Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th August 2016, 11:32   #3001
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Computer & Configuration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey guys, I need some help building a PC but Ive been out of touch with my hardware knowledge so I need a bit of help as Im getting a bit confused.

The PC is required for designing in ExoCAD, a Dental version of CAD. Budget is around 70K all inclusive, monitor, Windows etc

A decent Processor and Graphics card is a must. Previous Gen hardware is also fine.

The recommended hardware is as follows from the softwares website

CPU : i7 2600
RAM : 6 GB
GPU : GTX 560
Windows 7 64 BIT

Can you guys give me a complete set of hardware that is atleast a bit above this ?
RAM I would prefer 8GB+, monitor 20in+ 1080p, HDD, maybe 120GB SSD for OS and 1TB for storage.
Appreciate any help TBHP can give
. RAM is cheap so get 8 to 16GB
. I prefer dual monitor setup for CAD, so look for 2 x 24" HD
. 1TB is low or today. Get at least 2TB, two if finances permit
. If you have to give CD to client, then get a DVD writer, they are quite inexpensive
. The power supply will depend on the graphics card, some require an extra power to the card. A safe bet is 500W PS
. Unless you do 3D CAD and/or play advanced games, you really do not need a high end graphics card for 2D. Just make sure that it can support two monitors at high resolution - 4K/UHD
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016, 18:05   #3002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
. RAM is cheap so get 8 to 16GB
. I prefer dual monitor setup for CAD, so look for 2 x 24" HD
. 1TB is low or today. Get at least 2TB, two if finances permit
. If you have to give CD to client, then get a DVD writer, they are quite inexpensive
. The power supply will depend on the graphics card, some require an extra power to the card. A safe bet is 500W PS
. Unless you do 3D CAD and/or play advanced games, you really do not need a high end graphics card for 2D. Just make sure that it can support two monitors at high resolution - 4K/UHD
-Yes the plan is for 8-16GB
-Dual monitors not required currently and not in budget. A single 24in monitor is good enough
-Yes will require a DVD writer
-1TB is enough for now. That will be for storage. Windows + Software will be on a separate small SSD
- Looking at a good good 600-650W PS and a UPS for emergencies
- I will be doing 3D modelling but I wont be rendering or animating anything so a good bang for buck mid range gfx card. Dont need 4k as 1080p is enough.

Im looking for a list of components that match my requirements as Im not currently well informed by compatible RAM, chipsets, processors. Any help will be appreciated on a complete config. As mentioned, last gen parts will also do fine
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 10:16   #3003
Senior - BHPian

2TB is VFM compared to 1TB. In case you use it only for storage, get the 5400 RPM drives. They are not only cheaper but last longer.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 10:25   #3004
BHPian

I would throw in one other item that people tend to ignore.

Get the best SMPS you can get. I have had way too many give up on me and cause collateral damage to the comp.
keroo1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2016, 10:53   #3005
BHPian

Quote:
-Yes the plan is for 8-16GB
-Dual monitors not required currently and not in budget. A single 24in monitor is good enough
-Yes will require a DVD writer
-1TB is enough for now. That will be for storage. Windows + Software will be on a separate small SSD
- Looking at a good good 600-650W PS and a UPS for emergencies
- I will be doing 3D modelling but I wont be rendering or animating anything so a good bang for buck mid range gfx card. Dont need 4k as 1080p is enough.

Im looking for a list of components that match my requirements as Im not currently well informed by compatible RAM, chipsets, processors. Any help will be appreciated on a complete config. As mentioned, last gen parts will also do fine
Intel skylake 6 gen is the best processor around. i3 6100 is slightly lower in performance to i7 2600 but more efficient. It is also the latest CPU with Windows 7 support .

So approx prices:

i3 skylake 8.4 k
i5 skylake 14-15k
Basic motherboard : 5k
ddr4 RAM 8 Gb: 2.7 k
WD blue 1 Tb:3.5-4k
Ssd 120 Gb:3k
Power supply corsair/cooler master:3.5k for 450-500 watts.
DVD drive- 1k
Cabinet:2k
UPS APC : 3-5k
Monitor: Dell s2240 -8-9k
Ddr 5 graphics : 5k -10 k
Windows: 4k

Choose to spend on an i5 or better graphics as per need.

