Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 2nd December 2008, 14:58   #1066
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In 24 hours, Team-BHP will be running on Core 2 Quad (2.4 Ghz) + 8 GB of RAM
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 15:10   #1067
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great news!
I had read that earlier it was 4GB and capable of handling around 2400 users, but I was observing more users, but I must add that never has the response time being bad for around 5 months now.
And fast will become even faster.
aaggoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 16:13   #1068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does this forum strain CPU at all?

I would assume that only thing getting hammered would be disk. And that would get big relief with a giant MySQL cache (possible due to 8 GB RAM).
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 19:38   #1069
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Great news!
I had read that earlier it was 4GB and capable of handling around 2400 users, but I was observing more users, but I must add that never has the response time being bad for around 5 months now.
And fast will become even faster.
Thanks. Yup, our current setup is good to manage 2400ish concurrent users. However, there was a substantial amount of viewers who couldn't access Team-BHP since our server was getting choked during peak hours. I am certain that we will be crossing a consistent 3,000 concurrent (peak hours), with the new box, very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I would assume that only thing getting hammered would be disk. And that would get big relief with a giant MySQL cache (possible due to 8 GB RAM).
You said it. Vbull has recommended us to split between 3 - 4 disks at the time of our next upgrade. They suspect that our hard-disk will be the bottleneck.
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:10   #1070
BHPian

I am looking for a PCI VGA Graphics card for my P3 500Mhz system. The system is working fine without any hassles and doesnt need any upgrades for the task it is being used for. Just wanted to install some older games for my nephew to play. Could someone suggest a good card that is available in the market right now? I am a newbie when it comes to choosing nvidia vs ati and so on.. Tigerdirect in the US seems to have some choice. Wondering which of these are available here

PCI Video Cards, PCI Video Capture Card, PCI Graphic Cards at TigerDirect.com
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 20:59   #1071
Senior - BHPian

kvish, are you planning to buy from the US because they are not available locally, or because you are abroad now/know someone who is returning?

the stuff should be available locally
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:54   #1072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You said it. Vbull has recommended us to split between 3 - 4 disks at the time of our next upgrade. They suspect that our hard-disk will be the bottleneck.
Have not worked with MySQL for last 4 - 5 years, but if it supports* pinning tables in memory cache then putting 16 - 32 GB RAM is a great way to solve this bottleneck. That is what I would do with Sybase / Oracle /DB 2.

Does vbulletin work with any of these DBs ?

*Till version 4.1, only query cache was supported.
Old 3rd December 2008, 08:59   #1073
BHPian

@GTO

do u use Raid configs also for increasing speed and reliability ? Coz they are mostly used for server purposes.

I've setup my system on RAID and it makes HDD quite fast , as data is split in no. of HDDs which indirectly increases the HDD speed.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:13   #1074
Senior - BHPian

@ GTO, are we there yet?
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:20   #1075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
I've setup my system on RAID and it makes HDD quite fast
What was the cost of such setup? Was it in hosted environment? I think RIAD controllers are quite expensive in 1 U from.

Quite cheap though, if you are building a desktop or server that is thicker then 2 inches. But that jacks up cost of hosting.
Old 3rd December 2008, 09:57   #1076
BHPian

Quote:
What was the cost of such setup? Was it in hosted environment? I think RIAD controllers are quite expensive in 1 U from.

Quite cheap though, if you are building a desktop or server that is thicker then 2 inches. But that jacks up cost of hosting.

I'm using DG965WH motherboard which has on-board RAID setup, but you can go for PCIe cards also which provide better solution and arent very expensive these days.

"Desktop thicker than 2 inches !" sorry, but i didnt understand what you are trying to say ?

Raid : for more info : RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, there are various combinations, and RAID 10 is generally apt for servers, Im using RAID 0 in which my 3 HDDs are shown to windows as a single HDD and, every data written is break up in 3 parts and each part goes to 1 HDD thereby increasing the HDD speed by 3 times theoretically.One can add more no. of disks to increase the speed further too.
inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 10:08   #1077
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
kvish, are you planning to buy from the US because they are not available locally, or because you are abroad now/know someone who is returning?

the stuff should be available locally
I would definitely want to buy them locally. But dont know which of these are available in the market and if they are, which one is better...
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:14   #1078
BHPian

kvish bhai! Go to SP road and look for 2nd hand PCI cards. I would be cheaper than getting from abroad. I have an old agp card if u could use it.. but looks like you are stuck with PCI.
Sks_Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 14:03   #1079
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
@ GTO, are we there yet?
Yup we are . I am currently seeing a server load that's only 20 - 30% of what it would be with 2,300 members on the older box.

Quote:
Have not worked with MySQL for last 4 - 5 years, but if it supports* pinning tables in memory cache then putting 16 - 32 GB RAM is a great way to solve this bottleneck. That is what I would do with Sybase / Oracle /DB 2.

Does vbulletin work with any of these DBs ?

*Till version 4.1, only query cache was supported.
What you posted has just bounced off me. Sorry, but I am not that technically inclined to give you an answer on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno View Post
@GTO

do u use Raid configs also for increasing speed and reliability ? Coz they are mostly used for server purposes.
At the time of the next upgrade, we plan to use RAID and split the data up over multiple hard-disks. BTW, my current desktop (at work) is raid configured.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:34   #1080
BHPian

Smile

Here is my configuration slightly more than 3 years old now, it was every computer geeks envy back then and now it's barely able to play the latest games.

AMD Athlon 64bit processor 3200+
Asus A8N SLI motherboard
Graphics card's 6600GT BIG X 2
Ram Transcend X 2 512MB = 1GB
HDD Seagate 1.SATA 160GB 2. SATA 500GB = Total 660GB (both internal)
ANTEC 400watts smart power
Zebronics Tower
BENQ DVD writer 16x
Samsung CRT sync master monitor 17 inch
Altec Lansing ATP3 2.1 (VFM)
Microsoft Keyboard and mouse
Frontech double battery backup
BSNL 256MB unlimited download package with wireless router.
All this for 50k back then.(excluding the 500gb HDD)

Planning to upgrade my 1. graphics card's to two 8600gt's any suggestions here would be well apreciated, 2. 2 X 1GB RAM (which brand is good). 3. Planning to hook up my comp to my LCD TV (need to know if it is good for gaming).
Attached Thumbnails
The Computer & Configuration Thread-mandeeps-slick-rig-007.jpg  

Attached Images

xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote