Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 11th September 2006, 23:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

nikkibike, I've pm'd you my cell. We can meet. I'm afraid I won't be selling my XDA IIi. My dad has already laid claim on it. Check out www.pocketpcthoughts.com and www.pocketpcmag.com for info on WM devices. The forums there are very good and active.

Satish, you into gadgets too? I can make out that you stay current from your post. I'm a bit of a gadget nut too. Blow all my money on gadgets, when I'm not blowing it on my car. FYI, emoze (www.emoze.com) is another provider that gives free (virtual) push email thru Outlook on your desktop. I tried it for a while, and it was pretty good.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 00:41   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, i am a gadgeteer, but unfortunately i can't afford many. I have put so much money on Jasjar because i am planning to use this for another 3 years. Usually i wait atleast 2 -3 generations of technology to change before i buy again.
Jasjar is good but not the best anymore. It doesn't support Edge though it supports 3g (usesless in India). If camera in pda is important to you, it comes with only 1.2 mp whereas Jasjam overcomes all these. I bought Jasjar just for the bigger screen. Replacement to Jasjar is expected only in the end of 2007(still rumours).
Another good device is Eten M600. The only issue is it is neither sold nor supported in India. Steeroid is using one and is planning to sell it soon. It has better reviews than Atom & K-Jam. Check www.eten-users.net.
I bought Jasjar with B&w. It costed me 45k. After an experiance with support i have my doubts sbout buying with B&W. If you find one for very cheap price from a trusted dealer, go and buy from him. It may carry international warranty and is accepted around the globe. Spend the extra money on accessories and software (No piracy please. They are very much affordable).
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 00:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

The 700p brings speedy 3G data access to the Palm OS line of Treos, along with wireless modem capabilities, Bluetooth, a 1.3-megapixel camera, and even live TV....Now comes the 700p, the first of the EV-DO Palm OS Treos, and we're happy to say the wait was worth it. Armed with a razor-sharp 320 x 320 display, a streaming video player, and wireless modem capabilities (supported by both Sprint and Verizon Wireless), the 700p packs an impressive punch, despite its unfortunate lack of Wi-Fi.

What's positive:

[COLOR=black]Bright, vivid screen; speedy EV-DO access; wireless modem support over Bluetooth or USB; great personal and corporate e-mail support; impressive multimedia options[/COLOR] What's negative:

[COLOR=black]No Wi-Fi; no voice dialing; so-so conference calling; Palm OS needs updating; Menu key deserves to be up with the other navigation controls[/COLOR]
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 07:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Satish, the screen is the ONLY reason I'm seriously considering moving up from from my XDA IIi. My use is mostly browsing, email & multimedia (movies & TV), so it makes sense. The XDA IIi has a 3.5" QVGA screen. Though the physical size doesn't go up much, the resolution doubles! There still isn't any current gen (NEW) device with a VGA screen of 3.8" or even 3.5" size. All the new ones are QVGA, 2.8". Ugh! Size is not so much of an issue for me. If those darn UMPCs were available for around 40K, and with decent processors, I might have sprung for one of them. Maybe the Sony Vaio UX.

Nice to know somebody else from India who actually pays for PPC SW. I do too. Have spent about 12k on software (so far) and I now really get the best outta my PPC.

I haven't had to send my XDA IIi for any service yet (touchwood!), but I did speak to them (nearest to Kochi is Chennai) before I bought the XDA IIi. They were quite helpful then. But I have heard that it generally takes at least a month before you get your device back from service!!!

And the prices!!! They are 35 to 40% more than what they are abroad. I bought my XDA IIi for 42k when I was selling for 31K abroad. I was concerned about a warranty then. I'm still not sure whether my upcoming JasJar shud be grey or with B&W. I am a little paranoid about the screen.

And for the camera, I also carry a Nokia N70 as my primary phone . The camera of none of the WM devices are worth a second look. Even the new 2mpx ones. They are REAL noisy and take a lifetime to capture a snap. They are there for quick and dirty shots, and nothing more. I haven't yet used my XDA IIi's cam even once. The quality is sooooooooo bad!

Danalan, I don't think the Treo 700P, or for that matter even the 700W are available as yet in India from PalmOne? Is it available in the grey market in Mumbai? A friend of mine in Bangy was actually interested in getting a 700W.
Old 12th September 2006, 13:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb
O2 Atom will be the best if want a handy PDA with all features
Great concept, poor execution. They havent been proactive with ROM updates as iMate or Qtek, or the most active of them all - Eten (I got YET another ROM update last week, and every update seems to make the device better and better even if you had no major issues).

The issue with the O2 Atom may be the new device manufacturer - the Atom is manufactured by Quanta Computer, unlike other O2 PocketPC phones which are manufactured HTC devices.

If only Eten were more visible in the marketing scheme of things - but they will need to start from scratch, including a new name/image. Guess it would be easier for them to tie up with the likes of iMate and concentrate on making devices while iMate, O2 et al handle the branding, distribution and support.

