Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 10th September 2006, 11:59   #1
BHPian

Default Guys, Planning to buy a PDA, Pl advice!

Guys, Am planning to buy a PDA which suits the following parameters. Kindly advice me with your real experiances. Thanks in advance!

(1) It should be very USER FRIENDLY!

(2) It must have hand writing recognition feature., using stylus!

(3) It should be fairly quick!! Its annoying to wait till it starts and works
on a command!!

(4) 90% of its usage wud be to receiving emails (in word format) and
sending back the same after required corrections! (My off staffs are so
funny that they will prepare quotations inplace of enquiries!!!)

(5) It must be very handy and light wieght!!... coz am buying this to
avoid carrying my laptop when I go nearby places of my office. It is
difficult to carry laptop whenever I make a 10km trip to the city!!

(6) Should have decent battery backup!! (I require to check the mails
every 30 min whenever am out of my office!!)

(7) It may or may not be a PDA phone!! Any disadvantages on having
a PDA Phone??!! OR is it better using it seperately and link it with a
moble phone when ever I need to check the mails / browse the
net??!! Presently am using a D500 mobile phone with GPRS facility of
Hutch!!

(8) It wud be great I will be able to store few autocad files so that I
can avoid pendrives!!

Your advise wud help me finalising the purchase!! Kindly drop in the max infos you have on the topic!!

I express my gratitude to all the members those who have given enormous and generous responces and advices on my earlier posts.

Thanks in advance once again...
Nikhil.

Last edited by nikkibike : 10th September 2006 at 12:11.
nikkibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 13:30   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike
Guys, Am planning to buy a PDA which suits the following parameters. Kindly advice me with your real experiances. Thanks in advance!

(1) It should be very USER FRIENDLY!

[Ketan]This is very subjective, depending on what OS you use, you'll get the usability features

(2) It must have hand writing recognition feature., using stylus!

[Ketan]most of the PDAs or Pocket PCs now a days comes with hand writting recognition feature, I dont use it much as I found it very complicated, I may not have researched much on this feature and using found the onscreen keyboard better to use (or u can buy a mobile / foldable keyboard for the same) - I also use it for most of the data features only like my email and calendar > this are the two most important features for me (next is going to be GPS i guess )

(3) It should be fairly quick!! Its annoying to wait till it starts and works
on a command!!

[Ketan]go for a good pocket pc with intel xScale proc - minimum 400Mhz and that shd be quick enough

(4) 90% of its usage wud be to receiving emails (in word format) and
sending back the same after required corrections! (My off staffs are so
funny that they will prepare quotations inplace of enquiries!!!)

[Ketan]pocket pc running with Windows mobile will be the best to look at the word docs and stuff like that. remember, the pocket word comes with this is a scaled down version of the word / excel and other office suite, that doesnt mean u get to see / use all features like u do with your laptop.

(5) It must be very handy and light wieght!!... coz am buying this to
avoid carrying my laptop when I go nearby places of my office. It is
difficult to carry laptop whenever I make a 10km trip to the city!!

[Ketan]check out i-mate Jam / Jamin / and other new devices, also O2 Atom and Mini, these devices have got good form factor and are easy to carry

(6) Should have decent battery backup!! (I require to check the mails
every 30 min whenever am out of my office!!)

[Ketan]battery backup wud again depend on the brand and make you go for,, there wud not be much diff among all these devices tho.
As you said u are using Hutch GPRS (dont know whether its Hutch Access you are talking about!!) and if you use Hutch Access with Windows Mobile 5 device with direct push facility (that will keep talkin to your exchange server and download emails as it comes to your inbox - this is really fast, i get my emails downloaded to my device before even I get them on my lappy ) the battery consumption wud be little higher.

(7) It may or may not be a PDA phone!! Any disadvantages on having
a PDA Phone??!! OR is it better using it seperately and link it with a
moble phone when ever I need to check the mails / browse the
net??!! Presently am using a D500 mobile phone with GPRS facility of
Hutch!!