The latest 6 gen parts are now comparably priced to older gen parts and support Windows7 .AMD has nothing to offer with their 5 year old architecture being priced high in India .

If you're going to be using Windows 7 for a long time it makes sense to go for the latest hardware with official driver support.

As CAD is less about graphics ,I'd go for the i5 .

P.S.: This is a good reference for pricing and parts

[url]http://www.deltapage.com/content/price.htm/URL]

Last edited by drsingh : 15th August 2016 at 10:58.
drsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 19:28   #3006
BHPian

Thanks for the advice. Im looking mainly for model number/part suggestions maily for the mobo and CPU as Im not familiar with the mobo chipsets. The rest of the parts are pretty much compatible with anything but I need help with these two specifically.

Im thinking a skylake i5 will be better than the required i7 2600 which is ive bridge correct ?
Old 20th August 2016, 13:25   #3007
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Im looking mainly for model number/part suggestions maily for the mobo and CPU as Im not familiar with the mobo chipsets. The rest of the parts are pretty much compatible with anything but I need help with these two specifically.

Im thinking a skylake i5 will be better than the required i7 2600 which is ive bridge correct ?
The CPU growth isn't as fast as it used to be. An i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge) is still somewhat better than a newer 4/5/6 generation i5, but the 6th gen i5 6600K is pretty close.

Prepared 3 sample configs for you but left out Windows OS prices, usual prices vary from around 7k to 12k for Win7/8/10 depending on the edition chosen, have a look and see what you can get. You haven't mentioned about the CAD software price , I suppose you already have set that aside.

Do keep in mind if you want any of the "K" suffix 6th gen (Skylake, on socket 1151) CPUs ( i5 6600K and i7 6700K), you have to buy a CPU cooler separately.

I knew I was missing something, now I remember : hard drives.
Adding them to the list.

Since you're doing CAD, you might want a faster HDD as against a larger capacity but slower drive. If so, select the WD Caviar Black 1TB , if capacity is more crucial than the speed, the 2TB WC Caviar Blue is similarly priced but comes with a 3 yr warranty against 5 yr for the Black.
Attached Images

Last edited by .anshuman : 20th August 2016 at 16:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged on request. Thanks
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2016, 23:41   #3008
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
The CPU growth isn't as fast as it used to be. An i7 2600 (Sandy Bridge) is still somewhat better than a newer 4/5/6 generation i5, but the 6th gen i5 6600K is pretty close.

Prepared 3 sample configs for you but left out Windows OS prices, usual prices vary from around 7k to 12k for Win7/8/10 depending on the edition chosen, have a look and see what you can get. You haven't mentioned about the CAD software price , I suppose you already have set that aside.

Do keep in mind if you want any of the "K" suffix 6th gen (Skylake, on socket 1151) CPUs ( i5 6600K and i7 6700K), you have to buy a CPU cooler separately.

I knew I was missing something, now I remember : hard drives.
Adding them to the list.

Since you're doing CAD, you might want a faster HDD as against a larger capacity but slower drive. If so, select the WD Caviar Black 1TB , if capacity is more crucial than the speed, the 2TB WC Caviar Blue is similarly priced but comes with a 3 yr warranty against 5 yr for the Black.
Hey thanks a lot for your help. What would be the nvidia option instead of the 470 ? I was planning on getting a 960 GTX. Also, where are the prices taken from ?
Old 25th August 2016, 20:35   #3009
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks a lot for your help. What would be the nvidia option instead of the 470 ? I was planning on getting a 960 GTX. Also, where are the prices taken from ?
Price-wise, yes, the GTX960 is closest. If you can stretch a bit , Zotac GTX1060 is around 18k and equivalent in performance to the AMD RX470 and coming close in a few cases to the RX480, but benchmarks can be fuddled a bit.
Pricing (and you can buy online too) you can get on mdcomputers.in and primeabgb.com
Old 25th August 2016, 20:44   #3010
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Price-wise, yes, the GTX960 is closest. If you can stretch a bit , Zotac GTX1060 is around 18k and equivalent in performance to the AMD RX470 and coming close in a few cases to the RX480, but benchmarks can be fuddled a bit.
Pricing (and you can buy online too) you can get on mdcomputers.in and primeabgb.com
GTX 1060 for 18K? Where? I think it starts at 21k.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2016, 21:27   #3011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS Power View Post
GTX 1060 for 18K? Where? I think it starts at 21k.
See here : http://www.primeabgb.com/online-pric...t-p10610a-10l/
Old 25th August 2016, 21:49   #3012
BHPian

