21K
Motherboard ?? - 9K (Need something future proof so later I can go for something faster if needed)
Graphics card - 8K (Entry level is okay, Radeon R7 260X?)
RAM 8GB - 4.8K
Monitor 1080P - 8500
Cabinet - Simple - 1K
500W power supply - 2K? 400W enough I guess?
Keyboard + Mouse = 1K
4TB HDD - 10K
125GB SSD - 5K
DVD writer 1K

Total : Around 70,000 ODD

If I want to get it down to around 50-55K, where can I save up?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2015, 03:49   #2946
SLK
Senior - BHPian
 
SLK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: DL XX XX XXXX
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 185 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My 5 year old laptop has a tough time video rendering and RAW processing.
Thinking of the following config
Intel 4790 - 21K
Motherboard ?? - 9K (Need something future proof so later I can go for something faster if needed)
Graphics card - 8K (Entry level is okay, Radeon R7 260X?)
RAM 8GB - 4.8K
Monitor 1080P - 8500
Cabinet - Simple - 1K
500W power supply - 2K? 400W enough I guess?
Keyboard + Mouse = 1K
4TB HDD - 10K
125GB SSD - 5K
DVD writer 1K

Total : Around 70,000 ODD

If I want to get it down to around 50-55K, where can I save up?
Processor - AMD FX 8350 and the likes are pretty good.
Graphics card - entry level will be only 3-5k
Cabin - at least 2.5k for a reasonable one
PSU/SMPS - With today's PCs take 650W at least. budget 3.5-4k.
Mobo - Try this with AMD

Unfortunately Intel's not worth the price.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 13:54   #2947
BHPian
 
Arch-Angel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chn(Atrocity)
Posts: 552
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

I would say intel pays off in the long run since i usually buy pcs and dont care about upgrades for like 3-4 years. AMD starts to show its age at around 3 years mark. My good friend and myself had the same build. The new one i managed to build myself costed me 75k quid just for the cpu/motherboard/graphics card and this is an intel configuration. Trust me, in the higher brackets, amd has a fx 9590 which consumes around 220W of power on average and yet gets handed its backside by intel's offering which consumes 88W of power (i7 4790k) and performs a lot cooler. I would recommend AMD for people on a tight budget and intel for people who want serious horsepower. @TSK sir: You could pick an i5 and an even cheaper motherboard for you to have appreciable savings but trust me, the 4790k makes a very good statement in every way possible. Please to get it if you can.
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 15:47   #2948
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, sort of in a similar situation as Naveen, have a rather old Inspiron N5010 laptop which's showing it's age.

Thinking of 'Turbo'ing it with an SSD & using the stock HDD in place of the Blu-Ray Drive.
I did it 2 years back on a Dell XPS15 (Sep 2011). Got this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

Then put a 120GB SSD Intel 520 into the primary slot and a new Seagate 1TB SSHD in the ODD conversion tray.

So far in 2 years, no issues at all. Use a portable ODD for the rare occasion when I need a ODD. I have a desktop which has a ODD anyway so I do not miss the ODD in the laptop.

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th April 2015 at 15:50.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 16:14   #2949
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 22,318
Thanked: 22,369 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
My 5 year old laptop has a tough time video rendering and RAW processing.
...
...
If I want to get it down to around 50-55K, where can I save up?
Firstly - I'd say you need to check if the graphics card will actually speed up your processes of video rendering & RAW processing in the programs you use.

I learned the hard way that adding a GFX card isn't really all it's cut out to be.

Even when softwares say that they do utilize the GFX card, it is just for particular functions/transforms, and not others -- so the overall improvement is barely felt.

When it comes to video encoding, the i7 claims to be pretty damn good already (H264). Then again, it depends on what codec you plan to encode to.

For video rendering, again, it depends on what effects you've used. Eg. if you use Sharpen, a gfx card will help. But if you use Unsharp Mask, it will do diddly squat.

