Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 20th September 2006, 12:50   #76
Senior - BHPian

Hey navin

That could be a feature in the OS (it is a feature in Windows mobile) to not completely close the application but just hide it. This is to speedup the process when you want to reopen the application. Look around for some utilities which can either automatically close your applications or let you do that manually.

This is one of the reasons why you have to soft reset your windows mobile device quite often.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 13:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
Hey navin

That could be a feature in the OS (it is a feature in Windows mobile) to not completely close the application but just hide it. This is to speedup the process when you want to reopen the application. Look around for some utilities which can either automatically close your applications or let you do that manually.

This is one of the reasons why you have to soft reset your windows mobile device quite often.
The symbian UIQ OS does not work like Windows - the applications are REALLY closed when you click the close button. Therefore this should not be an issue on the P990i. What you have mentioned is very true for Windows based pocketpc phones. I use SPB PocketPlus to take care of this (and several other) requirements.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 13:18   #78
Senior - BHPian

Even i too use SPB PocketPlus.

There was one nice tool that came with my Dell Axim called Switcher. It's just a small icon that sits on the top and has a dropdown menu listing all the running applications and can close them. I tried to install this on my Imate but it didn't work. There are several freewares similar to this on net but none of them worked as efficient. Finally has to pay for the Pocketplus application and also it consumes too much of ROM (Around 5 MB) and RAM space. I like the Switch Window feature (aka Alt + tab) in Pocketplus.
And i use another another tool called MemMaid to tune my device to perform better. This is a must have tool and for me it's more important that Pocketplus.
Old 20th September 2006, 13:33   #79
Senior - BHPian

I think you'll still find Switcher at www.freewareppc.com AND a lot of other useful tools. SPB doesnt have an impact on the performance of my Eten M600. Nor does Skype, for that matter - it takes a lot to crash this device.
Old 20th September 2006, 13:41   #80
BHPian

Thumbs up

hi Buddy...
i bought a O2 XDA EXEC 2 weeks back and i am loving it...
the only problem i face is that its a bit BIG...
have to carry it in hand...
else every thing is fine...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 22:00   #81
BHPian

Default hi

zulfikar, G8 news buddy!!! Thanks for your input!! Howz the processing speed and stuffs like that??!!!! Battery backup??!! User friendliness??!!
Pl comment!!.. thanks in advance....

cheers
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 23:47   #82
Team-BHP Support

upgraded ROM seems to work a bit better. still there are some features my Atom had I wish the P990 had too. anyway i got my tactile keyboard and i guess i will adjust to it's idiosyncracies over time. till then i am keeping my Atom.
navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 12:35   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar
hi Buddy...
i bought a O2 XDA EXEC 2 weeks back and i am loving it...
the only problem i face is that its a bit BIG...
have to carry it in hand...
else every thing is fine...
where did u get it and how much for in banglaore ? is it with bill and warranty?

Thanks
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 23:12   #84
Senior - BHPian

I use SPB Pocket Plus too. No memory issues on my XDA IIi. In fact the device wouldn't be as useful without SPB PP. Its definitely worth the $25. I was using Battery Pack Pro before, and switched to SPB PP a few months back. I like the BPP icons better, byr SPB PP's functionality and memory management is wayyyy better. BTW, I use SKTools for memory management.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2006, 13:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

HTC Universal aka Imate Jasjar aka O2 Exec is no more a better device except for it's vga screen and keyboard.

Read here a comparision of Universal with O2 Atom Exec.
http://pocketpcdubai.com/reviews/o2/.../reviewp2.html
Old 26th September 2006, 14:51   #86
Senior - BHPian

Read this before proceeding further - nikki, that means YOU:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17543 (Be aware before you buy iMate or O2 PDAs)
Old 29th September 2006, 15:48   #87
BHPian

Default hi guys

steeroid & satish, Thanks for those infos and links guys..!! So what to go for now??!! OR should I drop the plan for another 3-4 months??!!
Old 29th September 2006, 16:03   #88
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if O2 Atom Exec or Imate Jasjam (or other versions of it) are available in India.
I would suggest you to go with Jasjam because it comes with 3G. 3g is around the corner in India, and once it is out you will get broadband speeds internet on your mobile.
I am not sure on what models Imate & O2 will come up with in near future with their contract with HTC terminated. And these two are the biggest players of Windows Mobile in India.
Old 30th September 2006, 22:29   #89
BHPian

Default hi there

satish, Thanks dude!! The one I had finalised is Jasjam... but now slightly scared whether to go for it or not!!! I can get the stuff even from US/UK/Dubai if the stuff isn't available in India!!!But service??!! What say??!!

cheers!
Old 1st October 2006, 01:41   #90
Senior - BHPian

If you're not desperate, I'd personally suggest you wait. I was thinking in terms of a Jasjam myself but this news has made me a bit wary despite the fact that I'm used to getting most issues (except hardware) sorted out through interactive forums.

Wait and watch - a wave of 3G-enabled Pocket PCs are on the way. Probably by christmas.