Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 4th September 2006, 17:39   #1
BHPian

Default For HT front speakers - 2 way or 3 way ??

A question for the Audio gurus..

Have been trying to build a decent HT and doing some research on options available in India..

The general consensus of experts seems to be that the Front ( L / R ) speakers in a HT set up have to be really top notch to extract the best out of the Amp / Av receiver , as they do bulk of the job.

My understanding ( Limited!! ) was that, with other factors remaining the same , a 3 way / 4 way speaker is much more efficient and clearer than a 2 way system for the same output.

But..Most of the Speakers available for this , in the 20- 35 K / pair price range seems to be of 2 way variety.For example., Diamond wharfdale, Jamo and equivalents from Onkyo , Polk etc

Is it because a good 3 way cant be made in this price range ? or the crossover technology has improved so much that modern 2 ways or as good as 3 ways ??

Thx. in advance for your inputs and time.

P>S> has any one here used / auditioned speakers from sonodyne , especially Sonus 2605 tower speakers and Roarr 2815 subwoofer ? All opinions most welcome.

Last edited by w 12 : 4th September 2006 at 17:42.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 18:01   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
A question for the Audio gurus..

Have been trying to build a decent HT and doing some research on options available in India..

The general consensus of experts seems to be that the Front ( L / R ) speakers in a HT set up have to be really top notch to extract the best out of the Amp / Av receiver , as they do bulk of the job.

My understanding ( Limited!! ) was that, with other factors remaining the same , a 3 way / 4 way speaker is much more efficient and clearer than a 2 way system for the same output.

But..Most of the Speakers available for this , in the 20- 35 K / pair price range seems to be of 2 way variety.For example., Diamond wharfdale, Jamo and equivalents from Onkyo , Polk etc

Is it because a good 3 way cant be made in this price range ? or the crossover technology has improved so much that modern 2 ways or as good as 3 ways ??

Thx. in advance for your inputs and time.

P>S> has any one here used / auditioned speakers from sonodyne , especially Sonus 2605 tower speakers and Roarr 2815 subwoofer ? All opinions most welcome.
w12, i am not sure you are in the right place, though me too would love to discuss this.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 18:07   #3
BHPian

Mods,

Can you please shift this thread to an appropriate place , if it is out of place? I had seen questions on home audio under ICE earlier..hence this post..

sorry for the inconvenience..
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 22:07   #4
BHPian

N-ways or number of drivers does not matter. Its the design and overall sound which matters. At the end of the day choose the speaker which sounds good to your ears. There are lot of good brands available. Just trust your ears and go with your listening taste
Autophile is offline   Reply With Quote