[Ketan]I would suggest you using a PDA / Pocket PC device rather than using two diff devices, why to carry a PDA and a Cell phone when u can have both the features in the same device. You can get your emails, browse net and do everything in there (experiance wud be not so good as you might have with your laptop, after all its a Pocket PC with far smaller screen and size). You can also install a Navigation s/w and use that as a GPS. either you can go for a pocket PC that is already GPS enabled or if its not, you can buy a sperate GPS receiver that will talk to your device over BT.

(8) It wud be great I will be able to store few autocad files so that I
can avoid pendrives!!

[Ketan]You can do that with pocket pc, i'm using 2GB mini SD with my PPC and that works well.

Your advise wud help me finalising the purchase!! Kindly drop in the max infos you have on the topic!!

I express my gratitude to all the members those who have given enormous and generous responces and advices on my earlier posts.

Thanks in advance once again...
Nikhil.
see if this helps
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 21:59   #3
BHPian

Default Hi there,

ketan, Thanks a thousand tons for that great reply!!

Which one are you using?!! Make/Model/Spec??!! Howz the performance and life factor of these stuffs??!!
Also, can you point out a make/model/spec that suits all of my requirements??!! You can take enough time for that as am very new to this world of gadgets!!! None of my friends are good enough to comment on these kinda stuffs tooo!!
Well..am having the "Hutch Access" connection for GPRS!!

Thanks once again in advance!!

Nikhil.
Old 10th September 2006, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Nikkibike,

Consider a Palm Lifedrive. It's got a 4 GB HDD built in and will take SD cards up to 2 GB as well. Also comes WiFi (802.11b) and Bluetooth. No phone, but then I prefer separate units anyway.

It has a voice recorder that lets you record up to 16 hours of audio (interviews, classes, etc) (when recording on to HDD) and also works as a media (MP3/video) player.

One other great advantage is that it can also be used as a portable HDD.

I have been using one for about a year now and am really happy with it.

NPP
pillainp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 22:43   #5
SLK
Senior - BHPian

as far as I know ... these devices are slow in data trf rates .. and can't even be compared to a pen drive.
It takes me 30-40mins to transfer 100mb to the pocket pc.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 00:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

ketan, whatever device you choose, it basically should suit your requirements.
There are 3 o/s for pda. Palm OS, Windows mobile, symbion. i have used the first two. The first one was ages ago (By technology standards). Either Palm Os or windows will suit you. thought palm doesn't have Office tools built in like in windows, there are many 3rd party applications to do that.

As i see you receive, modify & send documents on the go, you have to go with PDA + Phone. PDA alone can't access the internet through gprs. You have to either have wifi or connect via bluetooth to your phone and access internet. So i would recommend to go with builtin phone to access internet anytime anywhere. Also as you will be entering lots of text, either buy a device with hardware keyboard or a keyboard that connect to the phone via ir or bt.
You can subscribe to service like Goodlink which provide pushmail service. Either with Palm or windows, the options are endless.
There are many brands that are officially sold in India. Palm sells it's Treo 650 phone in India. Check their Indian site. HP, Imate & O2 sell windows phones. Most of the windows phones come with small screens and are as good as your mobile to carry. The only windows phone that comes with bigger screen is Imate Jasjar. It also has a very nice builtin keyboard. The screen is to die for. It's vga. It has the fastest processor and is quick enough if you know how to tune your device. Both Imate & O2 sell the same devices but with their own names printed. HP phones sold in India are of older OS. Don't know about O2 but Imate gives international warranty. Their service in India sucks but outside India should be ok. If you can get it from abroad for cheap, get it that way.
In the current lot, none of them has every feature. Wait for few days and go for Imate Jasjam or O2 Trion. Both are the same devices. As of now itls the alrounder and is already available internationally.
BTW, i am typing this long mail laying in my bed using my Imate Jasjar. Happy shopping.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 01:00   #7
BHPian

Hi,
Get yourself a imate K-Jam (HTC Wizard). Fullfills all that you require and much more.
People complain about Performance of TI-Omap processor; but I use Omapclock for overclocking and works fantastic for proc intensive apps...just like NOS in cars!
And the battery life is just amazing...personal experience says double the duration of O2 Atoms...with MS-Direct Push ON always!
With a variety of inputs (folding KBD, stylus and Voice recognition)...does most of the jobs!