Premiere indicates which effects will benefit from a (supported) Gfx card by showing this icon:
Name:  gfx Capture.PNG
Views: 365
Size:  24.3 KB

So i guess what I'm saying is, consider saving 8k by skipping the Gfx card. It can always be added later.

Also, maybe save 1-2k by going for a 64GB SSD instead of a 128GB one?

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th April 2015 at 16:15.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 16:26   #2950
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,175
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

How is PrimeABGB online these days.

I bought a cooler and SSD from them in late 2013, and it was delivered to Delhi in around 24-30 hours of order placing. Could not be more pleased.

Then in mid-2014, I ordered a CM case but that took a month. However, they were kind enough to inform me that the item was out of stock and I could either take a refund or wait for restocking and delivery. I did not take a refund and instead waited a month for the cabinet. Not much complaining but wish their website was in sync with their stock position.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2015, 16:53   #2951
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,950
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Firstly - I'd say you need to check if the graphics card will actually speed up your processes of video rendering & RAW processing in the programs you use.
..
..

Also, maybe save 1-2k by going for a 64GB SSD instead of a 128GB one?
Yes, GFX card won't help. That is why I was gravitating towards i7 instead if AMD
As for GFX, I figured, if I am buying a PC, why not play some games .
I am okay with a 8K graphics card which can play games in 1080p in medium rez.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 11:17   #2952
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,950
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Processor - AMD FX 8350 and the likes are pretty good.
Graphics card - entry level will be only 3-5k
Cabin - at least 2.5k for a reasonable one
PSU/SMPS - With today's PCs take 650W at least. budget 3.5-4k.
Mobo - Try this with AMD

Unfortunately Intel's not worth the price.
Unfortunately, for photo processing and video encoding (H.264 + frame render for timelapse) i7 just runs rings around the 8350.
I know benchmarks can be misleading, but this is a known fact that lightroom batch processing is about 1.5X faster with an i7 for around 7000 more than the 8350.
Ditto for Xvid as H.264
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 18:01   #2953
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Unfortunately, for photo processing and video encoding (H.264 + frame render for timelapse) i7 just runs rings around the 8350.
I know benchmarks can be misleading, but this is a known fact that lightroom batch processing is about 1.5X faster with an i7 for around 7000 more than the 8350.
Ditto for Xvid as H.264
If you want to do a lot of Video processing a faster multi core processor is a must. Other wise you will spend an hour encoding 20 min video.

The XEON throughput is even faster for encoding Videos. My 7 year old Dual Quad Xeon (8 cores total), out paces the latest and fastest I7.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2015, 18:28   #2954
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,950
Thanked: 15,632 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If you want to do a lot of Video processing a faster multi core processor is a must. Other wise you will spend an hour encoding 20 min video.

The XEON throughput is even faster for encoding Videos. My 7 year old Dual Quad Xeon (8 cores total), out paces the latest and fastest I7.
But Xeons are frightfully expensive!
So I am actually thinking of going down to I5-4440 to save cost.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2015, 18:52   #2955
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2,122
Thanked: 995 Times
Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But Xeons are frightfully expensive!
So I am actually thinking of going down to I5-4440 to save cost.
They may seem to be frightfully expensive, but they last and last and last. They also come with ECC memory and other goodies, which are lacking in normal processors. In fact most of the "Work Station" grade desktops are based on single and dual Xeon.

Any way, even after 7 years, my Xeon is still going strong and matchges and at times beats the current crop of processors.
Aroy is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding sub+amp to this configuration -> feasable? DCEite In-Car Entertainment 10 28th October 2010 01:12
Configuration For Multitasking PC MADMAX111 Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 27th March 2008 10:28
ICE For My Pajero... is this Configuration Ok ?? Tool In-Car Entertainment 52 30th January 2008 12:33
A Vehicle Configuration Information System Venkatesh.C Technical Stuff 11 20th September 2007 13:52
Configuration for Tata Safari lastmanstanding In-Car Entertainment 13 17th June 2006 10:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks