Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th October 2006, 09:15   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Between a samsung, LG and Philips, I would buy the Philips.

Sony is completely out as an option. I would look at Toshiba and Panasonic as options if my budget was higher.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2006, 23:51   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Between a samsung, LG and Philips, I would buy the Philips.

Sony is completely out as an option. I would look at Toshiba and Panasonic as options if my budget was higher.
unfortunately toshiba & panasonic do not have 100Hz models. also i hear from others that these 2 do not have good customer support which is a real dampener because panasonic is really good.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 12:57   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohithdr
This model is having DNIE Jr check the specification page. Most of the Samsung CRT are having DNIE Jr. Meanwhile dose anybody know the difference between a DNIE and DNIE Jr.
you are right about DNIE Jr.. however JR is NOT JUNIOR.

It is the latest version of the DNIE engine called DNIE Jupiter , which is present in this model.

Jupiter is the latest release of the DNIE engine.
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 14:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

I have a Panasonic 21" Flat CTV - TAU series, the picture and sound quality is excellent, maybe better than the equivalent Sony model.
Panasonic Service is pretty good, in B'lore we have 2 Service Centers, though it is seldom you need them.

I am planning to upgrade to a 25" Flat and would stick to Panasonic!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2006, 15:24   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12

It is the latest version of the DNIE engine called DNIE Jupiter , which is present in this model.

The sales guys in samsung showrooms swear that it is DNIE Jr because it is coming in the smaller TVs compared to the DNIE in the LCDs. so much for showroom sales.

Quote:
I have a Panasonic 21" Flat CTV - TAU series, the picture and sound quality is excellent, maybe better than the equivalent Sony model.
Panasonic Service is pretty good, in B'lore we have 2 Service Centers, though it is seldom you need them.

I am planning to upgrade to a 25" Flat and would stick to Panasonic!
unfortunately for you, panasonic does not have 25", nor do many other brands except for sony & samsung (disappearing fast).

Last edited by esteem_lover : 16th October 2006 at 15:27.
Old 17th October 2006, 10:54   #66
BHPian

Quote:

I dont think so. Check:
http://www.ocworkbench.com/2004/samsung/roadshow/p1.htm

As per this one: DNIE Jr is meant for "[FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=2]For mid-end Samsung flat-screen TVs from 21 to 29 inch" and it has a reduced feature set. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Su-47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2006, 16:13   #67
BHPian

The information about Dnie Jr. was got from Samsung Service Plaza , Ring road, BTM layout , BLR ( in other words , from the horses mouth) ..ofcourse thay also can be wrong..

Even this link says DNIE Jr is a new iteartion if earlier DNIE..and which core functions are missing here ?
Old 18th October 2006, 16:21   #68
BHPian

another link about DNie jr which says , it has MORE functions than Dnie

"The Korean company Samsung Electronics launched its DNIe (digital natural image engine) Jr Technology for 21-29 inch flat screen TVs on Thursday.
the new DNIe generation features additional functions of higher image density and a signal optimiser.The company’s DNIe Original, launched last year and has improved clarity and detail of images reproduced by colour TVs of 29 inches and more
http://vietnamnews.vnanet.vn/2004-06.../InfoBytes.htm

Last edited by w 12 : 18th October 2006 at 16:28.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am in the market for a 29Flat. My bidget is about 20K, strechable to 25 (Max) . I already have a Sony 14" Flat, 2 years old that I will be trading in.

What would be a realistic price that I could get for my Sony and which is the best TV to go in for in that price range. I plan to match teh TV with a good DVD or Div-X player after a couple of months.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2006, 13:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami
Guys, I am in the market for a 29Flat. My bidget is about 20K, strechable to 25 (Max) . I already have a Sony 14" Flat, 2 years old that I will be trading in.

What would be a realistic price that I could get for my Sony and which is the best TV to go in for in that price range. I plan to match teh TV with a good DVD or Div-X player after a couple of months.
close your eyes & get the panasonic...miles ahead of the rest, provided there are enough service outlets in your place. phillips is also v.good. you could get a 100Hz phillips for 23-24K. panasonic 100Hz for 29k, the best if you can expand your budget a little
Old 7th November 2006, 14:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Thanks EL, will check out the panasonic. I think we have enuf service centers here in Bangalore for Panasonic, so shouldnt be a problem. Will check it out this weekend.
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 10:36   #72
BHPian

I have a different take on 100 hertz TVs.. no doubt they are great but consider the following..

1. If you connect to a service like tata sky the difference between this and normal TV is hardly noticeable..

2.and more important is it worth spending 25 k on a CRT tv ? If you can why not stretch a bit more for a LCD ? IMO a CRT is only a stop gap arrangment till LCD tv prices drop to more realistic levels..( they are already dropping , will drop much more in an years time ) A 32 inch LCD tv from Sony / samsung is around 75 k , compared to 1.1 lacs 6 months ago.

I'd rather buy a basic good CRt Tv at around 15 k now and upgrade to an LCD in a year or two max...

Last edited by w 12 : 10th November 2006 at 10:39.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:56   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a different take on 100 hertz TVs.. no doubt they are great but consider the following..

1. If you connect to a service like tata sky the difference between this and normal TV is hardly noticeable..

2.and more important is it worth spending 25 k on a CRT tv ? If you can why not stretch a bit more for a LCD ? IMO a CRT is only a stop gap arrangment till LCD tv prices drop to more realistic levels..( they are already dropping , will drop much more in an years time ) A 32 inch LCD tv from Sony / samsung is around 75 k , compared to 1.1 lacs 6 months ago.

I'd rather buy a basic good CRt Tv at around 15 k now and upgrade to an LCD in a year or two max...
yep, you are right on most counts, but if you have or plan to have kids, then the extra 10k spent on getting a 100Hz seemed to me to be ok. but even i have shelved the idea of wasting so much for a TV. So i came up with another idea. Get a 19" TFT for the computer & get an external TV tuner box with video in as an option. This way, i need not spend 15 K on the TV right now & wait till the LCD prices drop & also enjoy watching TV programs on the 19" TFT. i wonder how good the clarity will be in this compared to the LCD TVs. i am going to check it out this weekend & will get back here. cheers
Old 10th November 2006, 14:09   #74
BHPian

Check out the 29-inch TV reviews here:

http://www.pcworld.in/features/index.jsp/artId=4554777
giri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2006, 21:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
So i came up with another idea. Get a 19" TFT for the computer & get an external TV tuner box with video in as an option. This way, i need not spend 15 K on the TV right now & wait till the LCD prices drop & also enjoy watching TV programs on the 19" TFT. i wonder how good the clarity will be in this compared to the LCD TVs. i am going to check it out this weekend & will get back here. cheers
E_L,we have been thinking same for the last few dyas it seems!!!
I also wanted to buy 29" TV and infact went to store to buy it but they dint have enough models and also these r huge in size to my liking.Also i am aware that prices of LCD TVs r going to fall rapidly,so will wait till then.
So right now i am only thinking of buying a laptop with atleast 17" screen size or upgrade my desktop to atleast 19"monitor and also add ext.TV tuner.Screen size of 19"LCD monitor is equal to 21"CRT TV.
rsjaurr is offline   Reply With Quote