Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 30th September 2006, 22:56   #46
BHPian

I knew someone who was working at the BPL Mobile gallery at Bandra,Mumbai.I guess that was the only mobile phone gallery which had a Philips Matchline Plasma TV.I think Philips was the first one to launch a Plasma Tv in India.This is some 5 years back and the price then was skyhigh-roughly 7-8 lakh Indian Rupees!!That Tv conked off,some chip got screwed and the gallery had to shell out roughly 60 thousand rupees to get it rectified.Somehow,I feel the technology and picture quality is great but reliability is suspect.I'm only saying that because even we had a bad experience.Having said that,I wouldnt mind taking a chance again,probably the next tv could be a Philips.Right now we are using Videocon Bazooka 25 inch tv,I believe the only decent tv from Videocon.Its been with us for the past 8-9 years.It was the first tv to have a 200 watt subwoofer and was made in collaboration with Toshiba.The picture clarityand quality is brilliant,and so is the sound. In fact most tv from Videocon before and after that one were rubbish.

Last edited by roms : 30th September 2006 at 23:06.
roms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 11:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

update :

i checked out the Panasonic on sunday & wow! good picture quality, comaprable with sony & phillips. now, the confusion has started. i was comparing samsung & phillips in another showroom & the samsumg was a winner all the way whereas previously in a different showroom, the phillips was better by a distance. point in question is the white balance. samsung, in this showroom was having a perfect white balance meaning that white was shown only as white & not with any tint. i had to push the sales guy so hard & finally he told me that this particular showroom favours selling samsung & delibarately they have adjusted the service settings to show a better picture in samsung whereas they have did the same in the phillips to scale it down. that was news to me & so will it be for many of you, i guess.

still, i am confused with panasonic or phillips. panasonic has 2 models, the base price is 16.5k & the base price of phillips is 15.5k. people who own panasonic, can you please comment on the A.S.S of panasonic ?
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2006, 13:04   #48
BHPian

I was in market for a 29 inch flat tv ..

all showrooms try to push thier favourite brands..You should ask them to bring the settings to normal ( contrast / brightness/ color to 50 - 60 on a hundred scale ) to compare diffrent brands side by side

I had also shortlisted Samsung / Sony / Philips / panasonic..

Philips - dropped becuse of previous bad experience in A**
Sony - didnt think the premium pricing over others was worth it
panasonic - Service ?? not many outlets and service centres..also expensive parts, according to a source in the industry

So bought a Samsung 29 k 44 last week..has DNIE and decent sound
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12
what is 29 k 44??? and is this DINE jr or just DINE???
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 07:51   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was in market for a 29 inch flat tv ..

all showrooms try to push thier favourite brands..You should ask them to bring the settings to normal ( contrast / brightness/ color to 50 - 60 on a hundred scale ) to compare diffrent brands side by side

I had also shortlisted Samsung / Sony / Philips / panasonic..

Philips - dropped becuse of previous bad experience in A**
Sony - didnt think the premium pricing over others was worth it
panasonic - Service ?? not many outlets and service centres..also expensive parts, according to a source in the industry

When it comes to picture and quality of buid I dont think anything comes close to a sony , had bought one recently ...just compare the remote's you'll get what I am trying to say. Picture wise Sony is great and panasonic for that matter is not too far behind. I had bought the one with DRC donnow how the others are any way I am a satisfied customer .

Last edited by maxbhp : 5th October 2006 at 07:53.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 09:12   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
Also was looking out on LCD. Samsung 20 inch are available at 28k and 26 at 45k. But the pic quality is not as good as the CRTs. esp when there is some fast moving obj apears, there are too many blocks on the screen. Unless plasma comes down to sub-50k price range, i guess it is better to stick with CRTs.
I agree. LCD technology is still developing, and it makes no sense, today, to buy a LCD TV for the picture quality - CRT is always better. Perhaps in another three years LCD will finally catch up with CRT in picture quality. Picture trails are very evident if you watch tennis or football.

However you can buy LCD for snob value, and if you are really pushed for space in your home, as it's 1/10th the thickness of a CRT.

I have a Sony 29" Wega (CRT), and picture quality is just outstanding. Marry it with a simple HT setup and you're all set!

Last edited by filcord : 5th October 2006 at 09:14.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 10:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

I too was in the market for a 29" TV recently. Had looked around various shops with no particular brand in mind and had seen LG,Samsung,Sansui,Onida ,Phillips, Panasonic, Sony and Haier.
At a similar price bracket, all of them sported similar features. Except Sony, which I did not find to be worth the premium it commands over other brands. The prices ranged from about 15K (for the Sansui) to about 25K. Was thinking of buying either a LG or Samsung,but ended up buying an Onida 29" Oxygen Thunder (1200W with woofer) under a special scheme.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2006, 12:46   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn
what is 29 k 44??? and is this DINE jr or just DINE???
29 K 44 is the name of the model . here is the link.

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/t...cs_29k44ml.asp

It is DNIE, not Jr. DNIE is samsungs technology for improving the picture quality

http://www.samsung.com/in/products/t...info/index.htm

It also has DNR to correct bad / weak signals.
Old 5th October 2006, 13:05   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
When it comes to picture and quality of buid I dont think anything comes close to a sony
IMO, this was very true a few years ago..when we bought our 21 incher..others have caught up with them now at better prices..

We already have sony,BPL,akai,onida CTVs with us now and philips earlier. Our Sony ownership experience has not been very good..and their service centres here tend to fleece customers after warranty..

But as you said, if you are happy with the product , nothing else matters.
Old 6th October 2006, 14:56   #55
Senior - BHPian

very true. phillips has a 100Hz Tv priced at 24k, for the same sony is priced at 46k, now down to 40k. really, there is no difference in the picture on these 2 TVs. it is only the name.
Old 13th October 2006, 20:23   #56
BHPian

Quote:
29 K 44 is the name of the model . here is the link.

It is DNIE, not Jr. DNIE is samsungs technology for improving the picture quality
This model is having DNIE Jr check the specification page. Most of the Samsung CRT are having DNIE Jr. Meanwhile dose anybody know the difference between a DNIE and DNIE Jr.
rohithdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 21:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I've said it before and I will say it again. I am not a fan of Philips, but they probably make the best TV's at that price. I can vouch for the picture quality of their matchline series. Outstanding.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 21:51   #58
BHPian

We bought Philips 29" Eye fi 2 years back, i am very satisfied with the picture sound, etc. Very good VFM compared to Sony.
sridhar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2006, 22:36   #59
BHPian

The Pixel Plus range from Philips is exception VFM. Now the prices are under 25K as well.
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 00:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
I've said it before and I will say it again. I am not a fan of Philips, but they probably make the best TV's at that price. I can vouch for the picture quality of their matchline series. Outstanding.

Sam, in your opinion, which TV is the best, irrespective of their prices ?

samsung, lg, phillips... they all have 100Hz TV, but none of them on display except phillips. so i am confused as to which one to buy. phillips is retailing at 23.4 k after discounts. samsung & lg are yet to revise their prices & dealer is quoting 30k plus.