Sids
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 01:29   #8
BHPian

Hi,
I use O2 Atom and that works well with what I want from the device.
I normally use laptop to type long emails, i tried doing it with the inbuilt keyboard of the device sometimes and found it too tiresome - but I guess once u used to it,, it will be cool. I use my device for fast email access over GPRS and wifi and calendar features most.

Earlier I was using i-Mate PPC phone edition which was lil bulky and big for a cell phone kinda device, as far as I know, Atom is one of the smallest PPCs as of now and performs good.
However, You may like to try other devices with the features like inbuilt HDD (helps u save huge file that you are not going to use on PPC for sure) that serves the data storage purpose; other devices from palm and i-Mate K-Jam (which has got good battery life - someone mentioned here).
you already have your requirements listed here. I'd suggest you go ahead and hunt for devices over the net and find out the one that serves most of the purposes, quite a few devices will serve all purposes u listed but some of them will be good at one thing and lack a lil in some other feature. i-Mate JasJar is another good device,,its just the brand name that i-mate has released the device with,, its HTC who makes this devices and you will find the same model with other makes like O2 as well. That was a tempting device earlier when I looked at it - a very small laptop kind of device and the biggest benefit of it is it is 3G enabled (whenever Indian ISPs are 3G enabled that device will be very handy - presently they are waiting for Indian arm forces to release that freq. band that is used for 3g - not sure when government is going to shift to another band). The only reason I did not go for it is the size of the device, I never wanted to carry a big device (as big as my previous PPC Phone) as my cell phone so I went for the one that has got most of the features and the size is really small - smaller than 02 Mini.
Hope this will help. You try and narrow this down to fewer devices with ur requirements and we shd be able to help u make the decission.
Ketan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 13:18   #9
BHPian

Unhappy hi guys

pillainp, That link was extremely helpfull!! Thanks for your 'live' experiances!! Btw, how much did you paid for it??!! Howz the service and stuffs like that??!! Thanks in advance again!!

SLK, Your experience of data transfer rates is tooo low!!! Wondering why itz so??!!
Old 11th September 2006, 13:57   #10
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SLK, Your experience of data transfer rates is tooo low!!! Wondering why itz so??!!
I have a XDA II Mini.... and 2 of my friends have it too.... it uses the same processor as Atom....
data trf rates in mini are like that only.... don't know about atom.
SLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 15:07   #11
Senior - BHPian

I use an O2 XDA IIi (Windows Pocket PC 2003SE, Phone Edition). I've used a Palm M130 and a T5 Tungsten before. From my experience:

1) Go for Windows Mobile (2003SE or WM5), and NOT Palm OS.
2) Definitely buy a Phone Edition device (PDA + Phone).
3) Make sure the Processor is 400mhz or above (mine is 520mhz Intel, the most powerful available in a Phone Edition device. It really makes a difference).
4) The (new) O2 Atom Exec will be good choice. BIG improvement over the Atom. 520mhz processor, 2.8in screen and all the other usual bells and whistles that the competition has.
5) If you have the moolah, and want the BEST, buy an Imate Jasjar or an O2 XDA Exec (Same device different names). 3.8in Screen, twist form factor with full QWERTY keyboard, 520mhz processor, and all the other bells & whistles. This will cost you 46-48K, but you won't regret it. It is a bit big, but you get full bang for the increased size. I'm switching to a JasJar in a month
6) If you want a smaller device with a keyboard (the Atom Exec does not have a keyboard), get the Imate K-Jam or the O2 Mini-S (same device different names).
7) Data transfer will be mostly the same (between devices) if you have only GPRS (class 8 or 10). You'll need EDGE capability for faster speeds (as long as your operator supports EDGE). 3G will be in India only in another year or so, and that is when we'll see real fast speeds. Airtel and Idea support EDGE. I guess HUTCH does too, but I'm not sure.