Hey thanks I was looking at mdcomputers and primeabgb only.
Old 25th August 2016, 23:59   #3013
BHPian

The Specification finalized for my PC are as follows

Processor - Intel i5 6600K
Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Ram - 2 x 8gb Crucial budget DDR4
Graphic card - Gigabyte 750Ti 2gb
SSD - 250 gb Samsung Evo 850
Hard Disk - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Liquid CPU Cooler - CORSAIR H55
Power Supply - Corsair VS 650
Wifi Adapter - TP-Link N900
Cabinet - Deepcool Dukase V2
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 08:59   #3014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The Specification finalized for my PC are as follows

Processor - Intel i5 6600K
Motherboard - MSI Z170A SLI Plus
Ram - 2 x 8gb Crucial budget DDR4
Graphic card - Gigabyte 750Ti 2gb
SSD - 250 gb Samsung Evo 850
Hard Disk - 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Liquid CPU Cooler - CORSAIR H55
Power Supply - Corsair VS 650
Wifi Adapter - TP-Link N900
Cabinet - Deepcool Dukase V2
I guess you might have your reasons for going in for an assembled desktop.
But before the big buy ... did you pause and consider a laptop ?

Do checkout the Dell Alienware series (they are all configurable before buying) , or any other gaming laptops ?

When you add up your components
+ windows + monitor + keyboard + speakers + UPS it looks like it will cross the 1L price range.

The benefits I see are
- Portability, besides taking it where you go ( you can sit anywhere hall, dining room, balcony .. which for me is a BIG Plus )
- No need of power backup.
- Does not hog up a lot of space in the house.
- If you want a big screen you can always connect one.

Just a thought..
Another thought that I crossed my mind (since you have a big budget).

Instead of going in for a 2TB HDD, +7k and go for a 500GB SSD
Rest build up a 2 bay NAS.

With the 2TB HDD only the user will have access to your stuff.
With files on the NAS , everyone in the house can access them including all your mobile devices + Media players etc..

If cost is a factor maybe add the 2nd disk later

Last edited by Fillmore : 26th August 2016 at 09:05.
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 14:31   #3015
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I guess you might have your reasons for going in for an assembled desktop.
But before the big buy ... did you pause and consider a laptop ?

Do checkout the Dell Alienware series (they are all configurable before buying) , or any other gaming laptops ?

When you add up your components
+ windows + monitor + keyboard + speakers + UPS it looks like it will cross the 1L price range.

The benefits I see are
- Portability, besides taking it where you go ( you can sit anywhere hall, dining room, balcony .. which for me is a BIG Plus )
- No need of power backup.
- Does not hog up a lot of space in the house.
- If you want a big screen you can always connect one.

Just a thought..
Another thought that I crossed my mind (since you have a big budget).

Instead of going in for a 2TB HDD, +7k and go for a 500GB SSD
Rest build up a 2 bay NAS.

With the 2TB HDD only the user will have access to your stuff.
With files on the NAS , everyone in the house can access them including all your mobile devices + Media players etc..

If cost is a factor maybe add the 2nd disk later

The budget of the built including the monitor + keyboard + speakers + UPS is 70k. I had a look at alienware but it was not fitting the budget nor the idea of being modular. This sort of gives me the flexibility to upgrade key components as per my utilization. Most of the key components have been purchased from US, that is the only reason I could achieve the budget.

Infact I'm gonna use a light setup with only wireless keyboard and mouse on the table. The Monitor will be mounted on the wall and the CPU will be concealed with necessary ventilation.

The above list is curated for my experiments with building a Hackintosh,even if it fails I can always go back to installing Windows and using it. As for laptops, a macbookpro is next in consideration.

I badly want the 2TB as my storage/backup needs are tremendous and the 500gb SSD will be consumed in a month or so. Infact I'm planning to expand the capacity to 8TB few months down the lane.

Last edited by johannskaria : 26th August 2016 at 14:34.
johannskaria is offline   Reply With Quote