For your specific requirements, Nikki - the iMate JAM or its O2 equivalent would be just right. Wont be too expensive either.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th September 2006 at 13:30.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:41   #21
F50
Senior - BHPian

Check out this link - Gadget Guru

This is a Shoot-out for the Smart Phone.
F50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 13:57   #22
Team-BHP Support

Grab this months edition of Living Digital and check the review on the HP iPAQ.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 15:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

You're right about the Atom Steeroid. Quanta has definitely screwed up the execution. Apparently the Atom XDA fixes most of the problems (except the slooooow camera).

And, since HTC has started selling their devices under their own HTC brand, the news is that O2 will not be rebranding and selling HTC devices any more. As long as Imate keeps selling them it is no big deal. Hopefully HTC will soon set up sales in India.
Old 12th September 2006, 19:00   #24
BHPian

Thumbs up hi gadgeteers!!

Many thanks to you guys!!! I never ever expected this much of hardcore infos thru this channel!! You guys are hardcore gadgeteers and great to have so much of life experiences of a variety of PDA's!!!

Am closely studying each and every models you ppl recommended!!! I'll comeback to you guys again after shortlisting 2-3 models from the entire list!! Atleast now I have a skelton info of what should be looked at!!!
Thanks a ton again to all of you guys.... keep going!!!

cheers.
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 22:14   #25
Team-BHP Support

I'd choose between an Eten M600+, Atom Trion (or it's variants), Sony P990 and Palm 700p.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 22:54   #26
BHPian

Default How bout this?!

Guys, checkout this link!! Kindly pass on your views on this model!
This is the only one I cud shortlist from a whole lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pl correct me if am wrong!

http://www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_JASJAM.aspx

Please point out the disadvantages of this one if any.

cheers!!!

Last edited by nikkibike : 12th September 2006 at 22:56.
Old 12th September 2006, 23:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
http://www.clubimate.com/t-DETAILS_JASJAM.aspx

Please point out the disadvantages of this one if any.

cheers!!!
1. Its new. Takes time for the ROM updates to come up for small issues. New units may also have stability issues initially.

2. Its expensive, and like all new & expensive devices will shed its price after a while leaving you really pissed off.

3. Uses Micro-SD expansion which is less common and therefore more expensive than conventional SD/MMC Cards. It also comes with smaller capacities (max 2 gb) than SD cards.

4. Imate support sux, but thankfully you dont need them as long as there are forums like www.xda-developers.com around.

5. You wont have a valid excuse to buy a new device for some time to come. Thats really frustrating, like my Eten M600 till now.

6. It doesnt make coffee or teach you to fly.

Other than that there's hardly anything to find fault with a 3G, WiFi-enabled pocket pc with a qwerty keyboard. If you want to crib, perhaps it should've had GPS but I've never had to use GPS to find my way around so it doesnt matter to me.

Last edited by Steeroid : 12th September 2006 at 23:06.
Old 12th September 2006, 23:20   #28
Senior - BHPian

Jasjam is what Jasjar should have actually been...i mean not the screen, size & keyboard but other features like Edge, more 3g bands etc.

As you said you already have another primary phone, why don't you just buy a PDA. Dell Axim 51v. It have everything and more than Jasjar except for the phone. It has the vga screen and also it has graphics acclerator chip (but the sotware should also support that). It has dual card slot (CF & SD). It has mind blowing looks. To send and receive documents, you can access internet trough your phone via bluetooth. The quality of Dell is exceptional. I have grand daddy of this model, the Axim X5. It's more than 3 years and still not a single problem.

You get the fully loaded device with 624KHz processor for half the price of Jasjar.

Here is the link: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...=19&l=en&s=dhs

The only issue is you may have to get it from abraod. Support is not an issue as hardly there will be problems. Dell India will not support it.

Last edited by satish_appasani : 12th September 2006 at 23:24.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2006, 23:28   #29
BHPian

Default hi there

Steeroid, Thanks for that fast review!! You guys are real experts in this field!! Where are you in Kochi?!! Why don't we all meet-up conveniently and discuss these kinda stuffs??!! Am absolutely a 'dump' on these stuffs!! Wud like to improve my knowledge before going for one!

Hey, the content of your reply was very sensible!! I too was a bit apprehensive about my find...but then...what made me stick with it is..
(1) I won't be replacing the device in another 2-3 years.
(2) Good Processor make/speed, Quadband, Edge etc etc really required these days I guess?!
(3) Battery backups!!

Pl let me know! Otherwise, if Quadband is not that important.,I prefer O2 XDA Exec!! What say?!! I wud like to see your system too!! Possible?!!

many thanks for hanging around!!

cheers.
Old 12th September 2006, 23:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
Pl let me know! Otherwise, if Quadband is not that important.,I prefer O2 XDA Exec!! What say?!!
1. XDA Exec is way outdated. Forget it.

2. 3G/HSDPA will suddenly become important when Hutch launches these services - you dont want to feel outdated then.

3. I live in Dubai. There are other pda freaks around like JKDAS and the young boy with the loose purse-strings, karthik. Get in touch with Speedzak for non-pda phones - he usually carries 3 phones around with him all the time.