Hope this helped.
hydrashok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 22:18   #12
BHPian

Default hi guys

satish_appasani, Great detailed infos from your side. I thank you for that. Yeah... am interested in Win OS only as am absolutely have no idea bout others!! Am not a software/hardware guy!! Pure Mechanical/Electrical!! OK!! so what you advice is to go with PDA+Phone device for more convenience... with an extra keyboard accessory!! "Push" is very important!! guess all the connection providers have that facility now!! I've been hearing bout Imate Jasjar! How much you paid for it?! Please say more about your experience with it! When is this Imate Jasjam / O2 Trion expected??!
Pl continue with more infos on this stuffs!! Thanks once again!

sids911, Imate K-Jam (HTC Wizard)!! Can you please tell me more bout this?!! Thanks once again!

ketan, Yours is a gem of adevice as far as I know!!! How much have you paid for that??!! Howz the performance and stuffs??!! Whatz 3G??!! And does O2 comes with 3G loaded??!! Well..am hearing too much bout Imate Jasjar... and Satish here have one too... Good reports from everybody!!! Any better version of this model coming in near future??!! Kindly continue your advices... As you said, probably I will be able to make a final list 2mrw to pick the most suitable one!! Thanks a lot for continued advices

SLK, Thanks buddy for that info!!

hydrashok, Hey buddy, being a kochite, If you are comfortable, I wud like to meet you conveniently in person and see your device personally for better idea bout these stuffs!!
Yes dear... I too like to have Win OS only!! I've finalised buying a phone PDA!!
Processor is a very important stuff!! I'll definitely look for above 400Mhz!!
Hey, consider am having 'moolah'... so in that case what you advice me is either Imate Jasjar or O2 XDA Exec!! Cost you indicated is too much than my budget! But I can rethink about that for a good stuff!
Did you said you are switching over to a Jasjar?!! If yes.. are you interested to sell the present one to me?!! At what cost?!!
Info bout EDGE really did helped me improve my knowledge about that!! Thanks a ton dear!!! Please continue!!!

Thanks once again guys...!
Nikhil
Old 11th September 2006, 22:29   #13
kdb
BHPian

O2 Atom will be the best if want a handy PDA with all features
kdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2006, 23:08   #14
BHPian

Default hi there...

kdb, Well... O2 Atom is already in hot discussion. Thanks for your input buddy..! You have this??!! If yes, please put more infos... thanks in advance!
Old 11th September 2006, 23:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, how much did you paid for it??!! Howz the service and stuffs like that??!! Thanks in advance again!!
I paid around 28K for it back in Sept '05, but I believe the price is around 24K now. The dealers then were Ingram-Micro Trivandrum (they are in Kochi too), but my experience with those guys was not too good. I bought mine direct from Ingram-Micro Bangalore. Simply paid the dough into their ICICI bank account and they couriered it to me. Had it two days later.

Have never had to call in for service or anything else. You have to handle the unit to really just how sturdy it is. It has a metal body and feels really solidly built. I've dropped (and the kids have too) and it just laughed it off and went on like nothing happened.

I tried out a Dell Axim just after I bought the LifeDrive, and it felt like it might fall apart if I looked at it too hard.

Another PDA-Phone you might want to look at is the HP iPaq 6965 and the like. They run on Windows Mobile.

Another great product if you can find it is the Palm Treo 650, or the 700 if you can find it.

But in my mind, nothing beats the 'Drive for convenience and features. When I travel, I simply carry a pair of headphones, and I can listen to hours fo music and upto one DVD worth of movies. Who needs an iPod??

NPP
pillainp is online now   Reply With Quote