Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread

Old 28th September 2006, 00:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

PM me your mobile number. Lets see if we can find out whats wrong.
Old 28th September 2006, 00:47   #17
Team-BHP Support

By the way have you checked the settings? By any chance, could it be that someone played a prank on you and set on the "Stop all outgoing calls" in your settings? This can effectively block all outgoing calls... just as you can stop call diversion, voice mail service etc. And yes, they all change the setting at the service provider level through SIM action. Check it out.

About Airtel's bad service, well it has remained so now since last one year. I got tired last year and left them when their stupid call center guy gave me some BS that was too much for me to handle. I went to Kolkata on roaming on a prepaid connection. I noticed that they were deducting money from my account illogically. However when even after landing back here in Hyderabad the process still continnued for two days I called them up. First they tried to feed me bull about some due payments for roaming which they were deducting. But I soon established that it was not so. That is when came the mother of all jack-*** statements. Apparently my mobile was still catching the kolkata tower and hence I was being treated as being on roaming! Go figure... I did not not what to say. They do not understand the basics of GSM architecture and how the cells (towers) work and think they can feed any bull to unsuspecting customers. I promptly left Airtel after that.

Last edited by Zappo : 28th September 2006 at 00:48.
Old 28th September 2006, 01:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
PM me your mobile number. Lets see if we can find out whats wrong.
The "Top People" at Airtel (Haryana) have told me everything is in order and so should work. Will give it a whizz in the morning. If not I will send you the number.
Old 28th September 2006, 15:34   #19
BHPian

Guys, dont get me going on Airtel. I have a corporate blackberry connection and In 2005 and early 2006 I had free international GPRS roaming on my blackberry. Then suddenly during a trip in Apr-May, I was charged Rs. 7 per hour of blackberry roaming (which change to the tariff plan they had not informed either me or my company about). One of their call center persons, Rohit, promised to reverse the charges (since I had not been charged on earlier trips), but I cannot get him on the line again and the others just keep repeating the line ´if you have used it during international roaming, we cannot reverse it´.

On this trip, when I have finally figured that I dont need my blackberry on for the whole trip and limit it to about 2 hours a day, they have informed me that they are now going to charge a one-time GPRS roaming of Rs. 7,000/-.

Can you beat that? They change their tariff plans quicker than anyone can digest, to hell with informing the customer. I guess since they are the only provider for blackberry service in Karnataka, they can get away with murder.

Does anyone have TRAI´s contact details where one can lodge a complaint?
Old 28th September 2006, 15:52   #20
Senior - BHPian

Here you go:

www.trai.gov.in
Old 28th September 2006, 16:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

i can understand & empathise with you. these call centre dudes are the most stupid people that you have the good fortune of not meeting. they are worse than machines. they just know to spit out what they have been told. it can be very annoying when you are trying to get a message across if they keep repeating the same damn thing. and they will wish you "Have a Good day" in the middle of the night. they are that stupid. the best thing that you could do (& i have done that) is to walk into your local Airtel office or better still the main office & sort out the problem across the counter. there's bound to be one smart dude in that office who will understand & clear your problem.
cheers
Old 28th September 2006, 18:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i can understand & empathise with you. these call centre dudes are the most stupid people that you have the good fortune of not meeting. they are worse than machines. they just know to spit out what they have been told. it can be very annoying when you are trying to get a message across if they keep repeating the same damn thing.
Not to justify your experience, but have you put yourselves in their shoes? Having to answer a few hundred calls from all sorts of morons (amongst genuine customers) every day? Morons who call up in the middle of the night to give gaali just because its a toll-free number? Morons who cant make out the difference between a mobile phone and the chappal on their feet.

As part of our management training programme, I've spent a month in the call centre of a telecom operator. Taking calls, listening to nonsense, listening to drunken idiots ranting (and sometimes singing) in the middle of the night.

Its not an easy job. However, that does not justify their inability to resolve the problem.

Quote:
and they will wish you "Have a Good day" in the middle of the night. they are that stupid.
Do you know how much of an effort it takes to sound cheerful and wish people after taking a complaint? AND do you know how much of gaali is poured out at you AFTER the call is completed?
Old 30th September 2006, 02:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

Finally after nearly a week someone pulled their finger out and resolved the problem. Everything working like clockwork again. Dont know what they did but after contacting a few senior people at Bharti they got their act together and sorted the problem out. People from Airtel who were not concerned went out of their way to sort the problem out. It is good they have sorted the problem out, just a shame that I had to involve senior figures to resolve it.
Old 6th October 2006, 14:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Not to justify your experience, but have you put yourselves in their shoes? Having to answer a few hundred calls from all sorts of morons (amongst genuine customers) every day? Morons who call up in the middle of the night to give gaali just because its a toll-free number? Morons who cant make out the difference between a mobile phone and the chappal on their feet.

As part of our management training programme, I've spent a month in the call centre of a telecom operator. Taking calls, listening to nonsense, listening to drunken idiots ranting (and sometimes singing) in the middle of the night.

Its not an easy job. However, that does not justify their inability to resolve the problem.

