Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 19th November 2015, 16:39   #76
BHPian

Default Re: What Apps are installed on your smartphone?

A few apps that are not listed already by others that I have:

NoomWalk Pedometer - many have said its unreliable, but for me give me a decently accurate count of my number of steps (~ 200 - 300 step variation over the day)

Speedtest - to counter the ISPs on their stated speed throughputs. Dont use it that frequently though

Ulysse Speedometer - Use it mostly in flights to see what speed and height the plane is travelling at. Trivia: Planes take off at 250 kmph

Flightaware - My way of tracking where my incoming flight is, the airlines never give you a true picture and always say 5 mins, 10 mins, flight has already landed and all other excuses

Xender - For copying movies from colleagues phones
GJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 12:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

I strongly recommend that you give this app a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...nsara.appsense

It has quite a few nifty features, but the 'search' feature alone makes it a must have for me.
schakravarthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 18:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Ulysse Speedometer - Use it mostly in flights to see what speed and height the plane is travelling at. Trivia: Planes take off at 250 kmph
Isn't any transmitting or receiving in airplanes dangerous? Especially during take-off?
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 19:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Isn't any transmitting or receiving in airplanes dangerous? Especially during take-off?

That is a very good question, unfortunately very difficult to answer. Never the less, here is my attempt. I am not aware of any major incident, let alone fatality in aviation, directly contributed to interference from mobile devices. Being a (private) pilot myself i have followed a lot of the research into this particular phenomena. There are definitely well documented cases where electronic equipment such as laptops or phones appeared to be causing some interferences with the flight instruments. However, once on the ground it was not possible to replicate.

As you might be aware many airlines allow you to keep all your device on standby or flight mode all the time. Most, if not all, Indian carriers still stick to the rule that all d vices must be completely switched off during take off and landing.

A while ago some research was carried out and one of the findings was that in the USA most likely at least 25% of the passengers leave their phones on all the time. In all honesty I must admit I have forgotten to switch of all or some of my devices on more then one occasion. And I haven't crashed yet,touch wood!

More and more carriers offer internet services on board whilst in cruise. Interestingly enough this is accomplished by installing some extra kit, i.e. Wifi and Satcom, but no additional RF hardening of the plane wiring or electronics is done.

A recent FAA study into the potential danger of mobile devices did not find anything either, other then the real problem is the fact that these devices have batteries and they are often the problem. Heating up, causing fire, but not interfering with the planes electronics as such.

Jeroen

So there you are,
Jeroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 21:40   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
That is a very good question, unfortunately very difficult to answer. Never the less, here is my attempt. I am not aware of any major incident, let alone fatality in aviation, directly contributed to interference from mobile devices.
While I am definitely not a Pilot, I can recollect some of my European experiences with Easyjet/BA/Norwegian/Emirates.
All of them expect you to put your phone on Flight mode while take off and landing.
Norwegian & Emirates have free wifi on-board, which makes it even more fun.

While we were landing in Venice, it was raining and the visibility was limited. We were requested to switch our phones off during the landing process.

I guess, trusting the desi junta to turn their phones off and explaining the impact is too much to handle. Hence, the request to switch it off is simpler.

On the Appls front, here are the most common ones I use (I belong to the outcast Win Mo users group):
1.Whatsapp : For very obvious reasons
2.Here Transit: Major help in travelling from Point A to Point B using public transport in UK
3.Journey Pro : Very similar to Here Transit. Use it as a backup. Very detailed with the Platform details and real time updates.
4.9Gag : For the moments when I want to laugh at the world
5. Outlook/Skype for Business (Lync) : For the moments when I want the world to laugh at me
6. OneNote : For my better half to direct me remotely. Shopping lists mostly.
7. Truecaller: Runs in the background and keeps me safe from spam callers.
8. Adobe Photoshop Express : well. er'm.
9. Cortana : Pretty handy finding things for me when I need to win an argument.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 21:57   #81
BHPian

I've heard some wonderful reviews from NRIs. The best app meant for all the residents of Delhi:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...eo.briim.gnobu

Install it quickly. And you can thank me later.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 22:33   #82
Senior - BHPian

Today's TOI had a list of apps they recommended.One of them is Camscanner. I wonder what advantage it has, as anyways I can take a picture of any document with my phone and send it across. I'm not sure what extra can be done with that app.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 11:05   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Today's TOI had a list of apps they recommended.One of them is Camscanner. I wonder what advantage it has, as anyways I can take a picture of any document with my phone and send it across. I'm not sure what extra can be done with that app.
I used to do the same, click a picture with my phone camera and send the document across either through E-Mail or Whatsapp. However, Cam scanner takes the experience to a whole different level.

I use the app because you can scan different pages of a document batchwise and make one single pdf of the scanned documents. It brightens up the page so that the readibility is not affected due to lighting conditions, it is smiliar to scanning a page in a proper scanner. Then you can E-mail or send the document through bluetooth as a .jpg or as pdf file according to your preference, alternatively you can send the .jpg file through Whatsapp, since pdf sending is not supported on Whatsapp as of now.
I now dont use my camera phone to scan documents at all. Camscanner does it for me.

You can use the following link:
https://blog.camscanner.com/?lang=en

PS: I am in no way associated to Camscanner.

Last edited by Ritesh_Dogar : 11th December 2015 at 11:18. Reason: found a link for easier understanding.
Ritesh_Dogar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 11:49   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritesh_Dogar View Post
I now dont use my camera phone to scan documents at all. Camscanner does it for me.

You can use the following link:
https://blog.camscanner.com/?lang=en

PS: I am in no way associated to Camscanner.
Many thanks, I am now clear. I do have the app on my new Vibe phone, so will plan to put it to good use.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2015, 18:52   #85
BHPian

Trust me Guys, Camscanner is the best and most used app for me.

I have been into custom clearance of Imports and Exports since 2006. And for every document generated at customs like Bill of Entry (for Imports), Shipping Bill (for Exports), Refund Orders (for Refunds, if any) etc. I had to climb down 7 floors of the Custom House and fax it to my office. But then I purchased this app in 2008 and from then onwards it was just like click it, scan it and send it. Lot of my time, money and energy was saved then.

One more incident happened in 2010 when I was in my native place which is remote village in Kutch. And the Govt. official who looks into the property matter known as "Talati" comes once a week. And there was a notice issued on my property which was lying in his office. He came to my village just for 20 minutes and I needed a copy of that notice. Now the photocopies of the documents can only be made if I drive for 8 kms from my village. Then again Camscanner came to my rescue wherein I scanned all the required documents and took the printouts of same after coming back to Mumbai.
J_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 03:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone suggest something to record calls automatically on android & iphone ? Many times I miss address / phone numbers after discussions
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 07:15   #87
BHPian

Well, recently found that Facebook has an official lighter version, simply called Lite. The app consumes less data
ajitstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2016, 13:38   #88
BHPian

Came across this nice app called "Plume" which informs you about the current pollution level of the metro city, it is available on ios but can't say the same about android. Found it worth giving a try for health of yours and your loved ones.
naveendagar is offline   Reply With Quote