Do you know how much of an effort it takes to sound cheerful and wish people after taking a complaint? AND do you know how much of gaali is poured out at you AFTER the call is completed?
I feel the problem lies in selecting the right people for the job. i presume that, because these are mass recruitments, quality has been compromised.
Any tom, dick & harry who has finished high school & can yap a few lines in english are straightaway inducted (Sometimes even the language part is compromised). This, everyone knows, is the easiest available job ever in the market, after sales. i doubt if this is the quality our call centres working for european or american companies provide. If they did, they wont be in business anymore.

steeroid, i am quite aware of the difficulties of their job, any job has its own problems. i have to face up to a 100 morons everyday in my job too, sometimes over the phone also & make them understand something that i know for sure they will not. but the job has to be done. every job has its own charms & difficulties. i can empathise with them on those counts, but the point i am making is that they are so ill-informed & ignorant that they cannot understand the requirements of the customer. the starting lines & ending lines are repeated without fail & without even being aware of what they are saying. i hope that culture stops.

just for the record, the worst experiences that i have had, have come from Aircel/Airtel/DishTV.

The best experiences have always come from one place...Citibank. very courteous (Really, not with phony welcome lines) & helpful & smart.

steeroid, please do not take this personal. i hope i have made my point clearly. cheers
Old 7th October 2006, 01:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I feel the problem lies in selecting the right people for the job. i presume that, because these are mass recruitments, quality has been compromised.
Any tom, dick & harry who has finished high school & can yap a few lines in english are straightaway inducted (Sometimes even the language part is compromised). This, everyone knows, is the easiest available job ever in the market, after sales. i doubt if this is the quality our call centres working for european or american companies provide. If they did, they wont be in business anymore.

steeroid, i am quite aware of the difficulties of their job, any job has its own problems. i have to face up to a 100 morons everyday in my job too, sometimes over the phone also & make them understand something that i know for sure they will not. but the job has to be done. every job has its own charms & difficulties. i can empathise with them on those counts, but the point i am making is that they are so ill-informed & ignorant that they cannot understand the requirements of the customer. the starting lines & ending lines are repeated without fail & without even being aware of what they are saying. i hope that culture stops.

just for the record, the worst experiences that i have had, have come from Aircel/Airtel/DishTV.

The best experiences have always come from one place...Citibank. very courteous (Really, not with phony welcome lines) & helpful & smart.

steeroid, please do not take this personal. i hope i have made my point clearly. cheers
I know a bit off topic but the British Airways staff in Delhi are also very good when it comes to customer service over the telephone. Same with the Lufthansa service. Just a shame that some companies have lowered their standards to make up the numbers.
Old 7th October 2006, 03:20   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
I know a bit off topic but the British Airways staff in Delhi are also very good when it comes to customer service over the telephone. Same with the Lufthansa service. Just a shame that some companies have lowered their standards to make up the numbers.
BA/Luftansa flies a few hundred passengers every day. Airtel, Reliance, Hutch, Idea and BSNL handle more than 10 million customers each daily - therein lies the difference.

As for numbers - we have absolutely the LOWEST tariffs (whether in terms of Per Minute call rates or Average Revenue per User) and the lowest Minutes of Usage per subscriber in the world today for telecoms. Yes it is a game of numbers because that is where the money is when the margins are almost close to non-existent.

Citibank, BA, Luftansa and all the other examples charge a premium for their services - naturally one would expect premium support too. Pay peanuts - get monkeys. Would you rather pay Rs.4 per minute for a call or pay Re.1 or less per minute and put up with a few (there are bad apples everywhere) crappy call centre agents? That, in a nutshell, is the point I'm trying to make. Our telecom operators are struggling despite decent cashflows. The low tariffs are killing the industry slowly - networks unable to expand in order to keep up with increasing traffic, call centres stretched beyond their capacities, support systems like billing struggling to keep up with the sheer numbers generated and all of these working on shoe-string budgets dictated by below-bargain-basement tariffs.

I've had my occassional frustrations too with the likes of Airtel and BSNL. However, given the tariffs that we're paying I'm quite happy as long as the problem gets resolved - which it ultimately does. Personally I wouldnt mind paying an small additional fee - say Rs.50 or Rs.100 per month - for 'premium service'. I think operators should offer this facility as it would help them to differentiate service levels for those who are worried about service levels - if you treat all your millions alike its quite possible that you'll end up pissing off some of your best customers in the process. Obviously this does not mean treating existing subscribers worse than what they are doing now, but raising the levels of service for the premium subscribers.

PS: Excuse my rant, but I happen to work in the industry.

Last edited by Steeroid : 7th October 2006 at 03:39.
Old 7th October 2006, 09:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Idea Cellular does offer me premium service for free.maybe because i am a postpaid subscriber and have 3 connections but maybe the prepaid fellows are not so lucky.

and yes the call center's are way overstretched,far beyond their capacity.
Old 7th October 2006, 13:14   #28
Team-BHP Support

Ok folks

Issue is resolved and Steeroid has given an excellent insight about the industry perspective.

I am closing this thread for now. If there is something to add - please PM us mods
Closed Thread